• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Argument between monfort and VDB2

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
http://sporten.tv2.dk/cykling/giro/2015-05-30-se-baks-holdkammerater-skaendes-i-maal-nu-er-de-venner-igen

Haven't seen that often happen, at least when a camera captures it.

media_xll_7756861.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I figure things like that can always happen in teams, afterwards you gotta hug it out... surprised to see Monfort so worked up though, he seems like the nicest, calmest guy

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Apparently JVDB was also pissed of when the team let Monfort ride his own race instead of forcing him to wait for him when he crashed on the Daone descent.

Re:

ppanther92 said:
I understand why guys like Monfort, JVDB, Zubeldia and the most extreme example Francis De Greef are mocked for, but a top15 in a GT i still something 90% of the riders will never achieve. So show atleast a little love. ;)
Trolling much?

Even guys like Kevin de Weert, Johnny Hoogerland and Koos Moerenhout achieved top 15 in a GC.
Hell Devolder even. :D

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
ppanther92 said:
I understand why guys like Monfort, JVDB, Zubeldia and the most extreme example Francis De Greef are mocked for, but a top15 in a GT i still something 90% of the riders will never achieve. So show atleast a little love. ;)
Trolling much?

Even guys like Kevin de Weert, Johnny Hoogerland and Koos Moerenhout achieved top 15 in a GC.
Hell Devolder even. :D

Yeah but they didn't achieved a 4th and 5(3)th place in the Tour, a 7th place in the Giro and an 8th place in the Vuelta. JVDB for example did. Mock him for being the total opposite of an attractive rider, but not for his GC skills.

No need to be so literal - I only said "top 15" because someone already brought up that figure, but it doesn't apply to De Greef, who routinely rode for a top 20-25.

The point I'm making is about riders who would aim for a decent pacing by following wheels and being invisible, typically without trying anything else.

Monfort is generally considered one of the nicest guys in the peloton. Would like to know what VDB said to him to make him so angry. VDB really needs to put lesser pressure on himself. He's a pest to be around when he's going for GC. Lotto management are clearly fed up with him and are probably happy they don't have to endure him at the tour. Wonder where he'll ride next season.

This also made me think of the time he was angry at Sarkozy :p good times

Re:

Billie said:
Monfort is generally considered one of the nicest guys in the peloton. Would like to know what VDB said to him to make him so angry. VDB really needs to put lesser pressure on himself. He's a pest to be around when he's going for GC. Lotto management are clearly fed up with him and are probably happy they don't have to endure him at the tour. Wonder where he'll ride next season.

This also made me think of the time he was angry at Sarkozy :p good times

I remember reading Fugelsang's ire to Danish TV after that full bottle incident left him looking like The Mummy. I don't get the impression that JVDB is well liked.

Is this what the argy-bargy was about in the peloton when they were winding up for the sprint that didnt really happen 't was that another guy?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
The point I'm making is about riders who would aim for a decent pacing by following wheels and being invisible, typically without trying anything else.

Are you arguing that GC guys without realistic hope to be on the podium shouldn't be GC riders, or that they should change their riding such that most of the time, they are much worse than they are now, but some incredibly small amount of the time, their huge gamble pays off and they possibly make the podium? Might of course not happen over the course of a thereby shortened career, in which case they'd just always be worse than they currently are.

TRENDING THREADS