• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

arguments in SUPPORT of regular riding shorts

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I used to wear regular riding shorts (due to them mostly being half the price of bibs), but once I tried bibs, I never turned back. I cannot possibly think of wearing regular shorts again.

I'm just wondering, why do manufacturers continue to make regular shorts?

Other than the financial reasons, is there anybody that LIKES regular riding shorts? Just curious.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I swear by bibs and will never go back to regular shorts but there is one, non financial, complaint I must voice.

You ever get pre race jitters and have to use the john? With bibs on your pretty much have to get naked just to take a dump! And if your not carful, the bibs touch the nasty floor. Regular shorts are much better for this application but not for riding. Plus, the bibs hold my beer gut in better.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I wear both. I generally like bibs better, but living in the tropics, I find them hot on my back. I also don't like them with a pull-over jersey. I only started to wear full-zip jersey after getting bibs. They also slow-down my frequent fast-change to swim trunks after a ride before a cool-down few laps in the pool.
I paid less than $50 for my Nalini bibs, so I wouldn't call price the excuse for not trying them.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a few pairs of regular riding shorts in addition to a collection of bibs.

The advantages of regular riding shorts are few, but here they are:

1. Ease of using the restroom

2. Good to wear under bib tights that do not have padding

3. Good to wear under other clothing while commuting

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Why do they make them? It's a really easy answer. There are lots of people who wear them on their commuter or trekking bikes. They wear regular clothing on top so bibs aren't a great option if you want to tuck your shirt into your shorts...

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
dajonker said:
Why do they make them? It's a really easy answer. There are lots of people who wear them on their commuter or trekking bikes. They wear regular clothing on top so bibs aren't a great option if you want to tuck your shirt into your shorts...

People wear regular clothing while wearing spandex???

Do they think spandex shorts are cool? Why go half way? I can't figure it out.

TRENDING THREADS