• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong challenged by skier.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:
http://translate.google.com/transla...9/08/18/084013.htm&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I think this could be tough for Lance. Norwegian skiers have insane VO2 maxes (The retired Norwegian skier Bjorn Daehlie has the second highest VO2max ever at 96, only beaten by Contador who has a VO2 max of over 100.) and Lance's is 70-80-somthing.

Judging from these numbers I predict the Skier beats him by 17-18 seconds.
Sounds interesting ... but I wonder why:
Thor Hushovd sheep are not just allowed to run ;) (Gotta love google translator, ay??!)

Seriously, it should be an interesting race ... I ski during the winter here, and like you say, it's way more aerobic - and I reckon needs more leg strength - than cycling ... Subject to the course - and whether or not Thor and his sheep get in the way - my money's on the skier (and not just 'cos I don't like armstrong) ... :)

Oh, and BTW - and at risk of replicating the thread about Coyle's paper on armstrong - Dhaelie's 96 VO2 was pre-season ... so god knows what it would've been measured at in season ....!!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:
http://translate.google.com/transla...9/08/18/084013.htm&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I think this could be tough for Lance. Norwegian skiers have insane VO2 maxes (The retired Norwegian skier Bjorn Daehlie has the second highest VO2max ever at 96, only beaten by Contador who has a VO2 max of over 100.) and Lance's is 70-80-somthing.

Judging from these numbers I predict the Skier beats him by 17-18 seconds.

And Contador was celebrating while hitting his max. It could have actually been much higher.

Cyclists, in the past have excelled at winter sports as well. Pierre Harvey was world class in both XC Skiing and cycling ca. 1980 and Clara Hughes medalled in Summer (TT) and winter (Long Track Speed Skating) ca. 2000.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:

Yeah Contador has a VO2max over 100. The only person on the planet to do so and he is over 5% better than second best. Nice try. Be realistic, given the garbage and figures from Vayer, Andy Schleck would have a VO2max over 90 as well. Until someone releases verifiable data there is only speculation.

Not surprised by Scandanavian endurance skiers though. Most of the VO2max stuff is just PR bull, saying "look at me I'm awesome." Kenenisa Bekele the world champ, Olympic champ and WR holder for the 10,000 and 5000 metres would have to have an enormous V02max as well. The guy is bordering on unbeatable.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Old Derailleur-in-the-mist said:
Cyclists, in the past have excelled at winter sports as well. Pierre Harvey was world class in both XC Skiing and cycling ca. 1980 and Clara Hughes medalled in Summer (TT) and winter (Long Track Speed Skating) ca. 2000.

Not to mention Eric Heiden.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I believe it is clear that Northug will not be allowed to start. IMO not such a good idea to let him ride unless it was beyond doubt that he has the necessary skills to ride a high-level technical downtown criterium.

He is not on the start list.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cartesian Centaur said:
Well, it might not happen, but I absolutely would not bet against Northug in a race of any kind - that guy's got the most amazing sprint finish I've ever seen (sorry Cav.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLDnp__1ao

He's a total animal.

Thanks for the vid!!! He is amazing...I live in SE USA and don't see much nordic skiing...but really like it!! Those guys are freaks baby...freaks!!

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Northug is a good skier, but he would have been dropped within 3 minutes. No bunch riding skils and he don't have 'nuff power in the legs. Strong arms don't help in cycling...

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Nordic skiiers are nothing special they have high VO2 values due to using their upper and lower body. COnsidering that the difference is not that much - they would get battered in a sport with true strength in depth in terms of competiion. That's why they stay in the nordic skiiers niche.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
Nordic skiiers are nothing special they have high VO2 values due to using their upper and lower body. COnsidering that the difference is not that much - they would get battered in a sport with true strength in depth in terms of competiion. That's why they stay in the nordic skiiers niche.

Oh yes and that's why cyclists who have the "depth in terms of competition" excel in other sports like running and swimming too...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:

Didn't the Cromagnon go extinct...if not they sure will with moronic statements like this!!!

cromagnon said:

Nordic skiier are far more versatile than alot of other atheletes. It's a sport that requires good aerobic potential but also alot of upper body and leg strength.

I'd like to see a cyclist try to do anything aerobic with 15kg more of muscles.

sadfitty said:
Northug is a good skier, but he would have been dropped within 3 minutes. No bunch riding skils and he don't have 'nuff power in the legs. Strong arms don't help in cycling...

Exactly. It's one thing to let Hermann Maier race the Tour prologue where he couldn't disrupt the other competitors but letting someone who is not trained in riding in a bunch into a professional race would be irresponsible.

Of all the sports I've done, and competed in, XC Skiing is the hardest. It's incredibly taxing, more than cycling even. Your HR hovers in and out of O2 debt constantly, and recovery takes longer. You are also affected by temperature fluctuations which are hard to control. It's brutal. (Never tried rowing. My understanding is that long distance rowing is up there).

Northug is indeed an animal. Incredible ability to accelerate on skis when everyone else is at the limit. He's very driven, and has a hard headed attitude, like every race is to the death. He was a quadruple gold medalist at this year's World's. But he has been beaten.

Bjorn Daehlie was probably the best XC skier ever. He won over and over, everything. And he got started winning before the EPO era really took off. (Yes, XCS has had almost as many problems as cycling). Another guy very close on that top list is Thomas Alsgaard, who now happens to be Northug's teacher.

XC Skiers have frequently excelled at other sports. Vegard Ulvang was a powerhouse in other sports, and climbed Mt. Everest.

Andy Hampsten, Sean Kelly, other cyclists, Stefan Edberg, many athletes have used XC skiing for cross training in winter to not only stay fit, but arguably increase your fitness. But you do use your upper body much more in XC skiing than cycling.

TRDean said:
I live in SE USA and don't see much nordic skiing...but really like it!!
Universal Sports covered the nordic World Cup tour this past winter. Many of the races were with no commentary other than what was on the event loudspeaker - in several languages (!). Even if you don't get Universal TV, they are free on the web, and very high quality webcasting. Very professional. Racing should start this December.

Petter Northug:

Petter_Northug_i_Li_546543c.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Petter Northug is a fantastic talent, who hopefully only will get better. But he would have no chance against Lance or other professional cyclists. He don't train a lot of cycling. But if he did cycling 100 percent I reckon he would be pretty good at it. Arvesen also was a good skier in his youth, but he choose cycling. And Dæhlie is the best cross-country skier ever IMO.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Of all the sports I've done, and competed in, XC Skiing is the hardest. It's incredibly taxing, more than cycling even. Your HR hovers in and out of O2 debt constantly, and recovery takes longer. You are also affected by temperature fluctuations which are hard to control. It's brutal. (Never tried rowing. My understanding is that long distance rowing is up there).

Northug is indeed an animal. Incredible ability to accelerate on skis when everyone else is at the limit. He's very driven, and has a hard headed attitude, like every race is to the death. He was a quadruple gold medalist at this year's World's. But he has been beaten.

Bjorn Daehlie was probably the best XC skier ever. He won over and over, everything. And he got started winning before the EPO era really took off. (Yes, XCS has had almost as many problems as cycling). Another guy very close on that top list is Thomas Alsgaard, who now happens to be Northug's teacher.

XC Skiers have frequently excelled at other sports. Vegard Ulvang was a powerhouse in other sports, and climbed Mt. Everest.

Andy Hampsten, Sean Kelly, other cyclists, Stefan Edberg, many athletes have used XC skiing for cross training in winter to not only stay fit, but arguably increase your fitness. But you do use your upper body much more in XC skiing than cycling.

Universal Sports covered the nordic World Cup tour this past winter. Many of the races were with no commentary other than what was on the event loudspeaker - in several languages (!). Even if you don't get Universal TV, they are free on the web, and very high quality webcasting. Very professional. Racing should start this December.

Petter Northug:

Petter_Northug_i_Li_546543c.jpg

Alpe...totally agree with you there. In the mid 80's I spent 2 winters in Bethel Maine XC skiing to increase fittness for the cycling season. Wow it was brutal.

I remember one time a few of us were allowed to enter a highschool race (just for fun and to compete with the kids). They absolutely kicked our asses!!! I mean it was over before it began. I didn't beat a single kid!!! Freakin amazing...and I have the utmost respect for these athletes!! They are true studs in every sense of the word.

On my second trip up I actually threw my back out (herniated disk) and have not been right since. But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!!

Thanks for telling me how to watch. There is no XC Skiing in NC!!

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Actually he did...if he didn't we wouldn't be here. He was phased out.
Cro-magnon is just used for the early modern humans. At a certain point, modern humans were no longer 'early', but that doesn't mean the population died out. Neanderthals went extinct, cro-magnon people just continued to stick around, having children, eventually producing us.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Cro-magnon is just used for the early modern humans. At a certain point, modern humans were no longer 'early', but that doesn't mean the population died out. Neanderthals went extinct, cro-magnon people just continued to stick around, having children, eventually producing us.

blasphomy I say!!! LOL...just kidding!!

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree that cross country skiers are amazing athletes. (especially since I am one myself :rolleyes:) Not many other athletes are as versatile. World class cc skiers can typically run 3000m track in less than 9 minutes, bench press 100 kg, do 20-25 pull ups ect. Quite impressive....However, few cc skiers will have a FTP of more than 340-360 watts do to lack of specific training. Combine that with a heavy upper body, and you do not get a world class cyclist. There's no way a skier can keep up with a 430 watt FTP skeleton....

sadfitty said:
I agree that cross country skiers are amazing athletes. (especially since I am one myself :rolleyes:) Not many other athletes are as versatile. World class cc skiers can typically run 3000m track in less than 9 minutes, bench press 100 kg, do 20-25 pull ups ect. Quite impressive....However, few cc skiers will have a FTP of more than 340-360 watts do to lack of specific training. Combine that with a heavy upper body, and you do not get a world class cyclist. There's no way a skier can keep up with a 430 watt FTP skeleton....
being one of those skinny climber types i must agree. i think you gravitate to
sports you can do well in, that are fun. i have done weight training for years, but i'm not ever going to bulk up in any big way, unless i just get fat.
i ran/run cross country and the harder the course, the better for me.
i watched the cross country skiing on universal and those people are pushing hard for sure. they look so in control and then cross the line and fall over.
it's hard to compare, because most people excel in something they love doing. you can be very good at other sports, but usually there is one that stands out. the decathlon looks brutal, just a slugfest.:cool:

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
The guy is very fit and great at his sport but he rides a bike like a Moose.
Glad he didn't race, plenty of athletes can join in during traning runs but racing with le pros is a different matter.
I am sure this was just a self publiicty stunt and a bemused Armstrong, himself a talented multi sport athlete didnt bat an eyelid.
I think "Mr Nordic" twin tracks should have a go on le velodrome, going round in circles watching the blue line is probably the best place for for him.

zz

TRENDING THREADS