• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong: Contador is "nervous"

Lance Armstrong knows what Contador's problem is: he is too nervous! In an interivew on L'Equipe he again said that Contador still had a lot to learn, and „with much respect, he is too nervous! He is too strong to be nervous!“

Is Contador nervous, and why? He certainly didn't have the strongest team at Paris-Nice to support him.

Or is he lacking self-confidence for some other reason? Like not knowing whether he will be captain at the Tour?

Armstrong also said that he wants to ride a good Giro but doesn't plan to peak until the TdF.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Contador is Nervous

I love this. So begins the more overt portion of Lance's psychological campaign against Contador. Of course Bert is nervous. Like him or not, Lance is a rare competitor with an amazing mind. He will wage war and win. Good times. I enjoy watching Contador climb, and though I am not fond of Lance off the bike, I prefer watching warriors on the bike. Bert is too nice...for now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
They'll ride together next week in Spain, that should resolve some issues. What i don't get is why Armstrong is constantly talking about Contador. First that bs about some learning he needs to do, he won 3 grand tours, what's he talking about? And now this about him being nervous. It's almost like he is trying to make AC nervous.

Armstrong-Contador

I can't wait for Contador to crush his *** when they race together. Big fan of Lance, but his comments about Contador are getting to be ridiculous. Alberto, this is a game designed to get in your head, don't sweat the small stuff. Lance is just insecure about not being team leader automatically. Work your pedals in Castilla y Leon and the rest will take care of itself.

Alberto Contador knows what Armstrong's problem is: he is too cantankerous! In an interivew that I just made up, he again said that Armstrong is really old and kind of an ***, and "with much respect, he is too cantankerous!"

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sheesh, I'd be nervous too having a D.S. joined at the hip with Armstrong, and riding on a team where who rides for whom is open to debate every day - even on race day. Contador, when are you going to wise up? Armstrong is using you as a tool.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Johnny said:
I love this. So begins the more overt portion of Lance's psychological campaign against Contador. Of course Bert is nervous. Like him or not, Lance is a rare competitor with an amazing mind. He will wage war and win. Good times. I enjoy watching Contador climb, and though I am not fond of Lance off the bike, I prefer watching warriors on the bike. Bert is too nice...for now.

Johnny,

don't forget in the first place there were journalists from L'Equipe asking questions.
I also like watching Alberto climb. BTW I have seen him in real last Friday on his way up to the Montagne de Lure.

Theo

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
If anyone had made comments about Armstrong similar to those he is making about Contador, he would have sh*t all over them. The man's ego knows no bounds.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Since Mr Armstrong chooses to overlook the obvious, I'll point it out for him.

Unlike LA's Tour run from '99 to '05, what Contador failed to receive at Paris-Nice was the benefit of 7 blue and yellow clad Astana team mates doing all of the work for him until the last 10K. If "Mellow Johnnie" had been in AC's position, that is, isolated with 40K to go, I don't see him faring any better.

To say that his criticism is misplaced is putting it lightly. That, along with Bruyneel apparently beginning to show signs of "taking sides" in this little intra-squad drama, is probably causing AC to start daydreaming of taking the leadership reins for another outfit next year.

This is so 1986 all over again. Hinault (LA) vows to "help" the understudy, Lemond (AC). And we all remember how that turned out.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Can't believe LA being such an hypocritic ***! First, he admits Contador just bonked ("happens to all of us"), and then we see this load of crap about him being nervous and ****...
LA's just dropped low in my eyes..didn't expect that from him.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I was a big Lance fan -- until I read this garbage in L'Equipe. First, WHY IN THE WORLD is he speaking to L'Equipe after the headline "The Armstrong Lie" after he retired at the end of the 2005 TdF??? Smart, Lance. Really smart.

Second, WHY IN THE WORLD take a jab at your own teammate in the press??? His OWN TEAMMATE!!! :confused: Shut your mouth and keep it inside the team. But he can't help himself.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bartoli said:
TWhat i don't get is why Armstrong is constantly talking about Contador.

It is really not that hard to understand. Armstrong is a media w-h-o-r-e (Can you believe this site censors that word. You have to be kidding me!). He will say anything to get himself in the press. This is a guy who carries around a Blackberry set to alert him whenever he is mentioned in the press. He alerts the media who he is dating. He is perfectly willing to badmouth teammates if it will get him a little attention. It has nothing to do with phycological games.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong is if not the most popular, he is one of the most popular cyclists today. Every word he says will be reported by the media. Hope everything is ok w/ my fav team, Astana. :)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
couldn't you just see it coming?

One glance at the team Astana sent to Paris-Nice tells it all: Bruyneel is saving the good horses for Lance to use, wherever and whenever he wants them-- and this isn't the first time Bruyneel has done this. I seem to remember Hincapie riding for GC in big races, but Bruyneel giving him a very weak supporting cast. Guys like Contador and Horner are too classy to be with a team like Astana; hope they wind up elsewhere.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
2wheels said:
Guys like Contador and Horner are too classy to be with a team like Astana; hope they wind up elsewhere.

At this stage in his career Horner is glad he has a job in Europe. He is not going anywhere, especially after he spent nearly his whole career being ostracized by the "cool kids." You think it was an accident that a rider dominating the U.S. domestic scene never got hired by U.S. Postal while american neo pros with were?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a bit early to say that Astana are favouring Lance.

And to be fair to Lance himself, he did also say Contador was the best rider around didn't he?

Hope one can't get banned for posting another site's satirical take of this whole issue.;)
tturns128.jpg

In which case, I'd be nervous!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Lance's legacy

I had understood and hoped that Lance would concentrate on riding and winning the Gyro for the first time for himself, and then help Alberto to win the Tour de France. This would add to his legacy and show that he can be an unselfish team rider who can give as good as he takes, as he did in California. But maybe he's just keeping the other riders guessing as to what his true Gyro plans are. Or just maybe he's doing a mind game on L'Equipe. They deserve it!

In any case, it's going to be a fascinating cycling season, the crowds will double, the TV coverage will triple, and TV sponsors will return because people are again paying attention to cycling. All due to Lance.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong vs Contador

Seems to me it would be better for LA to keep his thoughts and comments to himself. If I were Contador I wouldn't want to hear what he said! I think Alberto is fully aware of what he did/didn't do in Paris-Nice and doesn't need a teammate making comments. Come on JB - step in here!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll take nervous over narcissistic

Stating that Contador is nervous in the context of this years Paris-Nice would seem to imply that he (Alberto) should have relied on his team more instead of being nervous and using up energy to gain so much time, and win stage 6?
To me it looked more like Alberto was the only one on Astana that had any capacity to ride this race.

Where was his team?

BTW -- "Narcissism describes the trait of excessive self-love, based on self-image or ego. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others."

If this does not describe Lordstrong then I'll eat my sweaty cycling cap

mr. tibbs said:
Alberto Contador knows what Armstrong's problem is: he is too cantankerous! In an interivew that I just made up, he again said that Armstrong is really old and kind of an ***, and "with much respect, he is too cantankerous!"

Mr. Tibbs, you just made my day. Your post brought tears to my eyes! Quite funny!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Future scandal is looming...

Doesn't anyone question Contador's meteoric rise to time trialing greatness? I will lay out a prediction that he will be involved in some drug connection soon...another tainted Tour de France connection. I just don't see this 140 lb guy being able to crank like that naturally.

On the Lance/Contador front, I see a Fignon/Lemond repeat at the Tour. Whether your a Lance or a Contador fan, I think it will be pretty exciting to watch - alot better than the sleepfest we had at last year's Tour.

Baggins27 said:
I think it's a bit early to say that Astana are favouring Lance.

And to be fair to Lance himself, he did also say Contador was the best rider around didn't he?

I'm sure all the above was typed in between loud belches from guzzling a pitcher of the Armstrong kool-aid.

Armstrong said the same thing about Ullrich before surgically dismantling him for 7 years straight. He said that Pantani was the world's greatest climber just before chasing him down as if attached to a race moto on one of Pantani's many attacks. This before gapping Pantani significantly on the beginning of Mount Ventoux, only to have Pantani valiantly bridge back up to Armstrong, along with Armstrong drop everyone and nip him at the line for the summit win. Oh, he felt the need to let the press know that he let the greatest climber in the world, or "sh*t starter" as he called him, win the stage.

Mind games aplenty. That kool-aid is tainted.

TRENDING THREADS