• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong / contador must attack each other - sunday

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
something tells me an inner team deal was brokered at Astana. Alberto in Yellow for stage win on Ventoux

props to lance today for saying he didnt have it

mad legs for 37 regardless

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
No way. On Ventoux all the other contenders will drop Armstrong faster than Paris Hilton drops her panties.

Even Evans having a bad day managed to come in ahead of Armstrong.

+100000

Armstrong will never be able to drop any other contenders on Ventoux. If that were happening that could only be a miraculous effect of God Ferrari, but I do believe he would have already used that miracle if he had.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
poupou said:
+100000

Armstrong will never be able to drop any other contenders on Ventoux. If that were happening that could only be a miraculous effect of God Ferrari, but I do believe he would have already used that miracle if he had.

It does amaze me how sure of themselves people around here can be...;)

Anyhow, in my opinion, more mature legs (read Armstrong, Evans, Sastre, Vandevelde) deal better with the rigors of a 3 week tour than younger ones. I mean, where else in the world is 25 considered "young"? Most sports you're practically past your prime by then.

And considering how brutal the 3rd week is going to be, there is still a lot of room for movement on the leaderboard. If any of these stages were one day races, yeah, they might be easy to predict. But cumulative fatigue is a whole lot harder to prognosticate, and my money is on the older riders (and maybe AC due to his insane talent).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Coach Hawk said:
I mean, where else in the world is 25 considered "young"? Most sports you're practically past your prime by then.

Actually, in many sports the peak age is much closer to 30 than 20. Take a look at the NBA, MLB, PGA, and many other professional leagues and you'll find that the top performers are usually in their late twenties (Kobe, Jordan). That's not to say that there aren't usually a few exceptional young players (as there are in cycling),but even then those players don't reach their peak until later.

iceaxe

BANNED
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong may have simply lost his fear of losing. I think intensity is really lacking in a lot of the racers. It seems more like an old boys club. I'd like to see how they'd race if the loser would be skinned alive. otoh, the endurance aspect of going out almost everyday for 3 weeks might punish intensity at some point.