• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong in Amstel Gold - significance?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Scott SoCal said:
I think it will be great to watch the transformation of a great GT rider into a great one-day classics rider.

I hope he does RvV and P-R. He'll probably give Boonen a run.

It'll be great to wtch alright but not watch him befcome a 'great one day classics rider'. Great start, get hammered and dropout rider. Give Boonen a run, maybe to the portapots before the race or maybe to the sticky bun table but not during the race.

racerralph said:
Sorry but, LA couldn't win it when Dekker and Boogerd were there, he isn't going to win it now, when HIS legs aren't there.

Exactly-- when LA tries to win, a Rabobanker sits on and then takes him at the finish.

Who will be the Rabo rider to sit on Lance's wheel and then beat him in the sprint this year? My money is on Gesink.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Miles ahead of Cunego..? Yes!

I think ballsolo can beat Cunego.

I watched Lance in the Giro,Nevada City, Tour, Leadville.

Of course Nevada City and Leadville are minor races. Greg won Nevada city.

Check out that course, not for poosies. Also I don't know mountain bikes but from what I understand Leadville also is not for poosies.

How did Lance compare to Cunego in the 09 Giro and Tour?

I think Lance also knows how to win classics and one day races. Plus he is psyco and tougher than Cunego.

Armstrong used to be very competitive in this race even early in his Tour build-up. A number of epic battles with Eric Dekker and Michael Boogerd where he came up just short.

But what we have seen since the comeback is an Armstrong who can hang well with the front group but cannot match or make the decisive attacks. Amstel has a ton of little hills and corners in the last 40K that are all decisive. My prediction for LA would be to make the front selection and then get dropped from the last group of 10ish riders with around 15K to go. It just looks like the pop and the really top-end anaerobic ability has gone from him which is of course not surprising given his age and years away from racing.

This is now a race for Cunego, Gilbert, Evans, Valverde, and maybe Pozzato.

Edit: Boonen has also talked about making a run at the Ardennes Classics as well, maybe this is the year although I'd think he'd be better off focusing on the cobbles where he shines.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Lance is doing what he said he would do, go back to tried and tested basics on his Tour prep, with Paris the sole goal. he even said that the one exception to "normal" being the TdU. Looking back on 2009, he felt he did too much in the run up to the Tour, races and speaking engagements, and that that hurt him in the Tour. This year it's not about "cancer" at all.

So he's doing Amstel Gold. Yup, that's exactly what I'd expected given his statement that he would prepare like the old days. A preparation he knows, a race he knows. A test outcome that he can measure against something he knows. Then, like now, he will use Amstel to test himself. It shows he is dead serious about the TdF this time around.

He's racing Amstel. It's all about the Tour. That's where the "significance" stops for me.

In 2009 his TdF preparation had been less than ideal. He stated that to have any chance he will have to have a perfect run-up, so he has obviously decided to take the preparation play book that suited him before his retirement.

There's quite a few folk whose focus is on races like this, not as prep, but as a real goal. I also feel that they'll have a kick that Lance didn't show at all last year. Sure, Lance will be well motivated to snatch an Amstel win if the opportunity arises. The dream to win here has been in his head for a long time. But if he couldn't do it when he was at his best, I can't see where the extra magic comes from in a body that has new limitations.

I suspect he'll be pretty match-fit though, training wise. Probably more than he was last year. But can't see where the extra kick will come from, at all. It was absent all through 2009, painfully so.

My head tells me that one additional spin around the sun, at his age, is more likely to wipe out most of the training gain, if not all, than the reverse. His absolute single-minded focus, and last last chance, might give a wee bit extra this season. He might once again cling on to head of the race, Amstel and Tour.

But the new limit is a red line in the sand that bodies don't cross. Gone, won't come back. He's just short of winner's stuff. Which, in my mind, is pretty decent for an old git just a couple of years younger than this old git.

A

Anonymous

Bustedknuckle said:
It'll be great to wtch alright but not watch him befcome a 'great one day classics rider'. Great start, get hammered and dropout rider. Give Boonen a run, maybe to the portapots before the race or maybe to the sticky bun table but not during the race.

Ok, now I have a complex.

I thought TFF used to joke around about having to explain his comments (jokes, irony, etc.). Now I know what he was writing about...

BikeCentric said:
It just looks like the pop and the really top-end anaerobic ability has gone from him which is of course not surprising given his age and years away from racing.
Certainly possible. But last year his "years away from racing" was four. This year it's zero. That, and additional training since last season, might have improved his top-end and anaerobic ability over last year despite his age.

With those considerations in mind, ow much would you be willing to bet that he won't win?

Francois the Postman said:
Lance is doing what he said he would do, go back to tried and tested basics on his Tour prep, with Paris the sole goal. he even said that the one exception to "normal" being the TdU. Looking back on 2009, he felt he did too much in the run up to the Tour, races and speaking engagements, and that that hurt him in the Tour. This year it's not about "cancer" at all.

So he's doing Amstel Gold. Yup, that's exactly what I'd expected given his statement that he would prepare like the old days. A preparation he knows, a race he knows. A test outcome that he can measure against something he knows. Then, like now, he will use Amstel to test himself. It shows he is dead serious about the TdF this time around.

He's racing Amstel. It's all about the Tour. That's where the "significance" stops for me.

In 2009 his TdF preparation had been less than ideal. He stated that to have any chance he will have to have a perfect run-up, so he has obviously decided to take the preparation play book that suited him before his retirement.

There's quite a few folk whose focus is on races like this, not as prep, but as a real goal. I also feel that they'll have a kick that Lance didn't show at all last year. Sure, Lance will be well motivated to snatch an Amstel win if the opportunity arises. The dream to win here has been in his head for a long time. But if he couldn't do it when he was at his best, I can't see where the extra magic comes from in a body that has new limitations.

I suspect he'll be pretty match-fit though, training wise. Probably more than he was last year. But can't see where the extra kick will come from, at all. It was absent all through 2009, painfully so.

My head tells me that one additional spin around the sun, at his age, is more likely to wipe out most of the training gain, if not all, than the reverse. His absolute single-minded focus, and last last chance, might give a wee bit extra this season. He might once again cling on to head of the race, Amstel and Tour.

But the new limit is a red line in the sand that bodies don't cross. Gone, won't come back. He's just short of winner's stuff. Which, in my mind, is pretty decent for an old git just a couple of years younger than this old git.
This would have made sense, except for the announcement noted before your post that he's also racing in Flanders and LBL this year. How is that "normal"? So much for TdU being the only exception...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I think the last time Armstrong raced LBL was the year Tyler won. He was tacticly clueless that day, burning too many matches in the run in.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
This would have made sense, except for the announcement noted before your post that he's also racing in Flanders and LBL this year. How is that "normal"? So much for TdU being the only exception
Ninety5rpm said:
So he's done LBL before (I didn't remember that) and he's adding Flanders for cobblestone preparation because of cobblestone-riddled Stage 3 of this year's Tour.

So, it still appears to be all about the Tour.

Think you found my take on this already then :)

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
I think the last time Armstrong raced LBL was the year Tyler won. He was tacticly clueless that day, burning too many matches in the run in.

Was that the year he chased down Axel Merckx (which really pissed off Eddy)?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Come on, man, this isn't twitter. A little more attention to grammar and punctuation would be appreciated because it would make your posts less difficult to read.

Haha. I know the kid your talking about. He's only 15. I tell him all the time to double check his spelling (use Chrome it spell checks). Oh well. I have to agree with him though. Evens, Schlecks, Cunego but I will throw Kirchen in for a win. Lance may get a top 10 helping someone like Horner.

Scott SoCal said:
Was that the year he chased down Axel Merckx (which really pissed off Eddy)?

Yes, LA and Bartoli chased down Axel. Eddy was NOT pleased. 2003. 7 years ago. As others have mentioned, he might be near the front, but I doubt if he'll be able to match the accelerations when the kids (Schleck, Cunego, et al) make their moves.

Slightly OT, don't forget Spartacus wants to win all 5 Monuments, so he's another to watch out for when LBL rolls around.

Ninety5rpm said:
So he's done LBL before (I didn't remember that) and he's adding Flanders for cobblestone preparation because of cobblestone-riddled Stage 3 of this year's Tour.

So, it still appears to be all about the Tour.

Armstrong raced Flanders in 2002, the year Tafi won. He didn't make the front selection but he did make the first chase group and correctly sat in because his team-mate Hincapie had made the break.

I am really happy that he is racing Flanders though because that is my favorite race by far and now I can watch it on TV! :D

BikeCentric said:
Armstrong raced Flanders in 2002, the year Tafi won. He didn't make the front selection but he did make the first chase group and correctly sat in because his team-mate Hincapie had made the break.

I am really happy that he is racing Flanders though because that is my favorite race by far and now I can watch it on TV! :D

He raced Flanders in 2005 and was working for Hincapie. At one point Quick Step ride up to him on the front of the chasing group of about 100 riders and tell him to get off the front as he's slowing everyone down!

3 months later an entire T-Mobile team on GDR state sponsered blood can't keep up with him. The mind boggles.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

I read about the race, and if Armstrong rode smarter, he would of won. Is Contador going to do the Ardenne Classics, or just Fleche Wallonne?

thehog said:
He raced Flanders in 2005 and was working for Hincapie. At one point Quick Step ride up to him on the front of the chasing group of about 100 riders and tell him to get off the front as he's slowing everyone down!

3 months later an entire T-Mobile team on GDR state sponsered blood can't keep up with him. The mind boggles.

Aaaargh I missed the race that year.

Justify me buying a subscription to Pro Cycling Hog, it's freakin' expensive in USD but IMHO the quality of CycleSport is taking a nosedive and I don't plan on resubbing.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Methinks the old mans eyes are too big:eek: for his legs! 38 yrs old, TDU, Tour of California, Tour of Flanders, L-B-L, Amstel Gold. And all of that in training for an attempt at capturing an 8th TdF title????
Who's he kidding? I'd bet there are piles of guarantee money flowing into his pockets as we live and breath. And I'd also wager he won't be a factor in a single one of those races.
He hasn't won any of them before, he's not about to start now, Especially when you consider that it has been more than 5 yrs. since the last time he's raced in any of the Classics. There are too many contenders with their own Classics agendas to resolve, to allow that to happen.
All IMHO:eek:

racerralph said:
Methinks the old mans eyes are too big:eek: for his legs! 38 yrs old, TDU, Tour of California, Tour of Flanders, L-B-L, Amstel Gold. And all of that in training for an attempt at capturing an 8th TdF title????
Who's he kidding? I'd bet there are piles of guarantee money flowing into his pockets as we live and breath. And I'd also wager he won't be a factor in a single one of those races.
He hasn't won any of them before, he's not about to start now, Especially when you consider that it has been more than 5 yrs. since the last time he's raced in any of the Classics. There are too many contenders with their own Classics agendas to resolve, to allow that to happen.
All IMHO:eek:

Don't forget Cataluyna, and the Dauphine. I'm guessing the thought/hope is that with so many race miles in his legs, he'll get the kick back that he had in 1999. Problem I see is that he lost it (the kick) before he retired.

That being said, I am not complaining. I want him to enter EVERY RACE humanly possible so that Versus will cover them in HD (which beats the heck out of reading text updates or watching it justin.tv).