• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong media machine

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
re: http://vimeo.com/10612816

the audacity

lets stick it in a box. make sure the corners are straight. make it look attainable, challenging, and a puzzle to figure out. everyone eventually suffers from losing it, need it and ultimately live to find it again. we are going to sell it, and people will surely follow

what am I ?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
rabbit_wants_carrot.gif

A

Anonymous

So, what is the mechanism that would allow Livestrong to "activate millions of yellow wristband wearers" ??

For me, it was seeing Lance's adverts on UK TV that made me aware I may have testicular cancer, and which prompted me to see my doctor immediately. Otherwise I may have just put the inflammation down to a cycling-related injury. As it was, within 3 weeks I had been operated on, had the cancer removed, and within a month completed the radiotherapy. Because I was made aware at an early stage, the cancer was "nipped in the bud", and there was no secondary cancer elsewhere.

I got off lightly, all things considered, so will always be grateful for the fact that I was made aware in this way, and I donated to Livestrong as a sign of gratitude.

But no, I don't think the worthy aims of the charity override whatever else Lance may have done. He isn't the first person to piggy back personal ambitions off the back of a charity, and sadly he won't be the last. I feel for the people within the charity though, and the people who have benefited from it.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bilirubin said:
The experts seem to disagree.

The experts do agree on one thing, Livestrong is riddled with conflicts of interest. The bundling of Armstrong's personal financial interests with those of the foundation may not be an issue to the groupies but it troubled them.

"This blurs the lines between the foundation and its charitable mission, and the personal gain of its founder,'' said Ken Berger, president and executive director of Charity Navigator. "It's mixing two purposes in a way that smells of a conflict of interest. The most precious thing a charitable organization has is the public's trust, and things like this put a ***** in that.''

Daniel Borochoff, founder and president of the American Institute of Philanthropy in Chicago, said he was uncomfortable with the arrangement, especially because Armstrong remains chairman of the board of the foundation. "Nonprofits have to be concerned not only with actual conflicts of interest, but the appearance of conflicts of interest,'' Borochoff said.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The experts do agree on one thing, Livestrong is riddled with conflicts of interest. The bundling of Armstrong's personal financial interests with those of the foundation may not be an issue to the groupies but it troubled them.

All I know is that the LAF is a way to ride around on a private jet and never have to pay for it out of your own pocket. Fraud made him famous and fraud is used to convert that fame into a method of living higher on the hog (tax free).

I;d be interested to see how much money LA personally spends on travel (out of his own pocket, and not reimbursed by LAF). I'd be willing to bet "not very much"

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
TexPat said:
Jesus H Christ, I wish I hadn't clicked on that link.

No sh*t! WTF does 'cure the cancer system' even mean?

What a bizarre conflux of Orwellian non-speak and marketing.

Makes you realize what a bucket of money in search of more money can really do. And how banal that pursuit can really get...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Livestrong talks about how 60% of their donations go to "Programs".....This link is a good example of these programs, all fluff and hype and no results.

3 Months to "Cure Cancer"? A bit simplistic, eh?

I think they should begin with a more attainable goal and perhaps learn from that:

Cure "Evil".

And remember who you're fighting for:
funny_picture_kittens_in_a_teacup.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
richardp said:
For me, it was seeing Lance's adverts on UK TV that made me aware I may have testicular cancer, and which prompted me to see my doctor immediately. Otherwise I may have just put the inflammation down to a cycling-related injury. As it was, within 3 weeks I had been operated on, had the cancer removed, and within a month completed the radiotherapy. Because I was made aware at an early stage, the cancer was "nipped in the bud", and there was no secondary cancer elsewhere.

I got off lightly, all things considered, so will always be grateful for the fact that I was made aware in this way, and I donated to Livestrong as a sign of gratitude.

But no, I don't think the worthy aims of the charity override whatever else Lance may have done. He isn't the first person to piggy back personal ambitions off the back of a charity, and sadly he won't be the last. I feel for the people within the charity though, and the people who have benefited from it.

You are an excellent example of direct benefit and a lucky beneficiary of that information. You have every reason to be grateful and, hopefully; the tone of many that have researched into LA's involvement won't deter you from staying involved in the community. By community I mean the legitimate charity movements and to a much lesser degree; this navel gazing forum.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
richardp said:
He isn't the first person to piggy back personal ambitions off the back of a charity, and sadly he won't be the last. I feel for the people within the charity though, and the people who have benefited from it.

I think Lance should have been careful what he wished for, because he certainly got it. Myself, I think I would have called it a day at "survival".

My guess is that this monster he created became far bigger than he felt he could control. At this point, it must be one heck of a mania trying to keep the operation moving.

TRENDING THREADS