• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Misleads & Swindles Livestrong Donors

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Agreed. In fact this incident happened many years ago, almost a decade. Back then Livestrong was primarily a promotional tool for Lance. These days they have resources to address just these types of questions. I doubt someone would get the same response today......besides nobody is paying $4,000 to ride with Lance anymore
no one turns up to his Twitter rides now?

:eek:

Alpe73 said:
Thanks for the very informative and very balanced post.

Thank-you.

Sounds to me RL Smith needs to change his name to BS Smith.

Because he got up in front of audience of people and implied something very different than reality.

He's happily let people think that this all occurred recently when truth be known he called up a one year old foundation and expected medical review.

Context is important. I guess Smith won't be coming forward with the elaborated story.

thehog said:
Thank-you.

Sounds to me RL Smith needs to change his name to BS Smith.

Because he got up in front of audience of people and implied something very different than reality.

He's happily let people think that this all occurred recently when truth be known he called up a one year old foundation and expected medical review.

Context is important. I guess Smith won't be coming forward with the elaborated story.

Seems like a decent, everyday guy, but he's just a pawn (for various people, big and small - [see the last umpteen posts]) and they're trying to fill seats. Silver screen fatigue. Hopefully, people who saw TAL will patronize his shop. The least they could do.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
we loved Hombre/Bobke/HobredeSubaru over on the DailyPeloton and his anecdotes on his son's career, his son's Livestrong internship, his son's FTP, his son's Ivy League doc.

And Glenn did some good research on his bona fides as a StrongArm homer http://hombredesubaru.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/who-is-this-hombre.html

Hombre makes a small appearance in Cycle of lies. Wonder if he is gleeful or embarrassed? Wonder how his Surgery/chiropractor business is going?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I'm not aware of any charity that pays for people's medical cover from one phone call. I really don't know all the details but what was Smith expecting?

If you watch the video you would. RL was looking for advice on where to get a post treatment screening. It had been over a year since he finished treatment and it is normal that after a year that you go in for a screening.

Screenings are readily available for free/cheap. At the time Livestrong response was to sell him a $4,000 bike ride, hopefully today they would point him to the many resources available to him.

Alpe73 said:
Seems like a decent, everyday guy, but he's just a pawn (for various people, big and small - [see the last umpteen posts]) and they're trying to fill seats. Silver screen fatigue. Hopefully, people who saw TAL will patronize his shop. The least they could do.

That is true. The "gasps" in the audience demonstrate that he told he story for effect and not what actually occurred. And yes similar to the initial responses on this thread.

Interesting to note that he's posted the story to the shops facebook page asking for it to be shared.

(https://www.facebook.com/pages/in-step/155572498015)

Oh the irony in providing distorted view of events to sell shoes. Which is exactly what Armstrong did!

And all this after he had favours given to him during his actual treatment from Armstrong's doctors.

Appears like a nice chap but clearly trying to get back at Armstrong because he didn't get what he wanted; which looks to be free health care and further favours. Or queue jumping as it's known.

Anyway, time to move on, glad we got to the bottom of this oddity.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Ok, someone just sent me an email. A friend whom I argue with about the validity of Livestrong.

They said that they were aware Smith was diagnosed in 1996 but were unsure of his remission date and when he required post cancer treatment and review. But unlikely it was after 2000.

(http://www.instepboulder.com/about-step)

They said the LAF was founded in 1997 and intially very small and concentrated on research and grants. Later it moved to survivorship.

It wasn't till 2005 when they had enough money to offer the "navigation" services.

If Smith has called in when they were still a very young organisation he may not have been able to get the same level of service that you would get today. They said back then when they were based on research were forbidden by law to offer such services with the appropriate licences - I believe this to be a tax exempt law but don't really know - ie foundation, charity, non-profit etc, authorised counselling service etc.

I did take the time to cross referenda this with Gifford's article from Outside magazine.

They also said whilst Livestrong could never divulge confidential information on individuals and what assistance they received they would ask someone in LS for a comment on the youtube video and the statements made within.

They also stated they do not cover medicated treatment as they are not authorised to. It would be against the law to do so. They also said they everyone on their contacts lists receives information on how to donate and it's not unusual to be asked to make donations or to join fundraising programs.

I'm still not enamoured by Livestrong but I get the feeling if Smith did call them he called a foundation who at the time was very young, it's objective was grants and research and didn't have the dedicated help assistance they have today.

To be honest, I don't know. Perhaps he called in prior to 1999? I have no such information.

Only he can provide the full story. If it turns out he received bad information or was hit up for money without assistance then I'll happily join him in the condemnation LS.

There's still that nagging question on insurance. Did he have it, did he not, was he denied insurance due to his previous illness? That part doesn't add up.

I guess his soundbite got the desired attention.

They were helpful for me in appeals with my insurance carrier for things they didn't want to cover. My dealings were with the rank and file, but I found them helpful during my time (2009-2010). As to survivorship, I think most people don't always understand the lasting physical and emotional trauma that successful treatment often leaves in it's wake. I just made 5 years in January and only recently started having days where I never think about it. When I reached the point where I wanted to pay it forward, I found Imerman Angels on livestrong, and I decided that was what I wanted to do. IA match up mentor/survivors with patients with a similar diagnosis. Some want you to listen to their fears, some want to know about the treatments ahead, some just want to speak with someone who made it through and know that it's do-able.

patricknd said:
They were helpful for me in appeals with my insurance carrier for things they didn't want to cover. My dealings were with the rank and file, but I found them helpful during my time (2009-2010). As to survivorship, I think most people don't always understand the lasting physical and emotional trauma that successful treatment often leaves in it's wake. I just made 5 years in January and only recently started having days where I never think about it. When I reached the point where I wanted to pay it forward, I found Imerman Angels on livestrong, and I decided that was what I wanted to do. IA match up mentor/survivors with patients with a similar diagnosis. Some want you to listen to their fears, some want to know about the treatments ahead, some just want to speak with someone who made it through and know that it's do-able.

Thanx patrick :)
good luck

patricknd said:

Thanks for posting. I've heard similar stories.

The void as you describe as many of those around don't know what to say. Even in remission people see that as "cured" when really it's the worst part of the journey. A time of not knowing or what's coming next.

In a sense that's what Smith was describing.

I never used Livestrong but experinced similar and it was very comforting to have that type of resource.

I'm also well aware if LAF in its early days wasn't licenced to provide counselling or assistance and really would not be be able to do so if asked.

Thanks again for posting.

Perhaps I've said enough on the matter and will retire myself from this thread.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
The "gasps" in the audience demonstrate that he told the story for effect and not what actually occurred.
With this I would have to agree. I'm more interested in the full truth behind the matter than a dramatization.

patricknd said:
They were helpful for me in appeals with my insurance carrier for things they didn't want to cover.
Thanks for that insight and for the rest or your post, patrick. That touches on another issue I had with RL Smith's presentation. He asks the room, "Does anybody in here know of anybody that has been helped out by the Lance Armstrong Foundation?" No one responds, and RL seems content to take that as some sort of definitive survey. How many people were in that room? Less than 20? If the LAF had never helped out "anybody," I somehow doubt that that would've gone entirely unnoticed until now. It simply doesn't add up.

The other odd point was when he explained his search for the cause of his cancer. He couldn't understand why he had been afflicted by it—which is perfectly understandable and probably quite common. But he goes on to say, "Somebody explained to me" that his cancer was the likely result of him being overtrained, thereby depleting his immune system. His cancer was describe by this same unnamed source as "some little thing that had popped into his body."

Is there any scientific validity to this?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
When I reached the point where I wanted to pay it forward, I found Imerman Angels on livestrong, and I decided that was what I wanted to do. IA match up mentor/survivors with patients with a similar diagnosis. Some want you to listen to their fears, some want to know about the treatments ahead, some just want to speak with someone who made it through and know that it's do-able.

I have heard good things about IA, they do some fine work

holy sh!!t can we finally move on from the health care discussion

hoggie I appreciate where you're coming from but the bulk of your last few day's posts are repetitive…

pretty much seems as if the LAF / LS is under the radar these days…

any new issues, news as of late?

:)

Race Radio said:
If you watch the video you would. RL was looking for advice on where to get a post treatment screening. It had been over a year since he finished treatment and it is normal that after a year that you go in for a screening.

Screenings are readily available for free/cheap. At the time Livestrong response was to sell him a $4,000 bike ride, hopefully today they would point him to the many resources available to him.

You guys have to stop this nonsense. As I explained two times now, and have proven, this guy was looking for free medical care.

Any imbecile, especially one who already had cancer treatment, would know to go see ANY oncologist, for follow-up. Any organization, or medical professional would tell you this also...but he already knows this, he went through treatment and was seen by oncologist who told him probably a dozen times, follow up with your own oncologist.

AND.....in the US, you are 100% responsible for the costs, or you need insurance that will cover some/most of the cost...he chose to do nothing but ask what "form" he could fill out.

This moron on the video doesn't Livestrong, Susan B Koman or any charity to take responsibility for his own treatment and the costs, instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars or racing/traveling.

Gheez....

mewmewmew13 said:
holy sh!!t can we finally move on from the health care discussion

hoggie I appreciate where you're coming from but the bulk of your last few day's posts are repetitive…

pretty much seems as if the LAF / LS is under the radar these days…

any new issues, news as of late?

:)

This^^^ Thanks

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Hombre makes a small appearance in Cycle of lies. Wonder if he is gleeful or embarrassed? Wonder how his Surgery/chiropractor business is going?

I'm almost finished this huge book on kindle. Hint where? Is it back in JT Neal days? Unlike the last few Armstrong tomes, this one is one I will re-read.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I am curious how his son's FTP is now, and if he decided to dope his son?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Any organization, or medical professional would tell you this also...but he already knows this, he went through treatment and was seen by oncologist who told him probably a dozen times, follow up with your own oncologist.

AND.....in the US, you are 100% responsible for the costs, or you need insurance that will cover some/most of the cost...he chose to do nothing but ask what "form" he could fill out.

This moron on the video doesn't Livestrong, Susan B Koman or any charity to take responsibility for his own treatment and the costs, instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars or racing/traveling.

Gheez....

Easy there, lay off the insults and listen to what he said

Today's Livestrong would have referred him to the many free/cheap screening programs available to him. The old Livestrong would have tried to sell him a $4,000 bike ride. Asking Livestrong for guidance does not make someone a moron or an imbecile. That is what they do.

It is pretty clear he was not looking for thousands of $$$ in medical care, he had already gone through that, he was looking for a $40 post treatment screening. Something readily available if you know who to ask.

Anything to support your claim he spent thousands on races and equipment?

Granville57 said:
With this I would have to agree. I'm more interested in the full truth behind the matter than a dramatization.

Livestrong are aware of the video and believe Mr. Smith is confused on what actually occurred.

I assume we await their official release, if it comes or they may choose to contact him directly. However Smith's version doesn't appear to stack up with what actually took place.

And to be fair on the staffers at LAF (well most of them); they did their work under the pretence that Armstrong was clean.

Kudos to the board that when faced with reality they ousted Armstrong and his name from the title. That was an impressive move to save themselves and the mission.

Scully/Jobs it was, with perhaps a different ending.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
That is true. The "gasps" in the audience demonstrate that he told he story for effect and not what actually occurred. And yes similar to the initial responses on this thread.

Interesting to note that he's posted the story to the shops facebook page asking for it to be shared.

(https://www.facebook.com/pages/in-step/155572498015)

Oh the irony in providing distorted view of events to sell shoes. Which is exactly what Armstrong did!

And all this after he had favours given to him during his actual treatment from Armstrong's doctors.

Appears like a nice chap but clearly trying to get back at Armstrong because he didn't get what he wanted; which looks to be free health care and further favours. Or queue jumping as it's known.

Anyway, time to move on, glad we got to the bottom of this oddity.

You appear to be in discussion with the LAF (wow, your insider connections are so amazing :rolleyes: ) - can YOU show exactly what he distorted, and how you know this.

We can save everyones time by linking or backing up your knowledge - or by clarifying or withdrawing your remarks.

Race Radio said:

Hopefully better than his cycling career...

13068751615_2d0ac49916_z.jpg

Dr. Maserati said:
You appear to be in discussion with the LAF (wow, your insider connections are so amazing :rolleyes: ) - can YOU show exactly what he distorted, and how you know this.

We can save everyones time by linking or backing up your knowledge - or by clarifying or withdrawing your remarks.

If you go back through the posts on this thread, you'll find several that try to use this nebulous incident of long ago as a means to portray (even today's) Livestrong.org as a sinister, swindling cancer charity. This foggy story does little to nothing to corroborate said portrayal. Doesn't mean you can't dig at another archeological site. You might find another ball and chain.

Alpe73 said:
If you go back through the posts on this thread, you'll find several that try to use this nebulous incident of long ago as a means to portray (even today's) Livestrong.org as a sinister, swindling cancer charity. This foggy story does little to nothing to corroborate said portrayal. Doesn't mean you can't dig at another archeological site. You might find another ball and chain.

Well it was a case or not letting the facts get in the way of a good story. The way we've all been brought up on CNN/FoxNews 30 second sound bites. We take a bite of what's offered and react.

It's a shame nobody bothered to even check out the LiveStrong site to see what they do. There were plenty of stabs in the dark what that might be. To me it came across as "not my problem but Livestong should be doing whatever it is they do with cancer people".

And to think nobody bothered to validate Smith's story. It was taken at face value. Even though it occurred some 16 years ago.

And I'm not posting this to prove a point. I just don't like people hijacking a disease for their own end on Armstrong just like he did.

Find another stick to beat him with. They moved him on and his name.

Before the clarity was made I noted some of the horrors (for purposes of a giggle :)) posted in this thread (names removed):

Thanks for the link, very interesting and telling story. There was actually a time (long ago) when I thought that Livestrong was the one decent thing Armstrong did. At least everybody now knows that the words Armstrong and decent don't belong in the same sentence unless said in jest.

This part actually literally made me and go back and re-watch it. Hard to imagine someone would actually say something like this to a cancer patient looking for help.

Holy double cr@p
I am stunned…not surprised..

this poor guy is an excellent speaker and his story is a shock..
I'm posting this on my Facebook page as well this instant

thanx both of you posters for the link

Wow. Very powerful speech.

LS does nothing, just like Chris Carmichael does for training cyclists.

It is worse than an a dismal website and organization, it inappropriately shunts money away from actual beneficial Charities where real medical funding for research is happening.

This video begs to differ.

Livewrong are a fraud.

this was POST treatment and he was trying to find a little support and help..which is what I thought LS should be there for…
y'know to help him find some agencies or places that might help someone w cancer issues and needs...

thehog said:
Well it was a case or not letting the facts get in the way of a good story. The way we've all been brought up on CNN/FoxNews 30 second sound bites. We take a bite of what's offered and react.

It's a shame nobody bothered to even check out the LiveStrong site to see what they do. There were plenty of stabs in the dark what that might be. To me it came across as "not my problem but Livestong should be doing whatever it is they do with cancer people".

And to think nobody bothered to validate Smith's story. It was taken at face value. Even though it occurred some 16 years ago.

And I'm not posting this to prove a point. I just don't like people hijacking a disease for their own end on Armstrong just like he did.

Find another stick to beat him with. They moved him on and his name.

Before the clarity was made I noted some of the horrors (for purposes of a giggle :)) posted in this thread (names removed):

Then again you could say live by the sword, die by the sword. Armstrong has blatantly manipulated the press and the general public for years and this video is pretty soft compared to some of the crap Nike and Public Strategies have cooked up to create and maintain the myth.

I don't think this video is proof of the nefarious nature of Livestrong, however I have little doubt that its main mission was to promote the myth, serve as a shield, and finance the extravagant lifestyle of Wonderboy.

All these books about how Armstrong is a sociopath are great, but I am still waiting for the one that exposes Livestrong. Not to say they haven't done any "good" at all, but there must be a lot of dirt to dig up.

TRENDING THREADS