• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong - Nike

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe d'Huez said:
There's more information you guys need to know before taking on Nike.

They are highly unlikely to respond to your e-mail with anything more than boilerplate. It also won't change them. You are going to need much more public persuasion and pressure to do that. But let's take a look at another angle to consider using if you're up for pressuring the almmighty swoosh.

When Steve Prefontaine was killed in 1975, the last known person to see him alive was his friend Frank Shorter.

In the 1976 Olympics, Frank Shorter was heavily favored to repeat as marathon champion. But he lost in stunning fashion to a previously unknown East German, Waldemar Cierpinski. Since Cierpinski was a complete unknown, it was highly suspected even at the time that Cierpienski and the DDR were using blood doping (blood packing it was called then) to cheat to win. When the DDR fell and it was revealed just how widespread the doping was, and Cierpinski's name appeared in the files uncovered by Werner Franke, it only added to the bitterness of Shorter's loss. Excellent link here.

But Shorter, best friend of Pre, wasn't out to change the record books, as much as help clean up sports. In 2000 he would help form USADA. And served as it's chairman until 2003.

I have to wonder if Nike even knows?

From your link this line jumped out... seemed eerily familiar to current history:

Those left in Cierpinski's wake were stunned by his performance. "He had 100 meters on me, but late in the race I closed to within 50," Shorter said. "He looked back and accelerated and made it look easy. It was so unusual. I'd never seen anything like it in all my races before."

Glenn_Wilson said:
Dave does Tim Hortons or Mary Brown's have cycling Teams? :D
:p
tims.jpg

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
TubularBills said:
From your link this line jumped out... seemed eerily familiar to current history:

Those left in Cierpinski's wake were stunned by his performance. "He had 100 meters on me, but late in the race I closed to within 50," Shorter said. "He looked back and accelerated and made it look easy. It was so unusual. I'd never seen anything like it in all my races before."

the thing thta amazes me abotu USADA is htye make an incredibly boig deal out fo one rider when there were aobut ten teams linked to this and in the midst of all this the NFL and NBA and baseball is packed with drug users but Tygart never says a word about them..gotta proive youre doing your job somewhere I suppose.....some of the guys in the NFL are so jacked up on roids that their turds have muscles...granted all sports including cycling should be cleaned up but cycling pales by comparison to whats happening on the fields all across america and Tygart and usada is strangely silent on all that. something about a log and a twig comes to mind...Silence is tacit approval...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
roadfreak44 said:

the thing thta amazes me abotu USADA is htye make an incredibly boig deal out fo one rider when there were aobut ten teams linked to this and in the midst of all this the NFL and NBA and baseball is packed with drug users but Tygart never says a word about them..gotta proive youre doing your job somewhere I suppose.....some of the guys in the NFL are so jacked up on roids that their turds have muscles...granted all sports including cycling should be cleaned up but cycling pales by comparison to whats happening on the fields all across america and Tygart and usada is strangely silent on all that. something about a log and a twig comes to mind...Silence is tacit approval...

Get some spelling software for whatever you are using to type.

USADA have sanctioned over 50 athletes.

Do some reading!

Edit If MacRoadie is correct i apologies for my comments.

But to be sure this aint no witch Hunt. Armstrong has avoided this for years.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
roadfreak44 said:

First of all, sorry for your injuries.

To your post:
NFL is no olympic sport. So USADA can´t do anything about them. NBA is difficult, since they are an olympic sport. OTOH, i guess the have the same kind of players association like NFL. That means the PA dictates what to test for and what not. A thing for legal experts which USADA may no touch b/c that would surely explode their budget...

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I got scooped by FitSsikS.

I know you were making a joke, but... reality bites.

Timmy's has been a cycling sponsor (National Champs + National Team) for years.

Dave.

Time for Tims.
I was just poking fun. Since I am not familiar with the National teams and I had no idea that they were a good cycling sponsor. I do know the place is packed with a serious line up at almost anytime of the day.

I notice that there is a Terry Fox run coming up where I am at in September.

What a great insperation and example for people to follow.

onetofifteen said:
I read that as "Get HGH". Was funnier that way :)

Now that would be really funny!!

FitSsikS said:
That reminds me, what is considered too much caffeine by the IOC?

It used to be the equivalent of 8 cups of coffee, and track sprinters were being caught with 32 cup equivalence.

Some folks were direct muscle injecting.

Both of which seem absolutely nuts. But, based on what Willy Voet said about Virenque, sounds like he would have tried that and more.

Caffeine is no longer on The List.

Dave.