• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong set to miss 2010 Giro

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
if he's hated in spain then what about france. Why is he so hated in Spain? he should fit in with all the spainish riders;)
Anyway, lance never rides a full season so definetly not the vuelta

It was my understanding that the French now love Armstrong due to his new personna of being kinder and gentler. In addition to the supposed belief that the French like to root for the 2nd place guy over the actual winner although Armstrong really failed to show much sportsmanship over not winning until months after the event.

The only time Armstrong has participated in the Vuelta was right after his bout with cancer, and as is well known that is where he found his motivation and belief that he could contend for the overall at the Tour (1998. finishing 4th I believe).

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
California Dreamin'

I sure hope Cadel rides with Lance at the AToC!

Lance in support of Levi, and Cadel in support of previous winner Big George!

BMC always rides at the AToC...hey, so has SAXO/"CSC" maybe Andy can make the trip out here too.

Wiggins for Garmin sure makes sense also...and Alberto will not ride the Giro so he should make the trip to California.

Mini-TdF woohoo??

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
i don't think it's fair to say an entire country hates or loves someone based on a small sample. la probably has fans and enemies in any country. and some, like me, probably think he's both a great champion and a great douchebag.

woot! first post! lurker no more :|

A

Anonymous

forumlurker said:
i don't think it's fair to say an entire country hates or loves someone based on a small sample. la probably has fans and enemies in any country. and some, like me, probably think he's both a great champion and a great douchebag.

woot! first post! lurker no more :|

And people like me who think he is a champion douchebag!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The French have nothing but amour for Lance Armstrong. Philiggit said so.

Personally, I am pleased that he will ride the ATOC. It will bring the crowds to the race, sad maybe but true. I hope to see some of that race live, and of course want to see the strongest possible field. Which would be easier if the race didn't compete with the Giro. Anyway, whether you consider him a champion, a douche, or a hybrid thereof, he is a strong rider. Now, where did I put my bumblebee suit and 4' syringe?

A

Anonymous

Galic Ho said:
Menchov was seen in the TdF. He won the Giro. Pellizotti and Sastre, second and third after DiLuca's positive were also seen. One of them won the KOM competition. Or did you forget this?

To be fair to sprocket, I think it is true that menchov, pellizotti and sastre were not seen at the tour in their usual role/ambitions... All these three stated (or it was implied) were targeting GC.

17th sastre, +100th for menchov and can't remember pellizotti's GC place probably account for not being seen. That said, FP's KOM win was impressive, I am a fan of that competition.

As for Lance skipping the Giro. I have to say good and bad. The route is okay for him, but not ideal. I would have been interested to see what he could have done this year but the broken bones didnt help. As for the Vuelta, if he gets anywhere between 4th and 10th at the Tour, I could see him trying to down Valv at the Vuelta, but it is a big risk, and LA rarely takes risks with his racing schedule, so i think about a 10% chance he does the Vuelta.

As for BMC (someone mentioned earlier), interesting if they will field two squads for Cali and Giro, as was noted today they have an invite (all but certainly) to the Giro.. Maybe, Cadel to the Giro with Ballan, Kroon and some swiss youngsters, and Hincapie, Burghart and some american youngsters to Cali? Now that Cadel has signed with BMC, I hope he tries the Giro at least as preparation for the tour (he has twice backed up in the Vuelta with strong performances, after a draining Tour)

I think it is great he will be going to the ToC. If it will give this guy another chance to stalk him then I am all for it.

la13.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
To be fair to sprocket, I think it is true that menchov, pellizotti and sastre were not seen at the tour in their usual role/ambitions... All these three stated (or it was implied) were targeting GC.
Not Pellizzotti. Liquigas had Nibali and Kreuziger as leaders, Pellizzotti was free to look for stage wins and/or the KOM jersey.

Menchov, I guess, paid for the Giro victory. If he had only placed in the Giro, he might have approached the Tour in a different mindset and a better preparation.

On the other hand, one could argue that Tour de France winners fare bad in the Giro, what with Sastre ending 4th and that 7-time-winner nowhere in the classification. ;)

As for BMC (someone mentioned earlier), interesting if they will field two squads for Cali and Giro, as was noted today they have an invite (all but certainly) to the Giro.. Maybe, Cadel to the Giro with Ballan, Kroon and some swiss youngsters, and Hincapie, Burghart and some american youngsters to Cali? Now that Cadel has signed with BMC, I hope he tries the Giro at least as preparation for the tour (he has twice backed up in the Vuelta with strong performances, after a draining Tour)
Ballan definitely has the Giro in his 2010 schedule, after 7 (?) years, and already targeted the Montalcino stage.

Frankly I think LA has opted once agian for a "safer" choice, where he can say the usual drivel: "I'm here to prepare for my 8th win at the Tour" on home soil where most are cluless about the sport anyway and don't realize he, as so many times in the past, is a most ungenerous champion. So predictable and after making the comment about thinking "the Giro would be ideal Tour preperation." That is until he saw all those hard mountains, the likes of which the Tour knows few in comparison. He restricts everything to having the greatest odds in his favor to win one race, which has necessarily eliminated the risk factor, and therefore of putting himself on the line at another major GT like the Giro as great champions of the past have done.

He has said as much himself, that he regreted avoiding the Giro during the golden years because he was afraid of blowing his routine and thus timing for maximum form at the Tour. Even though he realizes that in Europe, even though he for the most part couldn't give a **** about what the Europeans think, his was lackluster example of daring-do and bravura run.

Creatures of habit are always the most boring sports figures. I bet Lance won't come to the Giro, like in the past, because either he knows or fears he can't win it. If the former then he is to be less criticized, if the latter, then he should be labled lame and uncourageous.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I sure hope Cadel rides with Lance at the AToC!

Lance in support of Levi, and Cadel in support of previous winner Big George!

BMC always rides at the AToC...hey, so has SAXO/"CSC" maybe Andy can make the trip out here too.

Wiggins for Garmin sure makes sense also...and Alberto will not ride the Giro so he should make the trip to California.

Mini-TdF woohoo??

Correct me if I am wrong, has the Tour of California only been running since 2006? Floyd Landis won the first and Levi Leipheimer won the next 3. How can Big George have won it? Sure you aren't confusing it with the Tour of Missouri?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
who cares

Is anyone surprised at all? Anyone?

I don't care if he does the giro. He'd never have a real go at winning, only testing form and preparing, like last year. In this case why not go to a home event? Shine in the TT so people know you are there, and pace as it suits your training schedule. I'll believe he is there for leipheimer when he pulls so hard he's exhausted, falling off the bike exhausted.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

17th sastre, +100th for menchov and can't remember pellizotti's GC place probably account for not being seen. That said, FP's KOM win was impressive, I am a fan of that competition.

As for Lance skipping the Giro. I have to say good and bad. The route is okay for him, but not ideal. I would have been interested to see what he could have done this year but the broken bones didnt help. As for the Vuelta, if he gets anywhere between 4th and 10th at the Tour, I could see him trying to down Valv at the Vuelta, but it is a big risk, and LA rarely takes risks with his racing schedule, so i think about a 10% chance he does the Vuelta.

Actually as Leopejo said the performances of Pellizotti, Sastre and Menchov were explainable.

Liquigas has 4 strong GC riders. Basso and Pellizotti were selected for the Giro and the younger guys Nibali and Kreuziger were given the Tour. I agree Pellizotti made the KOM interesting, as the pyrenees were boring without him fighting 3 and at times 4 Euskatel riders. Pellizotti came in around 30th.

Menchov slipped in the final ITT in Rome at the Giro. He hurt his hip and barely rode all June. Then he fell again in the TTT on day four of the Tour. He barely managed to stay on his bike after that. His performance was understandable...injured and worn out after fighting DiLuca.

Sastre, almost won the Giro barring the bad day between his two mountain top wins, the one at Vesuvius and I forget the name of the other. Think about it this way. July 2008, 1st place in the TdF, September 2008 3rd place Vuelta Espanan behind AC and LL, May 2009, 3rd Giro d'Italia. He had raced four Grand tours and made the podium in 3. Not bad. The reasons behind his Tour performances are kind obvious for this year. Tired and fatigued again, plus added stress of defending his title.

Lance won't race the Vuelta. Valverde and Sanchez will cain him. Mosquera would too. BMC have an invite to the Giro. I see them taking that before California.

Sprocket01 said:
Sorry if this has been posted already...

Lance Armstrong is set to miss next year's Giro d'Italia after announcing he will race in the Tour of California.

The California race starts on 16 May while the Giro, the world's second-biggest stage race, begins on 8 May.

The seven-time Tour de France winner finished 12th in this year's Giro as part of his comeback after three-and-a-half years in retirement.

Armstrong, 38, who raced for Astana this year, has set up the new RadioShack team for next season.

Next year's Tour of California boasts a new route and new dates to avoid the West Coast's wet winter weather after this year's race, which took place in February, featured wet and chilly conditions.

The full route for next year's Giro will be announced on Saturday but the race will begin in Amsterdam.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8322403.stm

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amgen31-2009oct31,0,2321192.story?track=rss

Ooopps. even going to be one?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Just saw a 5 minute special on CNN, with an exclusive Lance Armstrong interview. The interviewer addressed all the most pressing issues (a recap):

-Cancer awareness and his efforts to put an end to the disease

LA: he traveled all over the world to raise awareness and said that he lives a different life as compared to other cyclists. I could have said something to the extent that it's not only about the bike..

-His 3rd place in the TdF and the TdF 2010

LA: Gave huge credit to Contador, saying that he is a superior athlete. He conceded that he had made a coupe of minor tactical mistakes. Very content with his 3rd place. It wasn't so much about his age, as it was about having been off the bike for 3 years. Next year he will be around again, he hopes to be better, but also said that it was going to be difficult to win. He expressed his hope to win.

-French doping conspiracies

LA: played down the idea that the French were after him, and seemed to say that is was a concerted effort to deal with doping in cycling. He reconfirmed that being tested (negative) is the best proof of being clean.

All in all, Lance was reasonable and modest, while the interviewer had no clue what he was talking about. When Lance mentioned the UCI, a balloon appeared above the interviewers head saying "WTF $%$%@$*&#^ No one informed me about the acronyms. OK, I'll just nod, it's only a 5 minute interview"

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Fairly bloody obvious - so people like you keep swallowing the myth. After all he has a great deal of PR ground to make up after his petulant prat routine at the Tour.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Fairly bloody obvious - so people like you keep swallowing the myth. After all he has a great deal of PR ground to make up after his petulant prat routine at the Tour.

What myth are you talking about? This is not the clinic. :rolleyes:

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Just saw a 5 minute special on CNN, with an exclusive Lance Armstrong interview. The interviewer addressed all the most pressing issues (a recap):

-Cancer awareness and his efforts to put an end to the disease

LA: he traveled all over the world to raise awareness and said that he lives a different life as compared to other cyclists. I could have said something to the extent that it's not only about the bike..

-His 3rd place in the TdF and the TdF 2010

LA: Gave huge credit to Contador, saying that he is a superior athlete. He conceded that he had made a coupe of minor tactical mistakes. Very content with his 3rd place. It wasn't so much about his age, as it was about having been off the bike for 3 years. Next year he will be around again, he hopes to be better, but also said that it was going to be difficult to win. He expressed his hope to win.

-French doping conspiracies

LA: played down the idea that the French were after him, and seemed to say that is was a concerted effort to deal with doping in cycling. He reconfirmed that being tested (negative) is the best proof of being clean.

All in all, Lance was reasonable and modest, while the interviewer had no clue what he was talking about. When Lance mentioned the UCI, a balloon appeared above the interviewers head saying "WTF $%$%@$*&#^ No one informed me about the acronyms. OK, I'll just nod, it's only a 5 minute interview"

Thanks for that.

Most of the time LA is modest and laid back. People just focus in on all the controversial moments in his career and forget this is not what he is like most of the time.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Shouldn't this thread read: "Giro organisers refuse to stump up the 2 million to for Lance to race".

I think that even the most ardent Armstrong fan can see that this factored into his decision.

Armstrong was paid $2,000,000 to race the Giro this year. After he led the Milan protest Angelo Zomegnan was ****ed. No way Armstrong would get a dime to show up in 2010.

I think we can all agree that Armstrong was just trying to push up his fee for the Tour of California by pretending to want to race the Giro. Besides it cost's far less to fuel up the jet for the short fight to California.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I think that even the most ardent Armstrong fan can see that this factored into his decision.

Armstrong was paid $2,000,000 to race the Giro this year. After he led the Milan protest Angelo Zomegnan was ****ed. No way Armstrong would get a dime to show up in 2010.

I think we can all agree that Armstrong was just trying to push up his fee for the Tour of California by pretending to want to race the Giro. Besides it cost's far less to fuel up the jet for the short fight to California.

Pssst, you just accused me of trolling for asking someone what "myth" they were refering to, given this is not the clinic (a reasonable question for me to ask). Now you post up this lot of speculative trollicks that is obvious trolling to every man and woman in attendance. You really don't help yourself sometimes. :rolleyes:

RaceRadio = biggest troll in the business.

TRENDING THREADS