• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong thinking about Ventoux

His latest tweet:

Big day 2morrow... The "Giant of Provence" Mt. Ventoux. Know it well, we're old friends but haven't always gotten along. Two times 2nd. Ugh.

Regardless of what you think of him, winning on Ventoux would mean everything to this guy. But I just don't see it happening. AC and Andy can probably beat him for sure.

Maybe AC will see the wisdom (for himself) in helping his teammates stay and get on the podium, but that's not very likely either. Even then, with AC's help can he beat Andy? And even if AC drags the old man up 90% of the mountain, and then LA attacks and does manage to win, would that really count?

Did he tank the ITT on purpose to save himself for today?

Of course Franck, Klodi and Wiggy are not going to make it easy either, not to forget that guys like Cadel and Sastre are hoping for an opportunity to redeem themselves.

Still, Lance is definitely thinking about it, and confident enough to remind us that getting 2nd twice is eating at him...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The climb doesn't really suit Armstrong. It suits Contador and A.Schleck. There are many parts with 10+% gradient and that should really hurt Armstrong.

My guess is that F.Schleck tries to attack on the first part of the climb and if he gets away tries to make as big a gap as possible. If he can't go away I'd say they all (top favourites) go together until Fränk goes again with 2K to go and drops Armstrong and Wiggins.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Contador has already stated he will help Armstrong stay on the podium, as long as they can hold the Schlecks at a comfortable distance, however if Lance starts to lose to much to them Contador will go after them and take the stage win.

Ninety5rpm said:
His latest tweet:

Regardless of what you think of him, winning on Ventoux would mean everything to this guy. But I just don't see it happening. AC and Andy can probably beat him for sure.

Maybe AC will see the wisdom (for himself) in helping his teammates stay and get on the podium, but that's not very likely either. Even then, with AC's help can he beat Andy? And even if AC drags the old man up 90% of the mountain, and then LA attacks and does manage to win, would that really count?

Of course Franck, Klodi and Wiggy are not going to make it easy either, not to forget that guys like Cadel and Sastre are hoping for an opportunity to redeem themselves.

Still, Lance is definitely thinking about it, and confident enough to remind us that getting 2nd twice is eating at him...

Well he doesn't have to worry, he won't be 2nd a third time. :rolleyes:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
His latest tweet:

I don't see anyway AC could even help him. Go ride tempo at the front and blow himself up? That's not gonna happen. I guess he could attack the Schlecks to try and blow them up but he can't risk a blow up himself.

Astana would really have to work as a team tomorrow and fire multiple attacks on the Schlecks (Kloden, Armstrong and Contador). The Schlecks are gonna be busy tomorrow.

Wiggy seemed kind of blown the other day. Be interesting to see what he has left for Ventoux.

Sastre hasn't look super this year and Evans, I think he just wants to go home.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Well he doesn't have to worry, he won't be 2nd a third time. :rolleyes:

Maybe not but he is still there and has had a great tour and is still not far off the pace of guys 10+ years younger. Seems a long time ago when you were saying he would be back in the gruppetto after the first week. Still if you make enough predictions you are bound to get one right one day:rolleyes:
I predict third place for LA in the overall. Wiggo won't be able to keep up with him, he hasn't yet except on Verbier. Every other climb LA has distanced him. hell he even put time into him this morning! AC will stay with Lance up the hill and they will just probably do enough to keep Frank off the podium. If they are close enough to the Schlecks near the top AC will go for the win if Lances position in the overall is secure.

richwagmn said:
Wiggy seemed kind of blown the other day. Be interesting to see what he has left for Ventoux.

Sastre hasn't look super this year and Evans, I think he just wants to go home.

4. Drug tests will become more common and in Ironman events and will become a public affair. Upon Armstrong's insistence, the Associated Press will publish pictures of Armstrong and other top pro’s in the bathroom while taking the tests. "This is just one more step to total transparency," Armstrong will be quoted as saying. "Now do you believe me that I'm clean?!"

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
4. Drug tests will become more common and in Ironman events and will become a public affair. Upon Armstrong's insistence, the Associated Press will publish pictures of Armstrong and other top pro’s in the bathroom while taking the tests. "This is just one more step to total transparency," Armstrong will be quoted as saying. "Now do you believe me that I'm clean?!"

At competition? Sure he's gonna show up clean.

Give me 3 months and free reign to test him whenever and wherever I want during his pre-Tour peaking phase (if he's really riding to win it) and I can assure you I will find some "candy" in LA's blood. Guaranteed.

Why doesn't he just shut up and win, which is what everybody wants to see.

TRENDING THREADS