• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong to bail out Astana?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Last time I checked in 2005 Lance had a net worth of 52 million$, and that probably expanded since thanks to his bicycle shop?

Will he be the one who saves Astana? Is it worth it for him to ride the Tour for 6 mill?

We'll se...but if he does, Conti will owe him bigtime and that's not necessarily good...

It's going to be an interesting june:D, would hate to see Astana miss the Tour though...

Your toughts?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Unlikely. Given his ego, I'd bet on him wanting to create his own team, and be able to chose his own riders. I'm sure there are plenty on Astana he wouldn't want on the Livestrong/Mellow Johnny's/Lance Is Great PRO team.

anubisza said:
Unlikely. Given his ego, I'd bet on him wanting to create his own team, and be able to chose his own riders. I'm sure there are plenty on Astana he wouldn't want on the Livestrong/Mellow Johnny's/Lance Is Great PRO team.
Which is exactly why we are being put through this soap opera.

Lance has only ever ridden as the self-appointed team leader. Even as an unknown youngster at Motorola, he adopted this attitude.

There is only one guy who will save Astana, and it ain't Lance, it's Vino.

Mellow Johnny's is NOT an option for the Tour.

License legal battles, new rider contracts and 9 million to pay back the money that would then be owed to the Kazakh's.

Best thing to do is tell Pat McQuaid to stop making up the rules as he goes along and let Astana continue in it's current form.

Funnily enough, Vino has just spoken.
Vino has spoken (Google Translation makes everything as clear as mud!)

And what do I do?
Enough to frighten Europe crazy money. Managers «Astana» should significantly cut back the budget instead of the club and world celebrities to recruit more to the team of Kazakh youth. And at first to solve local problems: do not fight for victory in the Tour, as, for example, T-shirts for the King of the mountain, or a better sprinter.

Something tells me he's had enough of JB and his signings........

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Let Vino have Astana back as a Pro Continental team (It won't be ProTour with his record) when he makes his comeback, let Johan Bruyneel take the ProTour license, give it to Lance to massage his ego with. Then let's all get on with watching Contador win the tour, no matter which team he's riding for.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

And what do I do?
Enough to frighten Europe crazy money. Managers «Astana» should significantly cut back the budget instead of the club and world celebrities to recruit more to the team of Kazakh youth. And at first to solve local problems: do not fight for victory in the Tour, as, for example, T-shirts for the King of the mountain, or a better sprinter.

I agree with Vinokourov.... Its a Kazakh team and it should be full of young Kazakh riders... Lance can go shove it. he he he

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Let Astana keep going as is?! WHAT??:eek: Hell, if no $ is required, I will take it over.

The 2009 Tour will be a disappointment without the participation of Astana.

And Lance will hunt you down, if necessary. Careful.:D

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
Couldn't give a stuff if Astana miss the Tour.

You are crazy. The drama this will create will be awesome.

1986 Tour LeMond VS Hinault was one of the best ever. - Similar situation. The upstart vs the old guard on the same team.

The story lines are endless.

In 1986, it really was a two man race but this year - I think there are maybe 10 riders that have real shot at winning everything. (4 of them are on Astana)

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Which is exactly why we are being put through this soap opera.

Lance has only ever ridden as the self-appointed team leader. Even as an unknown youngster at Motorola, he adopted this attitude.

There is only one guy who will save Astana, and it ain't Lance, it's Vino.

Mellow Johnny's is NOT an option for the Tour.

License legal battles, new rider contracts and 9 million to pay back the money that would then be owed to the Kazakh's.

Best thing to do is tell Pat McQuaid to stop making up the rules as he goes along and let Astana continue in it's current form.

And what do I do?

the sponsors need to honor there current contractual obigations. Astana shouldn't be expected to let them weasel out of the deals they made.

I think Vino is one of the bigest dope fiends the sport has ever seen and stand no chance to come back and be a gc contender under the current testing atmosphere.

If not for Vino the team wouldn't have gone down the tubes in the first place and JB would be somewhere else.

He wrecked the last tour he was in and nobody should be interested in anything he has to say unless he comes back and get's his credibility back through use of his legs, not his famously loud mouth.

The sponsors have honoured their current contractual commitment.
Funds are up to date.

The UCI have set a new presidence, in asking for millions in advance, that is not in the Pro tour charter or rules.

I wonder how many of the other 18 squads could dip into their back pockets and find 6 million there?
Just another example of the UCI's corruption.

It will either be Astana at the Tour or nobody.

It isn't simply a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul with a license.
The Kazakh's can legally challenge any move such as this, for what it is, in the courts.

Rider contracts could well go into limbo.

A

Anonymous

I just found out some really great news. Armstrong, Levi, and Horner will be racing in the Nevada City Classic this Sunday, and I will be there.....pictures to follow. OH JOY!!!!

TRENDING THREADS