• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong to bail out Astana?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
i'm sure we'll see Lance at the tour in one form or another. realistically, he's only got this year and next year, and i'm sure he won't half his viable participations. that being said, does anyone know what the UCI's, or more importantly, ASO's stance on a team being taken over potentially a week or two before the tour?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

I actually heard that they want this huge sum of money in advance, so that Astana can't pull the plug AFTER the tour. This would effectively that they'd get the best publicity for only half year's sponsorship (pretty clever move by Astana methinks)

Belokki said:
Last time I checked in 2005 Lance had a net worth of 52 million$, and that probably expanded since thanks to his bicycle shop?
The bike shop is tiny. And I'm willing to bet like most rich people, most of his money is in stocks, bonds and real estate - all of which has tanked since 2005. Still, I'd think he could afford to somehow fund a team.
Bala Verde said:
According to this cycling news site (sometimes horribly wrong in their journalistic endeavours) Nike and Livestrong are ready to take over Astana if they fold.
Highly unlikely. Nike just had the largest layoffs in their history. And Livestrong has said they are not equipped to own a large bicycle team - they operate as a non-profit cancer origination.

Whatever happened to HP as the main sponsor? I can however easily see a MellowJohnny's/HP/Nike/Trek/SRAM team owned by Lance. But will they be able to wrestle the PT license from the Kazaks in two weeks time???
jackhammer111 said:
He wrecked the last tour he was in and nobody should be interested in anything he has to say unless he comes back and get's his credibility back through use of his legs, not his famously loud mouth.
So, you're starting to agree with us on Lance? :eek:

Seriously, I normally can't stand Vino as he was one of the most egregious dopers and I agree with you. But I think there's a lot of logic in what he says about the current state of the team and how the Kazaks could progress with it. It makes sense for the team on both a financial, and developmental level to do what he says if they want to stay alive. They need to find a way to fund what they have currently, and look towards getting out from under the current weight of their all-star line-up and that financial burden in the long term.
Thoughtforfood said:
I just found out some really great news. Armstrong, Levi, and Horner will be racing in the Nevada City Classic this Sunday, and I will be there.....pictures to follow. OH JOY!!!!
A very beautiful race in a very beautiful part of the country. But it's a short circuit race! Anyway, if you get to talk to them, ask them if they will support hematology testing for blood volume using the carbon monoxide test as proposed by Michael Ashenden.

Bala Verde said:
I actually heard that they want this huge sum of money in advance, so that Astana can't pull the plug AFTER the tour. This would effectively that they'd get the best publicity for only half year's sponsorship (pretty clever move by Astana methinks)

That is the counter argument to the Kazakh's claims, doing the rounds.

However, given the relationship between the Kazakh government, sponsors and Vino, doesn't it seem a bit odd they would pull the financial plug, at the end of July?
That's a week after the guy who the whole team was financed for, returns.

Also, the other side of the coin.
Isn't that exactly what Armstrong did to Discovery, when he enticed them into their sponsorship?
Didn't he get them on board by promising to ride the 2006 season, which was their condition, but bailed after the 2005 Tour?

Who's to say he won't pull the same trick again?

Alpe d'Huez said:
The bike shop is tiny. And I'm willing to bet like most rich people, most of his money is in stocks, bonds and real estate - all of which has tanked since 2005. Still, I'd think he could afford to somehow fund a team.

Highly unlikely. Nike just had the largest layoffs in their history. And Livestrong has said they are not equipped to own a large bicycle team - they operate as a non-profit cancer origination.

Whatever happened to HP as the main sponsor? I can however easily see a MellowJohnny's/HP/Nike/Trek/SRAM team owned by Lance. But will they be able to wrestle the PT license from the Kazaks in two weeks time???

So, you're starting to agree with us on Lance? :eek:

Seriously, I normally can't stand Vino as he was one of the most egregious dopers and I agree with you. But I think there's a lot of logic in what he says about the current state of the team and how the Kazaks could progress with it. It makes sense for the team on both a financial, and developmental level to do what he says if they want to stay alive. They need to find a way to fund what they have currently, and look towards getting out from under the current weight of their all-star line-up and that financial burden in the long term.

A very beautiful race in a very beautiful part of the country. But it's a short circuit race! Anyway, if you get to talk to them, ask them if they will support hematology testing for blood volume using the carbon monoxide test as proposed by Michael Ashenden.

HP is not in very good shape financially right now - I am a shareholder. I doubt they'd be willing or able to make that kind of marketing investment. The board would go ape**** if they tried to do it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
T
However, given the relationship between the Kazakh government, sponsors and Vino, doesn't it seem a bit odd they would pull the financial plug, at the end of July?
That's a week after the guy who the whole team was financed for, returns.

That's true, but it could encourage some 'employees' to voluntarily leave due to continuous financial poker games. I mean the more hassle, without completely folding, the worse off the riders, especially the extranjeros, will be. They oust the Americo-hispano contingent, remove Bruyneel Logistics, and further their role as a Kazach cycling mecenas. In the post season, no rider will effectively be fielded due to power struggles between employees, UCI, Bruyneel and the Kazachs.

Astana (ie the Kazachs) benefit the most from a continued hassle, unless UCI calls their bluff and withdraws their license. Coughing up the dough 2 hours before each and evey UCI deadline, is not an infraction, but surely is a sign of being uncomitted to the team as it is...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

Livestrong.com is a for-profit venture owned by Demand Media.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:

I am going to see if I can get an "I believe Betsy" tee shirt printed.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
Last time I checked in 2005 Lance had a net worth of 52 million$, and that probably expanded since thanks to his bicycle shop?

A lot of bike shop owners would probably laugh hysterically at that statement.

Epicycle said:
Livestrong.com is a for-profit venture owned by Demand Media.

Thanks Epi. They did however recently say they were not prepared to take over Astana, or run a team larger than the U23 team they do.

Thanks for the tip on HP BikeCentric. That clarifies that.

Who's going to buy this team?

Another thing that comes to mind, if the UCI is demanding $6 mil from the Kazaks to keep the team going, what happens if a buyer comes along and doesn't have $6 mil cash, and makes an offer of $2 mil to get going, and the rest as the year progresses (as the UCI rules state), will that be considered acceptable, even though it's not for the Kazaks?

I think another tipping point is going to be when the Kazaks realize they can't keep the team together as is, but how to restructure. They may end up looking to thus shed serious weight, and just try to get to the Tour for publicity, and accept they can't win it with the watered down team. This would allow them to get very business like ruthless in that process. They would then start looking at shedding contracts, or offering them to other teams, and looking to fire people. Being able to "sell" Contador's contract to Caisse would be a good start. Then cutting Kloden for doping issues. Also looking at cutting management staff, even all the way up to JB. Then ditching Damsgaard's toothless "anti-doping" testing.

The point is this: It all comes down to money. They can field just about any team, with Lance in their jersey at the Tour, and get some visibility, even if they completely lose the race and a lot of DNF's. As much as Lance supports JB, he won't bail out of the Tour if they do ditch JB. As Lance won't be racing anything meaningful after the Tour, and considering they pay him no salary, I'd assume he's going to be gone, and then start looking at re-building the team with Vino and Kashi later in the year. Then, at the end of 2009, get rid of almost all other contracts, and rebuild a smaller, cheaper team.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Oh c'mon people. . . Pro Cycling is currently a mess and looking like a free-for-all more and more every day. You love it. . . .admit it . . you love every stinking rumor and the complete and utter chaos(thanks Paul Sherwin) that is going on.

What would life be without the drama?

Three cheers for . . . ??? I don't now . . . but I'll drink to them anyways:)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
We should all chip in to buy a plane ticket for that "syringe trident guy" from the Tour of California. Or maybe we could just have him ship his costume to someone who will wear it.

This time LA will hit him so hard he will be biting Nevada City dust instead of Palomar mountain dew. He looked a little chubby though, I don't know if he can stand the heat...

Syringe%2BMan%2B-%2Bhopefallsagain2-540x359.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
We should all chip in to buy a plane ticket for that "syringe trident guy" from the Tour of California. Or maybe we could just have him ship his costume to someone who will wear it.

Sheeeiiiit, BroDeal, and all this time, I thought that was YOU!! :p

53x11 in DC said:
Sheeeiiiit, BroDeal, and all this time, I thought that was YOU!! :p
I wish it were me. My parents live near there, I almost got to go to the race this year. I would have happily worn it.

Even though I'm no Lance fan, I have to admit I thought it was kind of funny the way Lance pushed him into the snow.

We definitely need a Part II, and Nevada City is the perfect place for it.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
I just found out some really great news. Armstrong, Levi, and Horner will be racing in the Nevada City Classic this Sunday, and I will be there.....pictures to follow. OH JOY!!!!

sounds great! you wanna hang out?

let's see.... southwest flies in to san jose..

you want to pick me up or just meet me there? :D