• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Armstrong to blame for his own cancer"

Sorry for yet another LA thread, but I thought this deserved one of its own.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ong-to-blame-for-his-own-cancer-sonnen-says/1

Chad Sonnen said:
Lance Armstrong did a number of things and he gave himself cancer. He cheated, he did drugs, and he gave himself cancer. Well, instead of saying 'Hey listen, I cheated and gave myself cancer, don't be like me.' He actually made himself the victim and then went out and profited something like $15 million dollars from this 'Hey, poor me, let's find a cure for cancer' campaign instead of just coming clean and saying, 'Look, here's what I did, I screwed myself up, and I hope people learn from my mistakes.'

Mr Sh*t, meet Mr Fan.

Lets see if Lance sues for this...

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe that this MMA fighter is living in our universe. Despite the courageousness of the statement, this would never see the inside of a courtroom, for the same reasons Armstrong hasn't successfully sued anyone who insinuates publicly that he doped.

However, wasn't there some discussion of a correlation between EPO therapy and increased tumor growth?

Also, Armstrong's net worth is $150-200mil, according to my google-fu.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
Phew! Hope he has good lawyers!
sonnen has nothing to worry about as texas told the world after the toc he’s done suing - too expensive ;)

jimmypop said:
I don't believe that this MMA fighter is living in our universe. Despite the courageousness of the statement, this would never see the inside of a courtroom, for the same reasons Armstrong hasn't successfully sued anyone who insinuates publicly that he doped.

However, wasn't there some discussion of a correlation between EPO therapy and increased tumor growth?

Also, Armstrong's net worth is $150-200mil, according to my google-fu.
there is solid research confirming epo’s role in tumour grows. same for steroids. sonnen blows air but happened to be at least somewhat informed.

hrotha said:
I think this might go a bit too far. Most dopers don't get cancer, and on the other hand you don't walk up to a smoker and rub on his face the fact that he caused his own cancer.
agreed but the important thing here is that the main stream american media unlike just 2 years ago is not afraid to give tribute to this type of talk.

python said:
sonnen has nothing to worry about as texas told the world after the toc he’s done suing - too expensive ;)

Yes, but this is a whole new ball game (snig ger). It's not "he had cancer, then came back to win the TdF. If he doped, they were all doing it and he still beat cancer", this is "the entire foundation is built upon one big fat lie and he made himself a victim when it was his own doing".

If he doesn't sue for this, I think many of us will have confirmation of what we've thought for a long time.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Yes, but this is a whole new ball game (snig ger). It's not "he had cancer, then came back to win the TdF. If he doped, they were all doing it and he still beat cancer", this is "the entire foundation is built upon one big fat lie and he made himself a victim when it was his own doing".

If he doesn't sue for this, I think many of us will have confirmation of what we've thought for a long time.

Why would Lance belittle himself for suing "Punchy"?

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't prostate cancer have strong links to higher-than-normal (unavoidable or otherwise) testosterone levels in 'that' region of the male anatomy?

I mean, some recent medication I came in contact with (finasteride for hair loss treatment) stifles testosterone production in that region (if taken orally via pill rather than topically via liquid application to the scalp) which, as a lucky aside, reduces cancer risk in the prostate and nut region. The drawback is less sexual arousal for the duration of the treatment via pill.

Is it really a big step to then link the types of testosterone patches Floyd Landis was using when he got caught (and which we all assume he was recommended by Lance) to nut cancer if used regularly on the nuts (if your physiology is unfortunate enough to be predisposed to such a problem to begin with)?

And if Lance *did* use such patches on his balls on a regular basis throughout his formative years and beyond (...hypothetically...), might it not be possible that side effects may POSSIBLY include testosterone related complications - such as increased cancer risk - in the long term? Remember the spine links one's balls to the brain via the torso, etc, which would explain cancer spreading throughout the body.

Personally i don't reckon it's so unreasonable to acknowledge that such a side effect is at least within the realms of possibility. Even if we all agree it might be unlikely...

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
Exactly, something tells me Sonnen is not the type of guy Lance wants to fight.

:D:D:D

I wouldn't say LA is the fighting type..not physically anyway. He is about a featherweight. I have had bigger lunches.

If you align that to the fact this guy probably has the cellular brain capacity of a sheep then I would suggest that LA could use the old Jedi mind trick on him.

I don't think LA will sue but I am sure his publicists will work overtime to ensure LiveStrong gets maximum publicity and the cagefighter guy gets castigated in the press for hating cancer sufferers worldwide and being a general all round "bad" person.

Roll on the hate machine. Woo Hoo!:eek:

May 25, 2009
Visit site
andy1234 said:
This will be music to Armstrongs ears.
True or not, there will be nothing but support from the cancer community coming for Lance on this one.....

This comment is spot on. Lance can use this as a rallying cry for the troops. Obviously, this comment goes too far in that it's very difficult to prove that Lance's cancer was caused by PED's.

On the other hand it's risky business escalting any story that's critical about himself. In the process of spinning this to the media or cancer commnunity readers still have to read that he lied, cheated etc.. Risky.

oldschoolnik said:
This comment is spot on. Lance can use this as a rallying cry for the troops. Obviously, this comment goes too far in that it's very difficult to prove that Lance's cancer was caused by PED's.

On the other hand it's risky business escalting any story that's critical about himself. In the process of spinning this to the media or cancer commnunity readers still have to read that he lied, cheated etc.. Risky.

I'm not sure about it being music to his ears. Yes, we cycling fans have long made a link between cancer of the balls and PED use, but to many non-cycling fans this will be an entirely new suggestion. It may well plant another seed of doubt in the public's minds and it's another straw for the camel's back at least.... there's only so many hits anyone can take before the mob start turning on them. Lance is no different.

But with him we may see epic proportions of vitriol from the cancer community if that camel's back does finally break.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Now to complete the story, I hope Lance meets this guy in a bar, starts a fight out of frustration, and gets his a$$ kicked! :D

Little story.

Was in a club in Ibiza in 2002. Small group of fighters (MMA or so I guessed from their outfits and physiques) from Russia or Latvia (dialect was dreadful) flanking an end of the bar proper. They were drinking and belligerent, attempting to interfere with nearly every female who went by. I observed only because the two bouncers, a couple of VERY big African guys, were doing their best diplomacy act in attempting to keep this group under control.

The short of it was they ended up in a brawl with several large English fellows who looked the rugger-type, probably quite tough in their own right, but ended up being massacred, with at least two of them stone cold knocked out, and it was all over in about 15 seconds. All of the Russians calmly walked out when asked, the African doormen were visibly shaking, and the English ruggers were being tended to by the staff, being lifted from the floor, bloodied and wondering where they were and what had just happened.

Moral of the story? Don't pick a fight with any of these blokes. Simply too dangerous, these men are trained to inflict massive punishment for sport.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
You really think people will take seriously the medical theories of an MMA fighter? an MMA fighter??? where do they fit on the intellect food chain somewhere between dinosaurs and parameciums?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Haters crawling out of the woodwork....

Yawn.

Trolling Hater Sportswriters getting personal best viewership articles mocking Lance. Tough Guys grrrrr. LoL.

How long until we see a sportswriter whip out the perennial favorite -"Bicycling is not a REAL Sport".

TRENDING THREADS