• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
LOL! ESPNs reporting that Wonderboy's supposedly "working out" some kind of settlement w/ the USJD on the USPS thing, but "he's worried" about any criminal charges against him & wants immunity. Why would you need immunity Wonderboy, if you've "never doped"?

Immunity is for far serious charges, intimidating Fed witnesses, transporting drugs across borders illegally, supply of drugs illegally, will he be done for non delcared earnings, ooh this is one big can of worms under wonderboys ****.

Benotti69 said:
Immunity is for far serious charges, intimidating Fed witnesses, transporting drugs across borders illegally, supply of drugs illegally, will he be done for non delcared earnings, ooh this is one big can of worms under wonderboys ****.

Oh I know....I just laugh that Mr. "I never Doped" is in a world of problems right now. Doubt this goes away w/o him getting something.

DirtyWorks said:
They'll run USAC from prison. The members won't care. In fact, they can't vote, so even if they cared, Wiesel's still in charge even from the cell block.

WADA lifetime ban for Wiesel is the bare minimum here, but that's not going to fly at the IOC.

I agree w/that thats what he should get, do you think he does though? Ochz should be too.

86TDFWinner said:
It was on the crawl on ESPN(bottom of screen). It said what I wrote above.

A news article, which I think was on ESPN's site, said the reason Armstrong was unable to reach a settlement is that he required broad immunity but the DOJ was only willing to offer immunity for the USPS fraud. It does not appear the sticking point was money.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Good summary by ESPN's legal guy, Lester Munson:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8975718/department-justice-intervention-floyd-landis-lawsuit-bad-sign-lance-armstrong

Recognizing that the confessions Armstrong made to Winfrey could lead to a second look at criminal charges, the Armstrong legal team included a demand for broad immunity from any criminal charge in its settlement. The team's goal was a global settlement that would have ended Armstrong's concerns about the whistle-blower lawsuit and the penitentiary.

According to an ABC News report, government lawyers were not willing to offer broad immunity and offered immunity to Armstrong only in the Postal Service dispute.

With the government's entry into the whistle-blower litigation, Armstrong is left with no resolution of his two most significant problems. What will happen? To settle the lawsuit, it's a simple matter of money. If he wants to settle and begin to recapture a fraction of his legacy, Armstrong must pay more than he wants to pay.

Munson also questions whether the DOJ would even consider dropping criminal charges against a guy who has now admitted his crimes, especially considering any leverage Lance may have had with his reputation as a do-gooder long gone and no more looming elections for Obama.

BroDeal said:
A news article, which I think was on ESPN's site, said the reason Armstrong was unable to reach a settlement is that he required broad immunity but the DOJ was only willing to offer immunity for the USPS fraud. It does not appear the sticking point was money.

I didnt get the whole article(as at the time, they must not have printed the whole thing yet), all we got was just the crawl. My buddy said "hey dude, they're talking about that ******y cyclist guy again". An article i read after posting that intially said that he and the USJD, were "tens of millions apart" in any sort of settlement, and yes, he wanted full immunity.

Munson also questions whether the DOJ would even consider dropping criminal charges against a guy who has now admitted his crimes, especially considering any leverage Lance may have had with his reputation as a do-gooder long gone and no more looming elections for Obama.

Well, I don't think anyone here would be willing to blame them or ask the DOJ to drop the charges against Wonderboy, if they decided to go ahead. I doubt they would, regardless of any kind of "settlement", but thats just my opinion.

His window of opportunity to save even a shred of his legacy is closing fast, and he's too foolish, stubborn, or stupid to realize it. Again, my opinion.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

At his point there is probably a wealth of witnesses; I can picture some racing to offer testimony so they can book their appearance on the next news cycle sportstalk show. Book rights to follow...

I can also picture the next dramatic headline: "Tour de Felony". By the time their done with Lance the actor that could play his current years will be Steve Buscemi instead of Bradley Cooper.

BroDeal said:
It does not appear the sticking point was money.

Maybe not, but it also appears that he would have had to offer more than the initial $5 million—and if Munson is to be believed, did offer substantially more than that. Munson also implies that the simple, straightforward thing for LA to do now is settle the DOJ lawsuit by offering however many millions it takes. I think he will do that, because now that he sees there is no way he can get immunity, his next priority has to be avoiding testimony. It sounds like he will have to pay DOJ more than $10 million, maybe a lot more, though Munson seems to forget the defendant here is Tailwind, and that includes others with deep pockets, particularly Weisel. Assuming they win the case, I don’t see that the feds have to worry about getting all the money they seek.

Another issue for LA has to be that his legal resources are stretched to the breaking point, with the SCA case apparently also heading to court, and the London Times case AFAIK not yet settled, either. If criminal charges are filed, he will want to get all of these purely financial cases out of the way.

Perhaps his new mantra should be: "I've done so much good for so many lawyers." Years from now, a lot of kids are going to owe their college education to Lance Armstrong.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I can also picture the next dramatic headline: "Tour de Felony". By the time their done with Lance the actor that could play his current years will be Steve Buscemi instead of Bradley Cooper.
yeah, but Buscemi with the Mickey Rourke turn in The Wrestler with all the hgh and roids.

TRENDING THREADS