• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's Future

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
No thread to post this too, but it was too good to pass up. From twitter a while ago:

@LanceArmstrong
Anti-doping copntrol. Blood and urine. Why am I not surprised? All good tho. about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Gee. Maybe someone called and warned you in advance?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Harmon was talking about The Pirate the other day and was saying how he polarizes views because the way he rode, and as a result of his "doping convictions". It's sad to see the deceased aren't afforded the same skeptical approach as those currently riding.
To say that Pantani polarized because of "the way he rode" is the biggest pile of dung I've read on this board in a long time. You want to know what polarization is? This, as described so well by Love the Scenery (great post, BTW):

Love the Scenery said:
Armstrong...has huge financial resources, far beyond those of any other cyclist, and the reason he has those resources is his ability to create a narrative that is attractive to the US public: cancer victim heroically recovers to defeat the decadent Europeans at their own game.

You don't seem to realize what an incredible insult it is to be tacitly accused of being in league with cancer, to be a 'doped europro', who is hooked on old-fashioned training methods or doesn even train at all, and who, above all, gives zip about people suffering from cancer. Because someone from far away, a holy place where things are done differently, has come to show how it's done, honestly and professionally. That is polarization: the idea that one guy represents the good ideals and the other the bad ones. Not attacking on a final climb and then picking up all those who escaped earlier to win the stage in a record time. Polarization is the division of people, not resolving a race.

Pantani is dead so we're not giving him his due as a doper? You obviously didn't read my post, because it is preposterous to reply to it the way you did. Let me summarize: Armstrong never tested formally positive, Pantani did. If you look at the facts, scientists should agree that they both tested positive. What else do you expect? Should I go to the monument in Cesenatico and pee on it? Hang his picture in a rehab clinic so people will be warned? Sorry, I loved the way he rode and when he won he was a great champion of the nineties. I'm not saying that because of anything that has to do with doping, but as a fan of cycling who likes one rider and dislikes another, just because I can.

It is absolutely untrue that there is no skeptical approach to Pantani; there has been for years and it has been more damning than is in fact justified by the facts. We don't know how much Pantani doped, but he's become symbol for it nevertheless. That is something to be skeptical about, especially considering the possibility that this anti-deification may have contributed to his death.

theswordsman said:
No thread to post this too, but it was too good to pass up. From twitter a while ago:
@LanceArmstrong
Anti-doping copntrol. Blood and urine. Why am I not surprised? All good tho. about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Gee. Maybe someone called and warned you in advance?

Shows he's really dumber than a bag of spanners to be still posting this SSDD.

@Jonathan: Common misconception. Pantani never tested positive, formally or otherwise.
He got pulled from the '99 Giro for "health reasons" .i.e. being over the 50% hematocrit arbitrary threshold.
Armstrong, on the other hand..........

Subsequently, he was found guilty of sporting fraud. So, it looks like Armstrong may be heading down the same path.

Other than that, I concur.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
@Jonathan: Common misconception. Pantani never tested positive, formally or otherwise.
He got pulled from the '99 Giro for "health reasons" .i.e. being over the 50% hematocrit arbitrary threshold.
Armstrong, on the other hand..........

Subsequently, he was found guilty of sporting fraud. So, it looks like Armstrong may be heading down the same path.

Other than that, I concur.
Actually, Pantani was acquitted of sporting fraud, but it was part of the verdict that he had used EPO. He just couldn't be tried for it because it wasn't a crime.

TRENDING THREADS