• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Arnaud Démare discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sad for Nono but the writing was on the wall: Gaudu sees the window closing with all the new talents emerging, this may be his last shot before Remco shows up, Ayuso develops, Almeida...it won't be easier in'24, '25, '26. Hence the outburst a few months back.

Démare didn't help himself by having a "meh minus" start of the season. And Thibaut had a really good Giro. So Madiot had to juggle three balls, with the 8-man format, you can't have three chiefs and only five indians (so to speak.) Add to that sponsors' and public pressure. I can't blame Marc Madiot.

Arnaud speaks too much and may not even be lined up for La Vuelta. No one wants a disgruntled rider in the team bus.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Sending Gaudu to the Vuelta would be the most stupid decision on the long term for FDJ.

Gaudu is the captain of the three that is at least capable of getting results in the next few years when Pinot has retired and an already declining Demare will have left the team. It is very important to retain a captain like Gaudu to be able to let Gregoire and Martinez develop without a crazy amount of immediate expectations. France is similar to Belgium in that aspect from my point of view.

Also putting in faith with a 26-year old Gaudu who has had some good performances is quite logical compared to Demare, who is also not a A-class rider anymore when it comes to sprinting. I am of the opinion that Demare hardly has a chance of success in these Tour sprints either, with Philipsen three levels above him and Jakobsen, Ewan and Groenewegen at least one-two levels. Then there is also a bunch of sprinters that I would consider at least similar.

Gaudu along with the young prospects are the future of this team. So for me it makes sense that Madiot has put his eggs in that basket.
I agree with that but the issues here for me is how it looks like it was handled, looks messy and they should of treated Demare a bit better than this considering he’s been a good servant to the team.

As if he has ever podiumed one...
But I agree in general your posts, there are only so many riders who deserve to demand full support at the Tour and he'd be very egotistical if he thinks he belong in that category.

I meant 'another' in terms of a different GT other than the Tour. That was my point, i.e. he hasn't podiumed a single GT. But you understand the general meaning of my post.

To be honest IMO Stefan Küng is the FDJ rider. He's the most consistent & the most pro as well (judging by his behavior at least). I think Gaudu is okay but I'd only send him to the Tour with a 'free role' insofar as he can either piggeyback on Jumbo & UAE until he's dropped (a bit like Ben O'Connor does at AG2R) or he can drop down in GC & target some breakaways for a stage win (or the polka jersey).

I agree with that but the issues here for me is how it looks like it was handled, looks messy and they should of treated Demare a bit better than this considering he’s been a good servant to the team.
Agree. And had a look just now....have to admit I never knew how great a rider Arnaud Demare is, ranking wise.
He is the highest ranked active French rider, & only seven French riders have more points in the PCS all time ranking.
Of course he deserves a TdF spot.

What you're describing for Gaudu Rackham, is what surely Pinot will be doing? Maybe have both of them with the same plan?!

Probably, yes. Based on some comments I've been reading on the gruppetto forum (French site with some insider scoops regarding French teams), Pinot is going to the Tour in a sort of free role, especially as Gaudu's form has given the team some private cause for concern.

But the big drama with Démare is the fact he was told he was doing the Tour 2023 late last year & nothing had changed since, even just a couple of weeks ago. Gaudu had that public outburst against Démare in January when he insulted him on Discord (basically said he told Démare what he thought of him & he didn't want him in the Tour team), which created a really weird vibe at FDJ.

I think a lot of this craziness inside FDJ probably stems from the route this year which doesn't have much ITT km's at all, which is something FDJ & Gaudu believe gives him an opportunity to get a high placement in GC. So Démare was basically told to f off for 'the greater good' of the team's GC hopes.

On the flipside Gaudu now has monster pressure to perform in the Tour.

I'm sad for Nono but the writing was on the wall: Gaudu sees the window closing with all the new talents emerging, this may be his last shot before Remco shows up, Ayuso develops, Almeida...it won't be easier in'24, '25, '26. Hence the outburst a few months back.

Démare didn't help himself by having a "meh minus" start of the season. And Thibaut had a really good Giro. So Madiot had to juggle three balls, with the 8-man format, you can't have three chiefs and only five indians (so to speak.) Add to that sponsors' and public pressure. I can't blame Marc Madiot.

Arnaud speaks too much and may not even be lined up for La Vuelta. No one wants a disgruntled rider in the team bus.
Demare is at the "Sagan in 2020" phase of his career. This is the time to offload him.

Reactions: Tonton
Lol, what nonsense not selecting him.

Gaudu is a top-5 rider at best, and he gets to call the shots like this? Pathetic!
That's what makes this so funny that Gaudu's current form means he'll be lucky to get top 15 at the Tour meanwhile Pinot will be feted around France like a hero (and no one will care where he comes on GC) . Démare, I imagine, will be sitting at home fuming and glaring at the TV. Happy Days! :)

Lol, what nonsense not selecting him. Gaudu is a top-5 rider at best, and he gets to call the shots like this? Pathetic!

That's the problem: with Pog, Jonas, hopefully Remco next year, it looks hopeless to seek a Tour win. But it still makes sense for Gaudu and for the team to see how high he can go. We don't know. Having the French GC hope is good to attract sponsors for a French team anyway.

I didn't like the leaks, stuff earlier this year, David. That's what really bothers me.

Nono: I took a great job in a hotel in Richmond just a few months after the French team stayed there for the RRWC. All the employees didn't give a cr@p about cycling, they saw parking restrictions. In the end they were all fans of Arnaud Démare. They knew his name. He was super nice to them, he was the chouchou. They will remember him. I'm not sure that the team handled it well, that they ever connected with and related to Arnaud like the staff at The Omni Richmond.

Nono is pi$$ed off. But he needs to shut up. It makes him look bad.

For me the worst part of whole thing is, well... wasn't he pretty much promised that he'd get to do the Tour this year?

Now, if Gaudu had shown exceptional form recently, or Demare had been really bad, then it would be a different matter. However, that hasn't really been the case.

That's what makes this so funny that Gaudu's current form means he'll be lucky to get top 15 at the Tour meanwhile Pinot will be feted around France like a hero (and no one will care where he comes on GC) . Démare, I imagine, will be sitting at home fuming and glaring at the TV. Happy Days! :)
Presumably he'll have more choice than watching the Fonz and Richie for three weeks!

There might be more chances for Démare to win a stage, but nothing really suggests he'd actually be capable of doing so at the moment. Gaudu doesn't have to be at 100% to have a chance in a breakaway.
But for Gaudu to get in a break that sticks, he'll have to drop a whole lot of time, which means his GC hopes will be shot. If he's supposed to be going for GC then Démare has just as good as chance, if not better.

But for Gaudu to get in a break that sticks, he'll have to drop a whole lot of time, which means his GC hopes will be shot. If he's supposed to be going for GC then Démare has just as good as chance, if not better.
Maybe, but, provided his shape improves of course, he has a better chance of getting a good CG placing than Démare has of winning a stage. And if Démare's presence would hurt the atmosphere within the team, then leaving him at home isn't a wrong decision according to me.

If Gaudu doesn't have the legs to finish in the top 5, he should abandon GC and go for stages instead.

Reactions: Tonton
Tonton says Démare's a good guy so maybe it's Gaudu who's stirring things up (did n't he start all of this circus was his online posting) ?
Yes.
Plus FDJ kept Demare over Bouhanni due to Demare being a “good guy” as well. Both had 30 wins but Bouhanni’s 30 was far greater than Demare’s. Bouhanni had won 10 WT wins, 5 GT stages and points classification while Demare’s had 3 WT wins with his big wins being Vattenfall Classic and a TdS stage. Bouhanni up to that point was looking like the better rider but had his temper, personality, and off the race issues. After the fact Demare has paid FDJ’s faith back in dividends, so it is sad that their paths end like this when both believed in the other.

"If Gaudu doesn't have the legs to finish in the top 5, he should abandon GC and go for stages instead."
I thought Pinot was going along to help Gaudu in the GC, super domestique as they used to say. All I can see at the moment is Pinot dropping Gaudu on the climbs, which will be embarrassing for all concerned.
We'll see after just the first two stages at the Tour how things stand.

Reactions: Sandisfan