• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Arriagada Positive for Anabolic Substance

Let's wait to hear his excuse.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arriagada-positive-for-anabolic-substance

Now, he tested positive in the National Tour of Chile, so the San Luis race results should be wiped out if found guilty, am I right?

So the victory would go to Serpa? maybe too early to tell.

I didn't know that he was 35 years old. That is strange that a rider that old was dominating against some of the very well known pro-tour riders. It does not help his defense.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I already know his defence

I already know what he's going to say just like everyone else going forward.

Wow must have been that steak at breakfast.

Until WADA smacks steakboy thats everyone's defence,

its something I eat,
didn't know about it,
bad meat karma,
now I'm vegan,
sorry
etc.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
No, no, no...didn't you hear? He denies it "emphatically."

Let's see, he "dominated the Latin American calendar since the turn of the year, with wins in Argentina, Chile and the Dominican Republic. His Tour de San Luis victory was particularly noteworthy, as the 35-year-old saw off a field including the likes of José Serpa, Xavier Tondo and Ivan Basso to take overall honours."

Nothing suspicious there whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Escarabajo said:
Let's wait to hear his excuse.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arriagada-positive-for-anabolic-substance

Now, he tested positive in the National Tour of Chile, so the San Luis race results should be wiped out if found guilty, am I right?

So the victory would go to Serpa? maybe too early to tell.

I didn't know that he was 35 years old. That is strange that a rider that old was dominating against some of the very well known pro-tour riders. It does not help his defense.

Since he didn't test positive in San Luis i guess he would keep the win.

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
mountaindew said:
It's Latin America. Still part of the job down there.
It is really annoying when people say that in Latin America doping is more extensive than in Europe. Lucho Herera retired at 31 years old because he began getting dropped in mountains in Europe. One of the best climbers in the history, in his peak age, getting dropped. Quite a lot South American riders couldn't go to Europe during the 90's and the beggining of last decade because they weren't supposely good enough. Colombian riders live and train in places at least 2000 meters over the sea level, but they weren't good enough climbers in Europe. Because European trained harder, 8 hours a week? Or perhaps because high cadence riding? Take a guess.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
tofino said:
Wow must have been that steak at breakfast.

Until WADA smacks steakboy thats everyone's defence

The precedent has been set. Its the best defence going. Its been ruled plausible enough to be possible and near impossible to prove. Foolhardy now not to use it and it underscores how important it is that WADA, UCI and/or CAS take a stand, otherwise the game has changed.

Sanj&#363 said:
The precedent has been set. Its the best defence going. Its been ruled plausible enough to be possible and near impossible to prove. Foolhardy now not to use it and it underscores how important it is that WADA, UCI and/or CAS take a stand, otherwise the game has changed.

The game has only changed with respect to substances found in the food supply. It's not going to fly with drugs like EPO or anabolic steroids. What's going to be the excuse? Oh, I ate a pro wrestler?

Granville57 said:
No, no, no...didn't you hear? He denies it "emphatically."

Let's see, he "dominated the Latin American calendar since the turn of the year, with wins in Argentina, Chile and the Dominican Republic. His Tour de San Luis victory was particularly noteworthy, as the 35-year-old saw off a field including the likes of José Serpa, Xavier Tondo and Ivan Basso to take overall honours."

Nothing suspicious there whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Basso rolled in 47th at San Luís. Tondó was about 21st but then he had been the leader. Beating Basso in San Luís is no more suspicious than beating Andy Schleck in Tirreno-Adriatico.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Ildabaoth said:
It is really annoying when people say that in Latin America doping is more extensive than in Europe. Lucho Herera retired at 31 years old because he began getting dropped in mountains in Europe. One of the best climbers in the history, in his peak age, getting dropped. Quite a lot South American riders couldn't go to Europe during the 90's and the beggining of last decade because they weren't supposely good enough. Colombian riders live and train in places at least 2000 meters over the sea level, but they weren't good enough climbers in Europe. Because European trained harder, 8 hours a week? Or perhaps because high cadence riding? Take a guess.

Colombians probably failed in Europe because they were not used to the level of competion there, nothing else. Also it was probably different climate, language foods, culture. They were probably homesick.

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
flicker said:
Colombians probably failed in Europe because they were not used to the level of competion there, nothing else. Also it was probably different climate, language foods, culture. They were probably homesick.
With due respect, I don't know if you are serious or if you are just trolling. Herrera was ALREADY competing with the europeans. One of the few cyclists who managed to be King of the Mountains in every GT. And suddenly, at the peak of his career, getting dropped by riders 20 kg heavier than him. And other great riders didn't even have the opportunity to go to Europe because there were already lots of better climbers than them in the 90's. Or perhaps when you include "foods" in your list, you are trying to say they lacked of steak ;). That would be a nice possibility.

TRENDING THREADS