• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ASO picks 3 Spanish TDF winners 4 dope testing post stage: Contador, Sastre, Perriro

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Interesting:

http://twitter.com/itvtdf

"NedB: 3 riders picked for a Doping test. Contador, Perreiro and Sastre. 3 TdF winners. 3 Spaniards. Is a point being made by ASO?"

Question: If one of these had the incredible amount of stupidity it would take to dope with EPO for the stage to Arcalis when would they have used the EPO? How far before the effort (climb to Arcalis) do you have to take EPO for it to have its effects.

Note: I DO NOT FOR A SECOND (can you imagine, Spanish rider kicked out for doping in TDF when TDF is in Spain) believe any of these guys would be that stupid but its just a question in terms of how EPO works and how testers may try and structure testing to catch it.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Nah, Lance spoke to ASO and wants to make sure the Spanish are not beating him at his own game.

byu123 said:
Interesting:

http://twitter.com/itvtdf

"NedB: 3 riders picked for a Doping test. Contador, Perreiro and Sastre. 3 TdF winners. 3 Spaniards. Is a point being made by ASO?"

Question: If one of these had the incredible amount of stupidity it would take to dope with EPO for the stage to Arcalis when would they have used the EPO? How far before the effort (climb to Arcalis) do you have to take EPO for it to have its effects.

Note: I DO NOT FOR A SECOND (can you imagine, Spanish rider kicked out for doping in TDF when TDF is in Spain) believe any of these guys would be that stupid but its just a question in terms of how EPO works and how testers may try and structure testing to catch it.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe this thread should be checked into "The Clinic"?

Favs won't do EPO, but some might do own/autologous blood transfusions (think two days before to have an effect). Undetectable. No tests at the Tour for this.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
For the record, every year at the Tour, riders are targeted for constant testing (this is far more radical than the "extra" testing reserved for the list of 50 targeted riders for each Tour) when their samples taken before stage 1 show "screwy" values (you know what I mean).

Last year quite a few riders who ended up being caught were targeted "extra" in this way, along with 3 or 4 more who weren't caught (the AFLD eventually disclosed some names).

This year as far as I know, no one's yet disclosed who the most tested athletes are......

except for the most tested. Menchov is being tested every single day without exception at this year's Tour.

I don't need to spell it out more clearly do I? :p

A

Anonymous

Parrot23 said:
Maybe this thread should be checked into "The Clinic"?

Favs won't do EPO, but some might do own/autologous blood transfusions (think two days before to have an effect). Undetectable. No tests at the Tour for this.

169lrt0.png

:D

May 13, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
For the record, every year at the Tour, riders are targeted for constant testing (this is far more radical than the "extra" testing reserved for the list of 50 targeted riders for each Tour) when their samples taken before stage 1 show "screwy" values (you know what I mean).

Last year quite a few riders who ended up being caught were targeted "extra" in this way, along with 3 or 4 more who weren't caught (the AFLD eventually disclosed some names).

This year as far as I know, no one's yet disclosed who the most tested athletes are......

except for the most tested. Menchov is being tested every single day without exception at this year's Tour.

I don't need to spell it out more clearly do I? :p

Precisely, and that's why separating race discussion from the big, scary 'D' doesn't make sense at all. How many posters on this side of the forum have asked 'where's Menchov, why does he suck now when he won the Giro in May?' and not found the answer here?

Open the doors of perception.
Break on through to other side.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Precisely, and that's why separating race discussion from the big, scary 'D' doesn't make sense at all. How many posters on this side of the forum have asked 'where's Menchov, why does he suck now when he won the Giro in May?' and not found the answer here?

Open the doors of perception.
Break on through to other side.

Menchov lost over a minute today to boot. I think he is 5 minutes down before the Tour even sees the first mountain. I do agree with separating the dope discussion from the race discussion and am now regretting putting this thread here. I put it up as a result of report I read after todays stage . . . current race event as opposed to general discussion/b!tch session about doping in cycling. Should have put it in the "clinic" . . . my apologies. BTW as the thread starter can you transfer the thread from here to "clinic"?

May 19, 2009
Visit site
byu123 said:
Menchov lost over a minute today to boot. I think he is 5 minutes down before the Tour even sees the first mountain. I do agree with separating the dope discussion from the race discussion and am now regretting putting this thread here. I put it up as a result of report I read after todays stage . . . current race event as opposed to general discussion/b!tch session about doping in cycling. Should have put it in the "clinic" . . . my apologies. BTW as the thread starter can you transfer the thread from here to "clinic"?

Sad to see Menchov throw in the towel. I don't know whether he plans to do the vuelta, but from here on out, I don't expect any real effort from him.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
No reason to test Periero. The only way he can win is if the peloton gives him thirty minutes...
If that happens he'll suddenly find the extraordinary "power of the yellow jersey" again.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
To answer the question: Kohl said that transfusions have to be given at least 1 day before an important stage to make an effect. Tomorrow is the important stage, so, checking crit (or maybe even for homologous transfusions) today definitely makes sense. Maybe they're counting reticulocytes as well. Why target the Spanish riders? Well, they're in Spain. From a logistics point of view, the Spanish might have it easier. Probably yesterday, they transfered to Gerone, which would've been an almost ideal place to get stuff done. Many riders live there anyway.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
byu123 said:
Should have put it in the "clinic" . . . my apologies. BTW as the thread starter can you transfer the thread from here to "clinic"?

We'll all be checked in there for detox after our Tour overdose, so you'll find us there in any case. :rolleyes:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
To answer the question: Kohl said that transfusions have to be given at least 1 day before an important stage to make an effect. Tomorrow is the important stage, so, checking crit (or maybe even for homologous transfusions) today definitely makes sense. Maybe they're counting reticulocytes as well. Why target the Spanish riders? Well, they're in Spain. From a logistics point of view, the Spanish might have it easier. Probably yesterday, they transfered to Gerone, which would've been an almost ideal place to get stuff done. Many riders live there anyway.

Actually, whoever's had them, has had them for the TTT. Which goes a long way toward explaining the sudden variations in performance

May 13, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Actually, whoever's had them, has had them for the TTT. Which goes a long way toward explaining the sudden variations in performance

I'm not so sure. If you do it for the TTT then why not for stage 1 and then top off for stage 7, roughly a week later.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
I'm not so sure. If you do it for the TTT then why not for stage 1 and then top off for stage 7, roughly a week later.

Why do I get the gut feeling that the heretofore unavailable test for autologous blood doping, which WADA has been hinting for awhile was in the process of being developed and as of last October was in the "validation" stage, is now available and being used in this years TDF? We can only hope.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/oct/10/drugsinsport-cycling

"Olivier Rabin, the director of science at Wada, said: "We do not indicate when a test is ready, so as not to warn athletes. We are looking for specific methods to reveal autologous blood transfusions, but as of today these methods are not implemented - they're still at the validation stage. But [a test] is coming." October 10, 2008

If the test has been in "validation stage" as of 9 months ago. What better time to pull that cat out of the bag than right before the first serious mountain top finish in the TDF????

Shades of the unknown CERA test surprise may be in the offing for anyone engaged in autologous blood doping. You would have to be totally brain dead to do autologous blood doping if you were a rider. You know that since 2004 they can store and go back and test samples AND you know its only a matter of time before they perfect the one they are clearly working on. How stupid would you have to be to use autologous blood doping knowing either A) you are going to get nailed during the TDF, or B) shortly thereafter. Lose/Lose for blood dopers.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
So if there's a positive/ejection in the Tour, which forum do we discuss it in?

These are the 'rules' to the forum - pretty self explanatory.

The Clinic
The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Whats left for blood dopers??? (Assuming the autologous blood test is here).

Aside from far fetched conspiracy theories (non-existent secret US Army drugs etc.) what is left for a desperate blood doper? EPO, CERA, Homologous, Autologous blood doping all out . . . what do they have to turn to? Hopefully the answer is nothing.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
byu123 said:
Whats left for blood dopers??? (Assuming the autologous blood test is here).

Aside from far fetched conspiracy theories (non-existent secret US Army drugs etc.) what is left for a desperate blood doper? EPO, CERA, Homologous, Autologous blood doping all out . . . what do they have to turn to? Hopefully the answer is nothing.

That is a good question - but it should be taken to The Clinic!

I have a room there - and if you are a member of a ProTour team I can probably put you up on the team account ;)

TRENDING THREADS