• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana in disarray...?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Astana to loose its ProTour license. Announcement later today or on Thursday.

And if this happens, doesn't that mean Contador will finally be free to break his contract and go to another team? It would be awesome if that were to happen just in time for the TdF route presentation with Lance. Would love to see AC announce his new team for the first time right in front of LA - especially since LA is so well-known for his poker face.

Beech Mtn said:
And if this happens, doesn't that mean Contador will finally be free to break his contract and go to another team? It would be awesome if that were to happen just in time for the TdF route presentation with Lance. Would love to see AC announce his new team for the first time right in front of LA - especially since LA is so well-known for his poker face.

Yes he will be free. The new doping saga will also ensure no Tour invite.

Am I missing something? - Isn't Astana Group a state-owned company - and the cycling team the states premier marketing vehicle?

Why woulds they suddenly default on payments, with no prior warning?

Also right now, team managers all over Europe, are frantically calling sponsors to get extra budget, if Lopez, Fuglsang, Sanchez, Lutsenko, Cort, etc. suddenly become available ;)

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
fauniera said:
pastronef said:
@inrng

Astana team under threat of closure, hasn't received funding for 2018 says Vinokourov, "situation is critical", h/t @Biarnes72 http://vesti.kz/astana/247196
Which helps explain why Lutsenko suddenly can climb i guess.
It explains why Aru quit Astana to sign a three-year contract with UAE Team Emirates, he saw it coming...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vinokourov-to-seek-damages-from-aru-after-move-to-uae-team-emirates/

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Am I missing something? - Isn't Astana Group a state-owned company - and the cycling team the states premier marketing vehicle?

Also right now, team managers all over Europe, are frantically calling sponsors to get extra budget, if Lopez, Fuglsang, Sanchez, Lutsenko, Cort, etc. suddenly become available ;)

I could easily see Movistar Team going to Telefonica (Movistar's parent company) asking for more money or even their smaller sponsors to try and get Sanchez back.

I agree there will teams everywhere that have open spots begging sponsors for more money to try to get at least one of several of the Astana riders. I can definitely see Trek going after either Lopez or Fuglsang.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
I could easily see Movistar Team going to Telefonica (Movistar's parent company) asking for more money or even their smaller sponsors to try and get Sanchez back.

I agree there will teams everywhere that have open spots begging sponsors for more money to try to get at least one of several of the Astana riders. I can definitely see Trek going after either Lopez or Fuglsang.
Sanchez? Really? I know he's friends with some of them, but if they haven't got the budget spare to pay him already they'll be overpaying him. He's 34 and not winning that much

Lopez would be the big prize. Who can get the money together?

I doubt the team will fold though.

Parker said:
Koronin said:

Sanchez? Really? I know he's friends with some of them, but if they haven't got the budget spare to pay him already they'll be overpaying him. He's 34 and not winning that much

Lopez would be the big prize. Who can get the money together?

I doubt the team will fold though.

Remember their budget only falls right around the average budget for teams. Not sure how close to the limit they are, but the money they are paying to Valverde (their highest paid rider), Quintana and Landa, who knows what kind of money they have left over to go after someone else.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:

Oil price drop took a hammer to the Kazakh economy.

Broccolidwarf said:
Salvarani said:
What happens if the team folds right in the middle of the season? Can that happen?

Like what happens with riders... they would be free to sign for any team?

That would be pretty crazy.

That is exactly what would happen, they would all be free to sign with someone else, with immediate effect.

Wow... that would really be crazy.

It is not like someone could afford to just sign-up 3-4 riders either... they would all pretty much have to split up. They have at least 10 riders that every team would jump on to sign I feel like.

If BMC and Astana are gone by the end of the year that leaves a pretty big hole not to mention many good riders scrambling for a roster spot. Richie Porte may have been smart to give BMC until the end of May to find a new sponsor re his current contract otherwise he is looking elsewhere. Vaughters team also looked to be folding until a late sponsor pick up. Seems like pro cycling has some thinking and reorganizing to do when three of their long term teams are or were on the precipice. Astana being state sponsored brings it's own set of problems.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
How many open spots on JV's team? He likes to pick up riders on the cheap.

Of course nobody much has any money this time of year.

Superman to Sky if Froome leaves an opening on the roster? I'd hate to see it personally, but would be better than no contract in the big leagues.

Re:

movingtarget said:
If BMC and Astana are gone by the end of the year that leaves a pretty big hole not to mention many good riders scrambling for a roster spot. Richie Porte may have been smart to give BMC until the end of May to find a new sponsor re his current contract otherwise he is looking elsewhere. Vaughters team also looked to be folding until a late sponsor pick up. Seems like pro cycling has some thinking and reorganizing to do when three of their long term teams are or were on the precipice. Astana being state sponsored brings it's own set of problems.

Astana is not "by the end of the year" - it's now.

They may not be able to pay next months salaries.....

TRENDING THREADS