• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana in disarray...?

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
What's going on with Astana ? Lance wearing number 21 which is a slap in the face for Levi, funding problems with the team on near collapse this month, Bruyneel seemingly not able to control his team; Contador attacking when he wants, going off the radar for training on his own, support team riders falling apart and off the pace from the leaders - What is going on with the former champions of pro cycling ? What are they missing ? Its seems to be going all horribly wrong.

Expect to see the team gone by June.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
This time, WBT, I think you're right.

I'm always right.

"The only satisfaction one can gain this year is watching German efficiency in action at the T-Mobile squad who has one goal and one rider and one team….. the rest is preparation."

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Wonderful find! A broken clock is right twice a day.

You have to admit thou... they have become the joke of cycling. I mean the Catalin drug program was just the tip of the iceberg of idiocy. Its time for the cows to come home to roost. They are embarrassment to the peleton. Their uniforms look stupid and the can't ride for one rider. For all their Twittering and carrying on they are just going to dissolve.

A

Anonymous

whiteboytrash said:
What's going on with Astana ? Lance wearing number 21 which is a slap in the face for Levi,
Ok.. its alphabetical dummy...

whiteboytrash said:
funding problems with the team on near collapse this month,

near collapse is maybe a bit over the top, but certainly they need to sort out the problems with the sponsors...

whiteboytrash said:
Bruyneel seemingly not able to control his team;

oh.. why.. whos out of control....

whiteboytrash said:
Contador attacking when he wants, going off the radar for training on his own

He has attacked...?? When... i thought he was on holiday..

whiteboytrash said:
support team riders falling apart and off the pace from the leaders - What is going on with the former champions of pro cycling ? What are they missing ? Its seems to be going all horribly wrong.

Falling off the pace... erm.. Levi 26 seconds off the top of the GC in 5th place with his biggest challenger 30 seconds back.. with Popyvich and Armstrong right up there with him for company....

whiteboytrash said:
You have to admit thou... they have become the joke of cycling. I mean the Catalin drug program was just the tip of the iceberg of idiocy. Its time for the cows to come home to roost. They are embarrassment to the peleton. Their uniforms look stupid and the can't ride for one rider. For all their Twittering and carrying on they are just going to dissolve.

I assume you are spouting nonsense for a bet? And anyway.. didnt you know... this weeks joke is Garmin... Bradley wiggins finishing in the top group on a mountain stage i ask you.. :D

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
And anyway.. didnt you know... this weeks joke is Garmin... Bradley wiggins finishing in the top group on a mountain stage i ask you.. :D

As a clean yardstick I refer you to Chris Boardman's performances in the Dauphine some years back.

If Bradley is still banging it out in the same style after three weeks then you can start laughing.... :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
You have to admit thou... they have become the joke of cycling.
No I dont.
Certainly Astana have some structural issues, and the more I think of it, I think it has to do with a pecular mind-set within the Kazak sponsorship. But any team with riders such as Contador, Leipheimer, Popovych, Zubeldia, Horner, Brajkovic, Rubiera, and yes, even Armstrong can hardly be considered a joke.

You dont like their kits? Fine, I'm not a fan of Columbia's kit. Does that mean Columbia is a joke?

You think something is horribly wrong with Leipheimer wearing bib 24? BFD! Thomas Voekler always wears the _9 bib; if C. Vande Velde was the protected rider, why was he wearing 87? (Maybe that is why he fell) Why are the top Columbia GC riders wearing 174, 178, and 179?

That said, I do think Astana will fold. Given the political climate in Kazakhstan, seems to me the real reason however, is the financial backers are tired of not being in control of who is on the team, and when, how, and where the team races. And given Basso's warm welcome back into the pelaton, I'm sure Kazak sponsors think ASO, RCS, et all would love to have Vino back. They are, sadly, mistaken.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
let's see they have 4,5,6 in the GC and contador is on a beach so he's not attacking any mountains, yeah thay are on the verge of financial collapse people it's the 4th stage of grand tour what do you want them to do to impress you take the jersey from start to finish, except for financial problems I think they are ok until the tour comes around

A

Anonymous

franciep10 said:
let's see they have 4,5,6 in the GC and contador is on a beach so he's not attacking any mountains, yeah thay are on the verge of financial collapse people it's the 4th stage of grand tour what do you want them to do to impress you take the jersey from start to finish, except for financial problems I think they are ok until the tour comes around

well they could have at least won the TTT and put lance in yellow... then won a couple of sprints and then let levi attack today so they have to defend the pink jersey for three weeks...

oh badboygolf16v (although how on earth you can be a bad boy in a golf i dont know.. but anyway) the comment about garmin was humour.. ;)

A

Anonymous

ridley said:
dimspace said:
well they could have at least won the TTT and put lance in yellow...
QUOTE]

Sorry to break it to you DS - no yellow jersey in this tour (unless you ride for TCHR ;)

typo.. its late.. my brain isnt working.. :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
WBT, I assume this is a baiting thread - I'll take the bait...

- 6 guys in lead group today
- 5 in the top 25 GC
- 3rd in TTT
- Trofeo Super Team
- Trofeo Fast Team

- California
- Castilla Leon
- P-N (2nd)
- Pais Vasco
- Gila ;)

I assure you there is more money than God waiting to support these guys in June/July. As soon as the Kazakhs give up for good (or the team gives up on them), there will be many drooling at the opportunity to pick them up for the rest of the season. Anybody here remember Coast? Teams loaded with talent gets picked up.

Race numbers? REALLY?

The nutbags on this board are starting to remind me of the guy holding the signboard on the street corner predicting the impending apocalypse.

Methinks S-L, Garmin, etc. would KILL for this dysfunction.

whiteboytrash said:

It's true, their uniforms aren't the greatest. But at least they're not all black. I don't like kits that are all black. It's lame. (Although being blue is a close second in lame-ness.)

Also, despite it all, I think Leipheimer will win this Giro. But that doesn't mean I have to like him.

astana is kazakstan

For all I know just about all sponsors beside maybe Nike Treck and Sram all major sponsors are Kazak, I think is normal for that country to have a national hero or even two, it's true there are many, many stars in the Astana team, but that doesn't mean anything for the people that actually consume those sponsor products (kazak people mostly) do you think they really care about AC or Lance or even Levi for crying out loud? Just to give a perfect example of what I'm talking about: in my country of origin there was a guy who won the Boston Marathon many, may years ago and still he's regarded as a national hero there is even a national stadium bearing his name, in kazaksthan they need that hero, his name is Alexander.

A

Anonymous

gatete said:
For all I know just about all sponsors beside maybe Nike Treck and Sram all major sponsors are Kazak, I think is normal for that country to have a national hero or even two, it's true there are many, many stars in the Astana team, but that doesn't mean anything for the people that actually consume those sponsor products (kazak people mostly) do you think they really care about AC or Lance or even Levi for crying out loud? Just to give a perfect example of what I'm talking about: in my country of origin there was a guy who won the Boston Marathon many, may years ago and still he's regarded as a national hero there is even a national stadium bearing his name, in kazaksthan they need that hero, his name is Alexander.

well isnt it up to kazak cycling, and the people of kazaksthan to provide astana with a cyclist a) good enough to get in the team and b) a hero for them...

at the moment, they havnt got one, so whats JB to do, fill the team with half rate kazaks and ride the tour of britain hoping for a couple of stage wins...

A

Anonymous

Jamsque said:
So, Kloden got caught. No surprises there. I wonder how long it will take Lance Twitterstrong to comment about it.

well theres a surprise.. assume immediate suspension.. im not entirely sure why discostana kept him on after they took over..

whiteboytrash said:
What's going on with Astana ? Lance wearing number 21 which is a slap in the face for Levi, funding problems with the team on near collapse this month, Bruyneel seemingly not able to control his team; Contador attacking when he wants, going off the radar for training on his own, support team riders falling apart and off the pace from the leaders - What is going on with the former champions of pro cycling ? What are they missing ? Its seems to be going all horribly wrong.

Expect to see the team gone by June.

This part I pretty much agree with. It is insulting that Lance is the team leader in the Giro. But we knew that. Even if he doesn't have the second digit of "1" at the Tour, he'll be the team leader at the Tour as well. Contador will be on his own. Then again, JB has never really done a whole lot to fit into Contador's style.

The team will be gone by June, at least as far as "Astana" goes. But "Livestrong" will be at the Tour, with nearly every member of the team focused on winning for Lance. Contador will be on his own. I actually would go as far to say if Lance is close to AC at the Tour on GC, that AC will magically have another bonk like he did in Paris-Nice.

Real pity at this point that AC didn't manage to sign with another team when Lance said he was joining Astana.

whiteboytrash said:
You have to admit thou... they have become the joke of cycling. I mean the Catalin drug program was just the tip of the iceberg of idiocy. Its time for the cows to come home to roost.

Chickens come home to roost. But yes, I get your point. The Catlin thing was an insult in retrospect. Damning to the sport, at the worst possible time. Lemond was called out for being a whiner and attention wohre at the time of interbike for criticizing them. Once again, he's been shown to be correct.

Uniforms don't look that bad to me. But we're at a time when there are a lot of uninspiring uniforms.

Meanwhile, Tom Danielson is in 100th place, already 27 minutes behind. If he had stayed on Astana he would probably only be 20 minutes back. But at least he'd have a platform to boast, then whine and complain more.

TRENDING THREADS