• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana reconfirms Contador's role for 2010

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Bruyneel sticking the knife in.

Lance twisting it.

Got the kid by the balls. What will he do next.

European court boys and girls.

If there is a TTT of any distance in the TdF next year and AC is on Astana ...

Might make the mountain top finishes very interesting.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
This press release came out as Lance won Leadville and took away some of this thunder. Coincidence?

I have yet to see an explanation as to why AC is contracted with the Kazakhs and many others are not. Zubeldia is with Olympus - he has said so. Who else is at Astana that has a contract through 2010? Kloden re-signed last year - I remember he said he liked the professionalism of JB's crew - but not sure who his contract is with.

Of Alberto's crew Jesus and Benjamin - I believe (but could be wrong) that Jesus signed for 1 year (but with who). Not sure abt Noval. Navarro was with Astana before JB came over. He was with AC back in the Liberty S. days.

Oh Vino you are barely back and the drama has increased tenfold. Mn - I thought I was done wth trying to spell Kazakhstan. Ugh. Please Alberto sue them - my spell check will be grateful.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
So it's Vuelta/Giro again for Alberto then? As I would not be surprised if Astana did not get an invite. Not invited after winning - again. Alberto is going to turn into a domineering control freak after all this ends.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
couldnt agree more........not the best scenario
and yes the whole who signed with whom is preposterous.....

i actually started thinking he may not ride the TDF next year, that boy is a boyscout but i wouldnt want a disgruntled boyscout on my team.

due to some riders leaving astana will have room to bring on some good horsepower , who knows maybe horner will still be there , that would be funny to me.....i do think a TTT depending on the team they roll out may be a bit of an issue for astana.

maybe its a good thing, in 2011 berto is free to fly and by then everybody and there mother would have gotten there finances together and be able to hire Contador, and his retinue, maybe even hire his mom to cook home cooked meals

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's over yet they're a lot of scenarios where alberto could leave astana, he could sue or he could refuse to ride for astana. But this is a horrible scenario for contador I think he needs to come home with caisse.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
So it's Vuelta/Giro again for Alberto then? As I would not be surprised if Astana did not get an invite. Not invited after winning - again. Alberto is going to turn into a domineering control freak after all this ends.

No way this happens. I can see them banning Vino. But to deny LA his rematch against AC? Not gonna happen.

ASO is a profit making institution are they not?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I hope he hires a damn good lawyer to get away once for all from that mess called Astana.... but then again-he won this years TDF without a Team-I guess he can pull it of again regardless....:D

Word is Horner is still negotiating with Astana. Vino, if he rides, would make an excellent team mate. Add a few more good climbers and you're there. That's all the team AC needs.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Let me add a different take on this.

We all know this is Vino's team and AC will not be the undisputed leader if there's anyway Vino can get into the tour. Remember when he attacked his own team during his last year at T-Mobile?

We all, including the Astana mgt, know that AC is/will be unhappy next year on Astana. By claiming to expect AC to honor the contract, they've just up the price it will take to buy out the contract. They may be forced to give up a proven grand tour winner, but again, what does he do to the dynamics of the team if he doesn't want to be there? If they're going to lose him, they might as well get maximum value for him and they've just placed themselves back in control of the bargaining...

Just a thought.

e

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't know much about these guys contracts, but I don't think its over. AC should be able to free himself from these *******s.

ON THE other hand, without the Olsen twins (LA and JB) is AStana so bad for him? They seem to have a good budget...some horsepower...good doctors :D
A lot of the guysa re not really moving to LA's joke of a team.. But if he goes to Caisse...he could have some issues with Valverde..who knows..

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Wondered about dynamics as well if Valverde and Contador were on the same team. It's been written that Valverde would happily ride for Contador, but I'm not so sure that would be the case. If it were, that's some serious power on the steeps.

hillytn said:
Wondered about dynamics as well if Valverde and Contador were on the same team. It's been written that Valverde would happily ride for Contador, but I'm not so sure that would be the case. If it were, that's some serious power on the steeps.

They were fine in the dauphine this year - worked well for each other :)

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I see that press release as a marketing campaign to get the maximum possible buyout of his contract, nothing more, nothing less.

Nah, can´t see how Valverde would enjoy himself of driving for another. In his head he is obviously a GT-pretender given his claim for this years Vuelta, and IF he wins then the idea of driving for AC is like...?

And what Astana concerns. Let´s wait and see the final lineup. It can´t possibly be more worse then the gathering of senior citizens lining up with Armstrong.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Bruyneel sticking the knife in.
Lance twisting it.
Got the kid by the balls. What will he do next.

Unless the management company that Bruyneel/Armstrong own owns Contador's contract, Brunyeel and Amrstrong dont have diddly to do with how Astana deals with the Alberto.

Unless of course the acrimony between Astana and Brunyeel/Armstrong is just a ruse to cover a grand conspiricy to "get" Alberto...

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Given the trouble that Bruyneel and the riders had this year in getting money out of Astana to keep the team floating, I would think AC could use that to get out of his contract, with the help of a good lawyer.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
horseman said:
Given the trouble that Bruyneel and the riders had this year in getting money out of Astana to keep the team floating, I would think AC could use that to get out of his contract, with the help of a good lawyer.
True, got to feel sorry for the lad. The team is going to change some dramatically next year, he will be a completely different one to the one he signed a 3 yr contract with.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
He could simply refuse to ride for them, putting a lot of pressure on them to negotiate a buyout when another team with deep pockets comes calling. It's happened several times before.
It disgust me when I see people doing this, both in cycling and in other sports. A contract is a legally-binding document, and by signing it Contador agreed to riding races for Astana, so he now has to do that.

If one cannot keep his work with respect to a contract, then what is a contract worth?

TRENDING THREADS