• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana Truck Searched For 3 Hours At Swiss Border!!! And they found...

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't the "users use" (LOL) anonymous motorcycles with panniers (I think that's what Floyd said vis Discovery, at least as reported in the Vaughters/Andreu conversation). Would be kinda dumb to use a marked vehicle, maybe.

Not baiting you, just FYI, as far as I remember.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Don't the "users use" (LOL) anonymous motorcycles with panniers (I think that's what Floyd said vis Discovery, at least as reported in the Vaughters/Andreu conversation). Would be kinda dumb to use a marked vehicle, maybe.

Not baiting you, just FYI, as far as I remember.

Vaughters/Andreu spoke of insulated paniers (for blood transport). But yeah, why would you carry your stash in your team truck?

Newsflash: Bruyneel's pockets searched at border. Nothing found.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
News Flash,

Armstrong's urine from the 99 Tour Searched.....guess what they found? EPO.

Does anyone really think that any team would have dope in a team car? The last time that happened was when Jeff Spencer, Lance's Chiropractor, was caught dumping bags of doping during the 2001 Tour. The Hog has learned since then.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,
I would LMAO if anything was ever found on any team bus, just because that would make for a really dumb team! I think such searches are more about optics than finding something.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Izoard said:
Hi all,
I would LMAO if anything was ever found on any team bus, just because that would make for a really dumb team! I think such searches are more about optics than finding something.

+1

Kennf1 said:
Vaughters/Andreu spoke of insulated paniers (for blood transport). But yeah, why would you carry your stash in your team truck?

Newsflash: Bruyneel's pockets searched at border. Nothing found.

Vaughters/Andreu also spoke about Ullrich and Moreau as if they were clean, though...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:
News Flash,

Armstrong's urine from the 99 Tour Searched.....guess what they found? EPO.

Does anyone really think that any team would have dope in a team car? The last time that happened was when Jeff Spencer, Lance's Chiropractor, was caught dumping bags of doping during the 2001 Tour. The Hog has learned since then.

You're full of crap. Didn't happen.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
An anonymous tip-off by a disgruntled rider/ex-team member? I would've thought that after the Festina search, teams would be smart enough to have any dope being transported by somebody with no ties to the team at all, travelling completely incognito. :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
In the minds of the haters, the evidence that JB and team are doping is that JB, his team and their vehicle have all been tested and found to be clean.

It's an easy way to live.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
In the minds of the haters, the evidence that JB and team are doping is that JB, his team and their vehicle have all been tested and found to be clean.

It's an easy way to live.

Actually, it is more the fact that almost everyone on his team have either been caught doping or have been implicated with doping scandals (Operacion Puerto, Dr Ferrari etc.)

Alex - I would have expected something a little better from someone who has such a cool name from such a talented rider. Doping is what it is, and you of all people should know that. If you want to say that it's lame to isolate Astana, then you're right. But don't come on here can call people losers. Here's a cool avatar, hopefully you'll use it, and get with the program:

images

As to the Ullrich "clean" comment, I addressed this more than once. It was KL's reflection on what he saw at T-Mob. When he got there he was expecting systematic doping, and instead saw nothing, and tests showing Jan with a low hct at one point. That doesn't mean that they were clean in my eyes. It means they were cleaner than at other times, and as history has now shown, very discrete and select about their doping, and KL wasn't part of that group.

Moreau may well have been fairly clean during that time frame as well. After all, he'd been burned pretty bad in the past.

No idiot would put drugs on a team bus. Willy Voet was stopped at the Belgium-France border in his own car.

A

Anonymous

I will tell you what would be interesting. Train a dog for the scent of performance enhancing drugs, transfusion equipment (yes, a dog could be trained to fined even that), etc, and then lock all the exits at the team hotel and let the dog go wherever he wanted. Who was it several years ago that jumped out of a window during a hotel raid? Well, he would have lots of company for that stunt should it happen.

Thoughtforfood said:
I will tell you what would be interesting. Train a dog for the scent of performance enhancing drugs, transfusion equipment (yes, a dog could be trained to fined even that), etc, and then lock all the exits at the team hotel and let the dog go wherever he wanted. Who was it several years ago that jumped out of a window during a hotel raid? Well, he would have lots of company for that stunt should it happen.

I think the guy who jumped out the window was Giuseppe Di Grande, it happened during the Giro police raid of either 01/02, cannot remember which, both were dope plagued races.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Maybe JB tipped off the swiss boarder so that they would be occupied searching the Astana truck while the unmarked motorbikes about 15 cars back carried full kits of blood bags and vials of various drugs. That sounds pretty likely ;)

Sheltowee said:
You're full of crap. Didn't happen.

It absolutely did happen. Check your facts first.

In 2000 Tour de France Hugues Huet, from French TV station, followed a car belonging to Postal team doctor Luis Del Moral and the team's chiropractor, Jeff Spencer. They dumped their trash bags at a roadside bin near the town of Sallanches. The bags were discovered and found to contain: 160 used syringes, blood soaked compresses, used IV equipment and Activogen.

And to the original poster, if you honestly think teams still bring their doping products in official team trucks, if they have any, you are seriously naive.

Raimondas Rumsas, third in 2002 Tour. Wife locked up for carrying 'huge amounts' of drugs in her own car. This is just one example.

Digger said:
And to the original poster, if you honestly think teams still bring their doping products in official team trucks, if they have any, you are seriously naive.

Raimondas Rumsas, third in 2002 Tour. Wife locked up for carrying 'huge amounts' of drugs in her own car. This is just one example.

Agree, if this is some sort of defense that a team does not dope, it is rather pathetic, like the "he never tested positive" argument.

Ivan Gotti, his family were caught carrying his products around in a camper van and wasnt the wife of Dario Frigo also caught carrying doping products for her husband.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Train a dog for the scent of performance enhancing drugs, transfusion equipment (yes, a dog could be trained to fined even that), etc, and then lock all the exits at the team hotel and let the dog go wherever he wanted.

Now there's an idea. Could start with that giant St. Bernard on the podium on the Verbier stage, LOL. Then work down to Cadel's dog, etc.:) Dogs can find just about anything, agreed. AFLD should get onto this; they seem innovative and persistent enough.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
+ 1 on the Dogs. Heck get those Hogs who scent out truffles, bloodhounds, anything!!

As for using the team car, seems as sophisticated as the OP's thought processes.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Marcus Eibegger
Salzburg worlds (u23)

if I recall correctly

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
what ever happened to the 15 riders and the bio passport. That story seemed to go no where and I am surprised there hasn't been any doping scandals during this tour either.

Having been passed by a family on a mountain riding back home with their shopping and also seeing all the sportive riders i'm sure you can ride the tour stages clean. Whether you can do that day after day without the doping i'm not sure. I want to believe they are all clean though

Just reading up on the Actovegin incident

http://www.active.com/cycling/Artic...aks_three_ribs_____World_cycling_rankings.htm

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/1462