• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

At what point do you turn off the TV and give up on the Tour?

About now methinks. Doesn't matter who you support in this race it's just plain boring.

I honestly can't think of more than 3 highlights the entire race.

Sad really.

Probably doesn't help having a super powerful team but the leaders are fairly beige.

I gave up on Friday but turned off the TV today before the stage completed.

Don't you watch cycling to see what each day may provide? I mean certain days you can look at the route and know what to expect, but if you watch you do it with the full knowledge that it may be boring.

Frankly I couldn't care if the GC leader had half an hour. I watch in anticipation (hope) of great racing on a daily basis, as futile as that may be.

False tension doesn't excite me at all, just race, race.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I believe that the reason that stages are intentionally neutered like today's may be in order to give chance to French riders to win stages from escapes

Bill Murray

BANNED
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
We wouldn't go to the website of the sport that you're interested in and call it boring. Please don't do the same to ours.

All cycling races can be boring at time, especially if you watch the entire stage. But there are always things that the true fan takes an interest in and gets something from it. We're not asking you to understand this or watch it. Just leave us alone.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
It's pure arrogance! Arrogance I tell you.

By arrogance you mean an approach going like: We're the TdF, we're the best whatever we do, we don't care about any competition, we could design all stages flat had we wanted to as long as the towns with finish line pay the money?

Bill Murray said:
We wouldn't go to the website of the sport that you're interested in and call it boring. Please don't do the same to ours.

All cycling races can be boring at time, especially if you watch the entire stage. But there are always things that the true fan takes an interest in and gets something from it. We're not asking you to understand this or watch it. Just leave us alone.

Dude being a real fan means getting indignant over how they can dare hand us over this sh!t. It's like being taken for an a$$!

Real fans know when a course will be exciting and interesting to watch and when it will be an agonizing bore. I've watched for almost 30 years and the French race seems to get worse every year.

Bill Murray said:

hog has nearly 6,000 posts. Rhubroma has over 3,000. I have over 9,000. I think it's fair to say that we wouldn't spend all that time posting on cycling forums if we didn't enjoy the sport. It's not that I've sought out this website to tell cycling fans that the sport is boring, because it's not. It's not because I don't understand the sport that I'm finding this race boring, because I do. It's that I've seen a lot of good races in the time I've been following the sport, and this is none of them.

I didn't watch any of the Tour until stage 5, and haven't watched any since La Toussuire.

I'm watching the Tour de Pologne as we speak though.

Gregory said:
By arrogance you mean an approach going like: We're the TdF, we're the best whatever we do, we don't care about any competition, we could design all stages flat had we wanted to as long as the towns with finish line pay the money?

Precisely and I would also add: "We're the Tour and as such are naturally above taking cues from the other grand tours." (Whose par cours are, though, infinitely more interesting to watch, as has been noted for years by a growing number of critics.)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
About now methinks. Doesn't matter who you support in this race it's just plain boring.

Sad really.

Probably doesn't help having a super powerful team but the leaders are fairly beige.

I didnt totaly give up yet.. I do think its been a bad tour, but what worries me the most is SKY's dominance and the fact there is no real MR with proper burst this year...

I guess I will force myself to watch the tour this year, but if its the same weird domination next year, I will give up very fast :)

Libertine Seguros said:
hog has nearly 6,000 posts. Rhubroma has over 3,000. I have over 9,000. I think it's fair to say that we wouldn't spend all that time posting on cycling forums if we didn't enjoy the sport. It's not that I've sought out this website to tell cycling fans that the sport is boring, because it's not. It's not because I don't understand the sport that I'm finding this race boring, because I do. It's that I've seen a lot of good races in the time I've been following the sport, and this is none of them.

I didn't watch any of the Tour until stage 5, and haven't watched any since La Toussuire.

In all 18.000 posts and I'm yet to see a positive one after a stage... ;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Like an old girlfriend.... I just help going back.

No I actually have now turned off.... plan to make much better use of my day!
I stopped watching a begining of last week days ago but record each stage. Then after checking the results and twitter see if anything interesting has happened. Its been a case of watching Fabian win on first day, and last few kms of Greipel/Sagan win. Otherwise, everyday has been the same so hit the delete button. All the newspaper articles are the same, as if they are written by the same one or two people - A Fotheringham or W Fotheringham perhaps, so stopped reading now.

Its a great pity because last year the race was entertaining all the way through.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Yes but 99% of Rhubroma postings are in politics...not cycling...but I do take your point. I have found this race boring as well...

I watch the live stream on Euro Sport because my TV coverage has Phil & Paul commentating. I generally minimize the video and listen to the commentary while surfing the net, and only bother to watch if something interesting is happening which is very seldom in this Tour.
I will watch stage 16 & 17 hoping for some excitement, but I'm extremely pessimistic.

Poland is much better, only thing is I don't understand the commentary.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Sad really.

I only watch the 'highlights' (1/2-15min) of each stage.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Well if the weather is nice I am not going to sit inside and watch Bradley Wiggins and his dubious train sprint up the Alpes.

History is repeating in a depressing way. But we are not supposed to notice, or else our hero will berate us in a language that will not pass CN profanity filter.

TRENDING THREADS