• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

At what point does placing in a GT become irrelevant?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I can't believe he bossed Nibali here. My respect went into the cellar.

Wasn't it obvious it was better for both of them? Nibali wasn't gonna take time on Sky, and Valverde would have zero chance of winning the stage if Nibali stayed there. It was an agreement, not some bossing around.

Pentacycle said:
Wasn't it obvious it was better for both of them? Nibali wasn't gonna take time on Sky, and Valverde would have zero chance of winning the stage if Nibali stayed there. It was an agreement, not some bossing around.

Imagine Voeckler in this situation. Sorry, no I see weakness in the Sicilian. He is still youngish, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Parrulo said:
understanding opinion from the biggest fan of one of best riders of all time at getting top 10 places in GT's but never winning.

And he's only got three of those :eek:

With Kloden, people may remember is 2010 Tour, when he lost major time even before the high mountains (cracked badly in medium mountain stage) and ended up 14th overall. Late in that edition he got in a breakaway on the stage to Mende. The group was 16 strong, but with some stragglers on it he broke it up into a foursome. Despite working well together the group was caught soon after the start of the climb (except for Vino who almost held on to win), and Klodi ended up 2nd best from the breakaway and about 10th on the stage. Now if he had won that stage it would have been great, but I wouldn't have rated his Tour as better than his '09 one when he placed 6th overall.

As for last year, I thought his 11th placing was pretty good for a 37 year old, but I have no idea whether the result meant much of anything to Andreas himself. Maybe for him it is top 10 or a little worthless.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:

Exactly. Gentleman's agreement.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
And he's only got three of those :eek:

With Kloden, people may remember is 2010 Tour, when he lost major time even before the high mountains (cracked badly in medium mountain stage) and ended up 14th overall. Late in that edition he got in a breakaway on the stage to Mende. The group was 16 strong, but with some stragglers on it he broke it up into a foursome. Despite working well together the group was caught soon after the start of the climb (except for Vino who almost held on to win), and Klodi ended up 2nd best from the breakaway and about 10th on the stage. Now if he had won that stage it would have been great, but I wouldn't have rated his Tour as better than his '09 one when he placed 6th overall.

As for last year, I thought his 11th placing was pretty good for a 37 year old, but I have no idea whether the result meant much of anything to Andreas himself. Maybe for him it is top 10 or a little worthless.

When does.kloden's current contract end? I dont think he cares much about cycling anymore

Pentacycle said:

Exactly. It's not like what happened was a rare occurrence. Whether breaks succeed or fail often depends on how dangerous the members of the break are. With Nibali there the break had absolutely no chance of succeeding.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
I´d say, important are:

Giro: Top15
Tour: Top20
Vuelta: Top10

So who was 15th in the Giro, or 18th in the Tour?

95% of the time no-one cares. If you're an up-and-coming GC rider and it's your first high GT placing, fine. But if you've scrounged 16th at the Tour by being completely anonymous year after year...I mean the perfect example is Roche. Did we even see him on TV as he carefully racked up his 14th on GC at the Tour year on year?

TRENDING THREADS