• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Athelete of the decade

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BYOP88 said:
You're correct it's not worth noting. Armstrong isn't even the best cyclist of the decade. As for athlete of the decade maybe Roger Federer 15 Grand Slams since 03(plus countless other tournaments too) or Serena Williams 10 Grand Slams this decade are more worthy of the award than you know who.

Who's better? Only one I could try to make an argument for is Bettini, but even then I think Lance takes it.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Who's better? Only one I could try to make an argument for is Bettini, but even then I think Lance takes it.

Lance is probably tops this decade, but it's not by a clear margin like someone like Woods or Fedderer is in some of the other sports.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
You're correct it's not worth noting. Armstrong isn't even the best cyclist of the decade. As for athlete of the decade maybe Roger Federer 15 Grand Slams since 03(plus countless other tournaments too) or Serena Williams 10 Grand Slams this decade are more worthy of the award than you know who.

I think I'll change my nomination with you. Also add in Motocross racers in general. I tried it out in my early 20's and a 45 minute moto is tougher than cyclo-cross. The fact that 14 year-old kids used me as a berm in the corners convinced me to do something safer.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
And to give more fuel to fire...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34511104/ns/sports-motor_sports/

Jimmy Johnson named athlete of the year.

Doesn't bother me but I'm sure some here will go apoplectic. But hey, I actually like NASCAR. Nice to see racing where cars actually pass each other and bump and grind their way around the track.

I've actually watched and appreciated some good racing. These guys take an occasional beating. It's sure to make purists freak.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Yes, incredible athlete. I tend to think had it not been for the World Cup debacle where he lost his cool (though blatantly provoked) he may have won that WC as well, and gotten the pick.

Completely agree. The last game of his WC career tainted his legacy.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:

you're not greg lemond are you ? I don't think there are any other pros who are qualified that would pooh-pooh saint lance's palmares

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
you're not greg lemond are you ? I don't think there are any other pros who are qualified that would pooh-pooh saint lance's palmares

No I'm not Greg Lemond. So this decade Lance won 6 TdF's, opposed to Federer's 15 Slams. Plus there are other athletes who have achieved the equivalent of Lance's achievements in their sport if not bettered Lance's feat. Lets not forget there are more races than just the Tour, the cycling season isn't just the month of July as some people would have you believe.

BYOP88 said:
No I'm not Greg Lemond. So this decade Lance won 6 TdF's, opposed to Federer's 15 Slams. Plus there are other athletes who have achieved the equivalent of Lance's achievements in their sport if not bettered Lance's feat. Lets not forget there are more races than just the Tour, the cycling season isn't just the month of July as some people would have you believe.

It's not like Federer has just won the same Grand Slam over and over. Roger completed a career slam in 2009 by winning at Roland Garros to go with the shed load of Aus, Wimbledon, US and Masters titles.

It's the equivalent of a GC rider throughout their career winning 10 GTs and at least one of each, plus all the major week long stage races. Or a one day rider taking each of the monuments and plenty of other classics.

For perspective, we're talking about Lance Armstrong. 6 TdF wins and a couple of stage races. It's almost the equivalent of Nadal 18 months ago. Nadal has been the world's best clay court player for 6 years, Lance was the world's best TdF rider for 6 years.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:

I was being facetious. I have no idea who Federer is. I am aware of the "cycling season"; but people only remember the ones who won the TdF multiple times; not a lot know who Tony Rominger is or was, or, I can pull a thousand other names out of a hat, people who raced and won all year, and most people, even those who follow the sport will just say " huh ?" if I mention any of those other names. We now have red neck yahoos in pickup trucks hurling epithets along with the name Lance Armstrong at cyclists on the road-quite an accomplishment in publicity for an obscure sport in North America.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
:eek: are you winding us up?

so much wrong here

you need to add a few "imo's" all over the place there. i have never heard of anyone claiming henry has improved since he went to barca, he's declined, that's a fact and he even says so himself.

messi only turning up against small la liga clubs? wtf? exibit a, he scored in the champions league final, has numerous goals vs real madrid etc. henry and ribery the two most dynamic players? :eek:

Where did I say Henry improved? He spent the best part of his last season at Arsenal injured and on the bench. However he is top of the Castrol ranking because he is the consistent. Plus his support is consistent. Messi, Argentina. Yawn. If scoring in a final, your team only made because of an officials stuff up, is the category, then Messi wins hands down. Regardless of how much you love the beautiful game, of which the greatest exponents are deemed to be Barca, Hiddink and Chelsea had their number. Average goals last season for Barca. 3 per game. Average EPL teams to make the Champions League Quarters. All four. Barca were paraded around as the Champions before the Champions League semis were finished. With such an attack oriented approach, they only scored in injury time against Chelsea. Lame! When they stuffed up and could not score the hierarchy, whom are dirtier than the UCI, made sure they made the final (Chelsea were robbed and Drogba rightfully let the world know). 3 English teams in the semis. Three! One Spanish team and no Italian teams. I rest my case.

Barca versus Real. Did you see the 6-2 drumming Real were given a few months back. 250 million Euros spent during the summer and they still get thumped. The crux of your point is lacking. Messi is overrated and so are Barca. Yes they are good, but not clear world beaters. Any of the top six EPL teams could potentially win the La Liga. As for Frank Ribery...explain to me why Real bought every player they wanted, except Ribery. He was first on the list. Ahead of Kaka, Ronaldo and Alonso. A must buy to replace Arjen Robben. Alas, the Krauts are still holding onto him. Wise move. He'll be worth even more after the World Cup next year. Kaka and Ronaldo, well they overpaid. No player is worth what they are. No player (though they are the two I would make an argument for).

Richwagmn, I wish I was on smack when I came up with my definitions for athletics and sport. Alpe addressed everything I did not about golf. Not a sport. Time trialling in cycling is not fair when the weather changes (rain and hail). Ask Cancellara or Rasmussen how that happens in the Tour. Wind changes, unless gale force, are minimal and addressable in cycling. In golf, a slight breeze can reek havoc. Maybe you should not take everything I write to its literal definition.

To those knocking MotoGP and F1. Yes F1 drivers are not fit in this day and age! Haha. I mean why was it that Schumacher could not replace Massa? His neck was not strong enough. F1 drivers are exceptionally fit and toned. G-forces reach 4 to 5 times gravity under heavy breaking. Add in quick reflex responses and personal fitness needs to be acute. Drivers hop out of cars sweating profusely. Anyone remember Hakkinen compared to Schumacher? One was bathing in sweat, the other looked fresh after a race. That is down to fitness. Motorbike riders have more balls than any other sportsmen, except base jumpers and freestyle moto riders. If you need an explanation, go and hope on a motorbike and flog the $h!t out of it. You'll understand quickly.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Where did I say Henry improved? He spent the best part of his last season at Arsenal injured and on the bench. However he is top of the Castrol ranking because he is the consistent. Plus his support is consistent. Messi, Argentina. Yawn. If scoring in a final, your team only made because of an officials stuff up, is the category, then Messi wins hands down. Regardless of how much you love the beautiful game, of which the greatest exponents are deemed to be Barca, Hiddink and Chelsea had their number. Average goals last season for Barca. 3 per game. Average EPL teams to make the Champions League Quarters. All four. Barca were paraded around as the Champions before the Champions League semis were finished. With such an attack oriented approach, they only scored in injury time against Chelsea. Lame! When they stuffed up and could not score the hierarchy, whom are dirtier than the UCI, made sure they made the final (Chelsea were robbed and Drogba rightfully let the world know). 3 English teams in the semis. Three! One Spanish team and no Italian teams. I rest my case.

Barca versus Real. Did you see the 6-2 drumming Real were given a few months back. 250 million Euros spent during the summer and they still get thumped. The crux of your point is lacking. Messi is overrated and so are Barca. Yes they are good, but not clear world beaters. Any of the top six EPL teams could potentially win the La Liga. As for Frank Ribery...explain to me why Real bought every player they wanted, except Ribery. He was first on the list. Ahead of Kaka, Ronaldo and Alonso. A must buy to replace Arjen Robben. Alas, the Krauts are still holding onto him. Wise move. He'll be worth even more after the World Cup next year. Kaka and Ronaldo, well they overpaid. No player is worth what they are. No player (though they are the two I would make an argument for).

Richwagmn, I wish I was on smack when I came up with my definitions for athletics and sport. Alpe addressed everything I did not about golf. Not a sport. Time trialling in cycling is not fair when the weather changes (rain and hail). Ask Cancellara or Rasmussen how that happens in the Tour. Wind changes, unless gale force, are minimal and addressable in cycling. In golf, a slight breeze can reek havoc. Maybe you should not take everything I write to its literal definition.

To those knocking MotoGP and F1. Yes F1 drivers are not fit in this day and age! Haha. I mean why was it that Schumacher could not replace Massa? His neck was not strong enough. F1 drivers are exceptionally fit and toned. G-forces reach 4 to 5 times gravity under heavy breaking. Add in quick reflex responses and personal fitness needs to be acute. Drivers hop out of cars sweating profusely. Anyone remember Hakkinen compared to Schumacher? One was bathing in sweat, the other looked fresh after a race. That is down to fitness. Motorbike riders have more balls than any other sportsmen, except base jumpers and freestyle moto riders. If you need an explanation, go and hope on a motorbike and flog the $h!t out of it. You'll understand quickly.

you're funny.

not world beaters? was it not only last week they won the club world cup? :rolleyes:

'could only score in injury time. lame' jesus h. christ. what a statement, i can't even find the words.

'epl' ??? what are you, yank?

'ribery no. 1 real madrid target' wtf. you deluded strange man. now that is called making things up to suit your own opinions :D

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I have participated in a number of sports, as I'm sure others on this forum have. You can be really fit in one sport and really out of shape for another. It's impossible to compare all of these athletes, endurance athletes, skill based athletes (like drivers and golfers), team sports, action sports and combative. Apples and oranges really, all good but you may prefer one more then another one.

I'll mention some names that I would say are great athletes, Chris Sharma (rock climbing), Kelly Slater (9 times world champ! surfing) , Arron Hadlow (5 time Kite surfing world champ) and others that have dominated there sport for the last ten years.

We could argue who was the best cyclist in the last ten years, but to compare them to other athletes... not really possible in my opinion.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
St. Elia said:
I have participated in a number of sports, as I'm sure others on this forum have. You can be really fit in one sport and really out of shape for another. It's impossible to compare all of these athletes, endurance athletes, skill based athletes (like drivers and golfers), team sports, action sports and combative. Apples and oranges really, all good but you may prefer one more then another one.

I'll mention some names that I would say are great athletes, Chris Sharma (rock climbing), Kelly Slater (9 times world champ! surfing) , Arron Hadlow (5 time Kite surfing world champ) and others that have dominated there sport for the last ten years.

We could argue who was the best cyclist in the last ten years, but to compare them to other athletes... not really possible in my opinion.

That is the best observation. Hopefully it sets the tone for the New Year. Especially, and I want all you cyclist to note this: our sport is conducted in the fayest of kits with the greatest amount of "floppers" and whiners. You can then move to the honesty of performance. I still say Serena Williams can kick all their butts in a dark room without breaking a sweat. Michael Schumacher would then drive her to the nightclub.