• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Audible alert on rear Dura-Ace mech

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
I've notice in the last few weeks, the rear gear change occasionally not responding to a gear change "click". Last Sunday a clicking sound developed from the rear mech when clicking a gear change but no change was taking place. Then today I lost my rear gear change all together and was getting a louder audible alarm when pressing the rear gear shift. The alarm came on when I clicked to change up and switched off when I clicked to change down.

Any experience of this/ideas? I’ve had the battery on charge extensively but suspect it may not be charging properly. Would a low battery charge cause an alarm from the rear mech? The front mech was OK but that one is playing up similarly now as well.

Interesting. Thanks. How do I get it out of that mode if that is the issue? Martyn
Here's a video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUkKqNN7HVI

The important part is that you spin the cranks while holding the button down (really they should have noted that first in the video) as it'll automatically cycle through the gears. I'm also unsure if this correlates with the FD causing you problems, but I think it's worth a check.

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I tried the Shimano user guides also without success. Anyway, my man tested the battery this morning by plugging in a replacement unit and it worked perfectly so its not a battery issue. We looked at sending the mech back to Madison but they said it would be at least a week before they could look at it and even if they fixed it it wouldn't have a warranty. So, decided to bite bullet and replace it. They are hard to comedy at the moment but w've found one so will be fitted in next couple of days hopefully. The old one is coming up for six years old so I guess it hasn't done that badly.

TRENDING THREADS