• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aussie Champion Phil Anderson says cycling is "full of drugs"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
I think that's a good plan. I would also recommend lacrosse for a sport that one can play in college with little to no pro opportunities. Regarding the kids, I raced the Santa Cruz crit early this past summer in the Elite 3's and saw a very young Junior who was strong enough to race in our field get shouldered into a curb by some jag-off, crash and break his collar bone. The kid was probably 16ish and about 95 pounds and he for some reason had run afoul of some hopped-up mid-20's crit thug who was willing to give it all for his $20.00 podium pay-out.

I will not let my kids race on the road, that is for sure. Maybe I'll let them race CX or MTB, definitely not the road though.

Anyway, on point to Anderson: he was Armstrong's mentor back when they were both on Motorola during the tragic Fabio Casartelli Tour. '97 I think it was or maybe '96. Anderson is the guy who said back then that Armstrong would never win a Tour after shepherding him over the mountains off the back of the autobus. Said Lance couldn't TT or climb but would make a good stage hunter. Pretty interesting that Phil now says good things will come of the Armstrong investigation long term. I kind of have my doubts. I thought good things would come of the Festina affair but here are we are doing the same thing 12 years later.

The thugs shouldn't mess with the kid like that,but when LeMond raced here, 15 years old after 1 lap he was gone,solo, broken away. In a short while he would lap the field, against cat 1 riders the best in our area. I have seen that in the old days, guys like LeMond, Howard Neel Mount, breakaway in a crit lap the field and then do it again and again, undoped.

Different kids develop at different ages and then there are genetic specimens like Greg.

JMBeaushrimp said:
'Cause there's no dopping in any other dicipline in cycling other than road?

Or to avoid the d*ckheads in the crit scene?

Doping in cycling is now so endemic that you can't pick a good apple out of the rotten barrel. I noticed you didn't mention track... Sad news. Good luck with your kids...

No, of course there is doping involved with other disciplines of cycling, in my own experience it's not as big of a problem on the mountain bike scene however not to mention there are fewer of the aggro thugs that frequent the crit scene. I don't have any experience with track racing whatsoever.

Thanks so much for your good luck wishes however I try not to rely on luck.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Anyway, on point to Anderson: he was Armstrong's mentor back when they were both on Motorola during the tragic Fabio Casartelli Tour. '97 I think it was or maybe '96.

Casartelli died on the 1995 Tour
Armstrong didn't do the 1997 Tour
Anderson retired in 1994

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Anyway, on point to Anderson: he was Armstrong's mentor back when they were both on Motorola during the tragic Fabio Casartelli Tour. '97 I think it was or maybe '96. Anderson is the guy who said back then that Armstrong would never win a Tour after shepherding him over the mountains off the back of the autobus. Said Lance couldn't TT or climb but would make a good stage hunter. Pretty interesting that Phil now says good things will come of the Armstrong investigation long term. I kind of have my doubts. I thought good things would come of the Festina affair but here are we are doing the same thing 12 years later.
Anderson was on Motorola for the first couple of years of Armstrong's career. He retired at the end of the 94 season, which begs the question - was there more to it than age? Having read about the kicking the Motorola riders were getting up to 94/95 I wonder if part of the reason he quit was that he wanted no part in the path they went down in 95/96. IIRC that was when Armstrong turned up looking like a linebacker according to Kevin Livingston.

Intriguingly, I can't recall seeing Anderson & Armstrong together really after he retired.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
No, of course there is doping involved with other disciplines of cycling, in my own experience it's not as big of a problem on the mountain bike scene however not to mention there are fewer of the aggro thugs that frequent the crit scene. I don't have any experience with track racing whatsoever.

Thanks so much for your good luck wishes however I try not to rely on luck.

I can't think of one cycling dicipline being better than any other, in terms of doping.

The common denominator? Apart from being on two wheels, I'm going to have to (yet again) bad-mouth the UCI. THEY are the problem by virtue of their approach to 'manage' the problem (biopass, bureaucratic omerta, etc).

I have to admit that I have the same internal battles that you are going through. I'm from a cycling family with a lot of international goods over a few generations. Now I have kids. What to do?

With the level of cynicism I have right now, I can't really see any sport being cleaner than another. I can't really think of a 'clean sport' to guide them towards. The only thing that I can think of is to gently prod them into something that requires more skill than good blood.

Maybe darts or lawn-bowling, although I'm sure they're jacked as well...

Stupid humans. We can't win.

Mambo95 said:
Anderson retired in 1994

Thanks for firming up those dates for me Google pro! I knew you were good for something around here Mambo even though most of your posts appear to be quite useless upon first glance.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Thanks for firming up those dates for me Google pro! I knew you were good for something around here Mambo even though most of your posts appear to be quite useless upon first glance.
Was there any need for that?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
link? Couldn't find anything googling it bar your post!

Apologies, but I confused Anderson with Mike King in my memory of yesterday's reading material. Anderson only failed the "toilet test" by getting some sweet lovin instead of showing up for his test. King was positive for ephedrine.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s.com/+phil+anderson&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's always fun to read Les Earnest's memoirs, as he always saw himself as some pious figure within the organization. But I have to give him credit, at least he wrote it all down for future generations. He still around on RBR?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Anderson retired in 1994

Armstrong rode the Tour in 1993.
Anderson rode the Tour in 1993.

Anderson & Armstrong finished side by side in 96th & 97th on the stage to Isola 2000, 28'47 down on the stage winner Rominger.

Armstrong did not start the next stage.
Anderson said that Armstrong could not time trial or climb, two things you need to be able to do to win a Tour.

Dr. Maserati said:
Armstrong rode the Tour in 1993.
Anderson rode the Tour in 1993.

Anderson & Armstrong finished side by side in 96th & 97th on the stage to Isola 2000, 28'47 down on the stage winner Rominger.

Armstrong did not start the next stage.
Anderson said that Armstrong could not time trial or climb, two things you need to be able to do to win a Tour.

Anderson was also credited with the famous line:

"I knew something was wrong when I was getting passed by Italians with fat ar$es."

I've always wondered how Anderson went from challenging Hinault, Fignon, Kelly and LeMond at the Tour to having to focus on the classics and week long stage races...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Why have they got Andrew Gaze to comment about Cycling which he does not have a clue! Stop JUST POINTING the blame on Cycling you bunch od dumbarses.

Your streching a very long bow thehog.
Doran: "Is the perception of professional road cycling a sport riddled with drug cheats?"

PA: "If you said that to me twenty years ago then I would of said no"

So is anderson trying to convince us that cycling was clean back in the 90's? The guy is full of ****!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
So is anderson trying to convince us that cycling was clean back in the 90's? The guy is full of ****!

Wow, interesting reaction ACF. He actually said that he was less aware of it back then and that he agrees that drugs are right through the sport right now.

I would have thought you would be very happy to hear him being honest about the current situation.

Dettol

BANNED
Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Two things. The first is that he obviously wants to protect his legacy. The second it seems to me that in the 80s and 90s cyclists from outside continental Europe seemed less aware of doping in general.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
There is always a need for that type of treatment toward Omerta enforcers and Armstrong fanboys.

I didn't realise that I was either to be honest. So thinking Armstrong doped but not thinking he is the coming of the Antichrist, makes me a fanboy. Ok, if that makes you happy.

And you're really giving me far too much credit if you think I can enforce the alleged 'omerta'. I'm just a British civil servant.

What does an ex-pro who retired 16 freakin' years ago know about the level of doping in cycling right now?

Nothing, that's what.

If he's leading cycling tours around France and Spain (and those tours are quite expensive) he should have enough money to get a tooth implant, wouldn't you say? That missing tooth is extremely unsightly, and unprofessional seeing as Anderson makes his living chating people up on those bike tours.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
I thought that was a Lucho Herrera line

I'm sure alot of old school boys thought that when 40 riders they'd never heard of beat them to the top of of tough stage. Omerta protected a laundry list of stimulants and minor league steriods (by today's standards) that all the pros used to fulfill their team/sponsor obligations. While some gained results from those programs, the widespread practices were probably pretty primitive.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
philanderson.jpg

auscyclefan94 said:
Why have they got Andrew Gaze to comment about Cycling which he does not have a clue! Stop JUST POINTING the blame on Cycling you bunch od dumbarses.

Your streching a very long bow thehog.
Doran: "Is the perception of professional road cycling a sport riddled with drug cheats?"

PA: "If you said that to me twenty years ago then I would of said no"

I think he was just saying doping wasnt exposed by the media back in those days.

Dettol said:
Two things. The first is that he obviously wants to protect his legacy. The second it seems to me that in the 80s and 90s cyclists from outside continental Europe seemed less aware of doping in general.
I didn't get that impression. He probably didn't mention his own drug taking (if he took drugs) because no-ones really interested, it being 20 years ago now.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
philanderson.jpg

I think he was just saying doping wasnt exposed by the media back in those days.

I didn't get that impression. He probably didn't mention his own drug taking (if he took drugs) because no-ones really interested, it being 20 years ago now.

If he admitted taking drugs he would need to return the prizes, no?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
What does an ex-pro who retired 16 freakin' years ago know about the level of doping in cycling right now?

Nothing, that's what.

Considering what I know from people that I know from back in the day, I'd be willing to bet that Anderson still has a lot of friends. Probably a lot more of them then us schmoes. Have you seen the FB friend lists of some ex-pros?

The guy still knows OCH, and you don't think more than a few English speaking pros have called upon him for advice from time to time?

TRENDING THREADS