• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aussie Riders in the Pro Peloton - Past, Present & Future

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great ride by Haig at F-W - not sure why Nibbles is getting so much praise when Haig was the main instigator of that group including earlier efforts to get away.

Also props for Ben O'Conner taking a good stage win at Tour of the Alps.

Re:

yaco said:
Haas needs to study the Tim Wellens playbook - Until 12 months ago, Wellens would unnecessarily waste energy in races, but has now learnt more race craft - Haas has the talent and just needs more race craft.
Agreed. All too often Haas attacks when he’s one of the strongest sprinters in a group but holds back when there’s stronger sprinters present. Hopefully he gets smarter soon. An underrated rider.

Power is a worry - He finds it hard to consistently back up day-to-day in stage races - MS is showing more confidence in his ability and have placed him in more WT races but consistency is an issue - I will look with interest for the rest of the year.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
Power is a worry - He finds it hard to consistently back up day-to-day in stage races - MS is showing more confidence in his ability and have placed him in more WT races but consistency is an issue - I will look with interest for the rest of the year.

Then let him focus on one-day races. Problem solved!

Which riders only ride one day races ?
Putting your focus on 1 day races =\= only racing 1 day races

A bit early to worry about his consistency.....he's basically only had one full year at WT level and is not quite 23. Let's see how he rolls in a few years after he gets a few GT's under his belt.

Haig is showing a lot more than Power now - but that's exactly what he's done.

Both massive talents, aren't they? Definitely the best two climbers that Australia has produced for quite some time......

Re:

The Hegelian said:
A bit early to worry about his consistency.....he's basically only had one full year at WT level and is not quite 23. Let's see how he rolls in a few years after he gets a few GT's under his belt.

Haig is showing a lot more than Power now - but that's exactly what he's done.

Both massive talents, aren't they? Definitely the best two climbers that Australia has produced for quite some time......

Power needs to improve his recovery if he wants to be riding at WT level in two years time - Trying to find out if he is contracted for 2019 - The biggest shame is that Power was the only rider in Lopez's class in the 2014 L'Avenir - Reckon Haig can one day win LBL.

Young talents can bloom at different times. I think the relevant comparison with Power is Chaves - when MS signed him, he'd showed extraordinary potential at L'avenir, and then it was basically an open question if he'd ride again, let alone be able to actualise that potential. In Power's case it wasn't a crash, but it was a pretty serious injury, and it's clearly held him back. If he was on my books, I'd keep him for at least another 3-4 years before giving up. Because you know there is a rare engine there. And you know, just like Chaves, that if things come together, you've got someone who can win big races. If not, worth the risk!

Re:

The Hegelian said:
Young talents can bloom at different times. I think the relevant comparison with Power is Chaves - when MS signed him, he'd showed extraordinary potential at L'avenir, and then it was basically an open question if he'd ride again, let alone be able to actualise that potential. In Power's case it wasn't a crash, but it was a pretty serious injury, and it's clearly held him back. If he was on my books, I'd keep him for at least another 3-4 years before giving up. Because you know there is a rare engine there. And you know, just like Chaves, that if things come together, you've got someone who can win big races. If not, worth the risk!

I have no idea what are the thoughts of Mitchelton Scott - Though do believe they will have a new sponsor on board in the next few months.

Whelan is an interesting story - He's in his second year as a semi-pro,paid his own way to ride in Flanders for the Australian under 23's which is partly funded by Gerry Ryan and somehow won Flanders in his first race day ever in Europe - Apparently will be doing likewise in June and July - Was always likely to to EF as Mitchelton Scott has signed Stannard a similar rider for 2019 - Howson had injuries since February, so has lack of continuity in training and racing - He is supposed to ride the TDF if he gets through Dauphine - My guess is he's no certainty to be at MS in 2019, as he's fallen down the pecking order of climbing domestiques - Kudos for Docker for getting through the Giro and being strong into the third week.

O,Connor only started cycling in his last year of high school - Went to conti level in Australia in 2015 and rode a limited schedule, then in 2016 transferred to one of the gun Conti teams in Australia being Avanti - Raced well in the National under 23's, then won the New Zealand Cycle Classic 2.2, went to Europe with the Aussie under 23 Development team and finished 3rd on GC at Savoie Mount Blanc - It was definitely a risk for DD to recruit O'Connor at such a young age but looks to be a successful move

Re:

yaco said:
O,Connor only started cycling in his last year of high school - Went to conti level in Australia in 2015 and rode a limited schedule, then in 2016 transferred to one of the gun Conti teams in Australia being Avanti - Raced well in the National under 23's, then won the New Zealand Cycle Classic 2.2, went to Europe with the Aussie under 23 Development team and finished 3rd on GC at Savoie Mount Blanc - It was definitely a risk for DD to recruit O'Connor at such a young age but looks to be a successful move
O’Connor didn’t even own a bike until he was almost 18, coming from Australian Rules Football and Cross Country running. Within 6 months he was beating Continental riders like Giacoppo in local TTs and within 12 months he was putting the hurt on Wes Sulzberger in a 100km 2 man break at the Tour of Tasmania. He didn’t really fit in at the U23 program so didn’t have all the hype that comes with it.

He also had most of his early results in Asian races with a podium at Taiwan and top 10 and a stage in Qinghai Lake rather than L’Avenir, Giro Bio and U23 classics.