• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aussies don't dope

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
HelmutRoole said:
Benotti69 said:
del1962 said:
Benotti69 said:
Gerrans was a big time defender of Lance.

Orica are as clean as Astana. Vino told me.

Do you have a link to him defending Armstrong?

Cant find the link yet, but clearly remember Gerrans defending Armstrong before Reason Decision. Think when he was on Sky!

In 2009 Gerrans spent time with Armstrong in Aspen Colorado after Gerrans rode the Giro.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/06/news/a-conversation-with-cervelos-simon-gerrans_93838

edit; Gerrans and Lance. Note yella wrist band on Gerrans

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/lance-armstrong-speaks-with-australian-simon-gerrans-during-news-photo/101643248
i remember this as well. Also remember Armstrong and Gerrans training together.
It was Gerrans, Armstrong, Leipheimer and Horner.

Without dope Gerrans would be struggling to hold wheels at Pro Conti level just like he was in the Commonwealth Bank Classic before he went to Europe. A chemical creation.

Nice guy though.

Gerrans is a doper.

He is also the guy who beat the greatest GT rider of our generation on San Luca at the 2009 Giro.

Scene of the infamous Froome zig zag :cool:

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
So, to continue the analysis, let's look for examples of a 'holier than thou' attitude in Australian sport. an attitude that says 'Australians do not cheat, and Australians suffer at the hands of foreign cheats'.

The obvious starting point would be the infamous rivaly between Brits and Aussies so I googled the term "cheating Poms" and got a few hours reading of newspaper and tv webpage headlines. Like this gem of a front page attacking a "smug pommy cheat"

article-2510922-19899E3D00000578-923_634x735.jpg

I'm not sure I've ever seen this kind of thing in any of the other countries I've lived in. I suspect it is perculiar to the Aussies. The Brits would regard it as 'undignified' and I think I'm with them on this.

Australians have delivered at the rugby world cup with pre-match whining about opposition teams in a way that looks so pre-planned as to be an actual strategy. Bob Dwyer was complaining about the Brit scrum (well, they would wouldn't they since prior to smashing the Poms last week the Aussies couldn't beat it) whilst at the same time breaking the rules with their own rolling mauls from lineout balls. Bob Dwyer has form for this, in the late 80's he called the British Lions the "dirtiest team in the history of rugby".

More of his crap in 2013 on the Lions tour in Australia, claiming illegal scrummaging, and ...and this really pissed me off.....blamed it on their New Zealand coach saying "it doesn't come as any surprise they're coached by a New Zealander because they play outside the laws of the game as every New Zealand side does."

Of course every side does. Except the pure-white Aussies, but let's ignore Jamess Slipper's yellow card for repeated rule breaking against Argentina ;)

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Bringing the thread back around to cycling, I'm minded of Cadel Evan's Tour win.

Why was Evans such a violent, angry man, slapping a journalist and head-butting a cameraman?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikzgWE3t0A)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpL6BA6PBQ)

Could it have been the pressure of knowing how he was really managing to beat the other riders?

Here he is backing up OGE success by saying cycling is 'the cleanest in years':

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/cycling-the-cleanest-in-years-says-cadel-evans-20140717-zu8o0.html

And saying that "My role in the sport, I've always felt, has been to set a good example"

Aussies don't cheat. Beacons of clean sport. ;)

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
How fitting of an Englishman to make this thread right after the Aussies ousted the Poms from the RWC, hey? ;)

There is no "holier than thou" attitude in Australian sport, at least no more than any other country. Certainly not among the people who follow sport closely enough to know that cheating exists on a broad scale. The media is the same in basically every western country.. largely because they're bound by what they can and cannot say without proof.

The cricketers are a bunch of scum-bags(mostly). The swimmers, especially in the past, were clearly doping. Same can be said for cyclists, both track and road. Now we even have full football teams under threat of sanction amid doping scandals(which have been rigorously reported on in the media).

Until it's proven, much like any other country, we'll largely turn a blind eye while we're winning. It's definitely not exclusive to Australia... you only need to check out discussion around Froome/Sky to realise this.

Re:

[quote="Cancelled"

There is no "holier than thou" attitude in Australian sport, at least no more than any other country. Certainly not among the people who follow sport closely enough to know that cheating exists on a broad scale. The media is the same in basically every western country.. largely because they're bound by what they can and cannot say without proof.[/quote]

Absolutely not. It's because they are in on it
"Bound by proof" is just a crappy excuse they hide behind. Proof did not stop them attacking makhloufi, Koch and quite a few others. Didn't care one ounce about proof then.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

The Hitch said:
Cancelled said:
There is no "holier than thou" attitude in Australian sport, at least no more than any other country. Certainly not among the people who follow sport closely enough to know that cheating exists on a broad scale. The media is the same in basically every western country.. largely because they're bound by what they can and cannot say without proof.

Absolutely not. It's because they are in on it
"Bound by proof" is just a crappy excuse they hide behind. Proof did not stop them attacking makhloufi, Koch and quite a few others. Didn't care one ounce about proof then.

there is a bit of holier than thou in the antipodes. see the massive doping scandal this year and how the convicts swept it right under the rug. it was worse than the 98 TdF which ushered in WADA. What happened this year for the convicts?

you asking me?

I am asking you, what happened to the convicts?

they merely got a new wall sized mural rug made by sweat shop labour in indonesia to sweep all the PED scatology beneath

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

HelmutRoole said:
Benotti69 said:
del1962 said:
Benotti69 said:
Gerrans was a big time defender of Lance.

Orica are as clean as Astana. Vino told me.

Do you have a link to him defending Armstrong?

Cant find the link yet, but clearly remember Gerrans defending Armstrong before Reason Decision. Think when he was on Sky!

In 2009 Gerrans spent time with Armstrong in Aspen Colorado after Gerrans rode the Giro.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/06/news/a-conversation-with-cervelos-simon-gerrans_93838

edit; Gerrans and Lance. Note yella wrist band on Gerrans

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/lance-armstrong-speaks-with-australian-simon-gerrans-during-news-photo/101643248
i remember this as well. Also remember Armstrong and Gerrans training together.

dont forget little levi leipheimer.he was also in vail. betsy told me they went for a meal at cache cache. her and tyler were not invited. it is rumoured haven was tho, this may or may not be apocryphal.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

42x16ss said:
It was Gerrans, Armstrong, Leipheimer and Horner.

Without dope Gerrans would be struggling to hold wheels at Pro Conti level just like he was in the Commonwealth Bank Classic before he went to Europe. A chemical creation.

Nice guy though.

wait a sec, gerro woulda been about 16 when the commonwealth bank was still running.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:
I suspect it is perculiar to the Aussies. The Brits would regard it as 'undignified' and I think I'm with them on this.

indeed, got it in one. prolly a bit of the small man syndrome too. the self-consciousness and inferiority syndrome pushback.

but you gotta blame murdoch for the tabloids, just like the red-tops on fleet street (mean, you gotta blame Murdoch too). ofcourse, we deserve a native blame tho.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:
Bringing the thread back around to cycling, I'm minded of Cadel Evan's Tour win.

Why was Evans such a violent, angry man, slapping a journalist and head-butting a cameraman?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikzgWE3t0A)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpL6BA6PBQ)

Could it have been the pressure of knowing how he was really managing to beat the other riders?

Here he is backing up OGE success by saying cycling is 'the cleanest in years':

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/cycling-the-cleanest-in-years-says-cadel-evans-20140717-zu8o0.html

And saying that "My role in the sport, I've always felt, has been to set a good example"

Aussies don't cheat. Beacons of clean sport. ;)

ask D-Queued about Evans dog and standing on it and threats to harm the reporters

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

blackcat said:
wendybnt said:
It's OK everybody, calm down. Looks like ASADA are on the case:

https://www.asada.gov.au/sanctions

No big names in there=no doping in top end Australian sport. Too scared of being caught. Good work ASADA. This is what anti-doping should look like.

lol thanks Wendy.

I can see the conflict now in the chez Wendy abode(pleonasmtautologyportmanteau) :D

Ha :D

You've sussed me. Sooner or later he'll see the thread.

Can't wait. ;)

roundabout said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Shame that podium is only 3 people, the 4th place guy would be quite relevant to this discussion

Ah!!!! Freakin Teflon Mick Rogers, still don't get how people I speak to think he is/was clean :rolleyes:
Same goes for well basically most Aus riders during our "golden era" from the mid nighties onwards (not discounting earlier riders).
Our big sports are hilarious with the whole bigger and faster thanks to better, smarter training and nutrition rubbish, our media refuses to call it doping and sticks to calling it a supplements scandal or in the case of Shane Warne happily towing the line and blaming his positive on his mums diet pills.
Much like other nations we are happy to stick the head in the sand and ignore that we are watching multiple versions of the doping freakshow

Stryder, Rogers is basically the bargain version of Klöden.

As for the reference to 4th place, obviously Plaza is clinic material in 2005 (pre-Puerto, which meant he was persona non grata in most races in 2007 so Caisse jettisoned him until the storm had blown over) when he was setting the fastest ever long GT time trial (which I believe still stands) en route to 5th in the Vuelta, and with a career renaissance in his mid-30s with his GT stages this year after a couple of years of diminishing returns as a domestique at Abarcá, but not sure how he's relevant to this particular thread.

Plaza is also, if you wanted to be obtuse, the youngest veteran in the péloton, since he was born on February 29th, which means he celebrates his 9th birthday next year...

TRENDING THREADS