• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Coverage of Cycling...disgraceful

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I am disgusted to watch the news and listen to the media to not see hardly anything of Cadel Evans' mighty effort to take the yellow jersey. It is not good enough to have hardly any coverage of this amazing feat cadel has done. He also crashed early in the stage so to be hurt and be in that position is a special effort.

It also seems odd that Mike Tomolaris, Phil Anderson, and John Trevorrow hardly gave Cadel any credit and canned him for not being good enough. Yes the guy was in a bit of trouble but he had a nasty crash. When LA comes in the bull**** starts of how brave Lance was from his 3 crashes when there was only two. I think their needs to be some seriosu review of tomalaris' place as host as he mumbles and makes so many mistakes. He also seems to have something out for Cadel also.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'll support your argument that the coverage has been patchy at best and that Tomalaris has been guilty of going on a stupid crusade about a rider after each stage (Vino being selfish on stage 3, for instance) but the following is really pushing it:

auscyclefan94 said:
It also seems odd that Mike Tomolaris, Phil Anderson, and John Trevorrow hardly gave Cadel any credit and canned him for not being good enough. Yes the guy was in a bit of trouble but he had a nasty crash.

I think that Phil was taking a realistic view of Cadel's chances going forward and should be taken in context with his comments about Contador for instance. He pointed out the team support issues Cadel has and that he was slow to react to the last attack last night. He didnt's state Cadel was not good enough, nor did he Can him. John was similar in his comments.

Were you a little sleepy when you watched the coverage?

(oh, and as I type this Cadel was the lead sports story on the radio, and is slightly below Mark Webber's F1 win on the sport section of theAge online)

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I am disgusted to watch the news and listen to the media to not see hardly anything of Cadel Evans' mighty effort to take the yellow jersey. It is not good enough to have hardly any coverage of this amazing feat cadel has done. He also crashed early in the stage so to be hurt and be in that position is a special effort.

Are you going out of your way to avoid news of Evans? :confused: :p

In today's Melbourne-based papers:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/evans-grabs-yellow-in-mountains-20100712-105tq.html ("Evans grabs yellow in mountains")

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...ces-eighth-stage/story-e6frf9if-1225890524399 ("Cadel Evans claims yellow jersey after Tour de France's eighth stage")

National broadcaster ABC:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/12/2950552.htm?site=sport&section=all ("Evans in yellow as Armstrong concedes")

May 28, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

It also seems odd that Mike Tomolaris, Phil Anderson, and John Trevorrow hardly gave Cadel any credit and canned him for not being good enough. Yes the guy was in a bit of trouble but he had a nasty crash. When LA comes in the bull**** starts of how brave Lance was from his 3 crashes when there was only two. I think their needs to be some seriosu review of tomalaris' place as host as he mumbles and makes so many mistakes. He also seems to have something out for Cadel also.

Well he did punch him......:rolleyes:

I'm a big wrap for Cadel and have had the pleasure of meeting him socially so I find myself being a little critical of the coverage he receives too. I absolutely agree that the general news coverage of his achievements is terrible, but that is not directed at him specifically, it's just that cycling is still not mainstream here in Oz as you know....but I think you are a little OTT with your summary of Anderson, Iffy and Tomolaris. I thought they were trying to be balanced and not too jingoistic in their commentary. PL and PS are a disgrace though as has been said previously....I'm sure Cadel has an invisibility cloak when it comes to PS...he just doesn't seem to see him!:confused:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Even in the news, there was minimal coverage. It was a champion effort by Cadel and it is a shame that he does not get the credit he deserves for it. I found Anderson and co a little degrading of cadel's feat and i think that they did not give enough recognition to BMC and the crash he had.

It's a good day for sport and Australia;
Cuddles in Yellow
Webber taking the British GP
and
Bangladesh beat the English in the cricket...

Forget tosspots like tomalaris - we all know he's *** and clueless...
in other words "Don't let the Turkeys get you down"

Be happy for Cadel and stop whinning

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I found Anderson and co a little degrading of cadel's feat and i think that they did not give enough recognition to BMC and the crash he had.

Phil is no muppet. He's done a few things here and there. I think he provided an accurate analysis of what had happened and what he's expecting to happen based off the display he'd seen.

As for the general media coverage, you’re probably right there. I’m thinking online only – but it shocked me that SMH.com.au had a now two day old story about McEwen as their main cycling sports story, next to world cup and formula one winners. I would have thought Cadel in yellow was more newsworthy than McEwen saying the crash could cost him $1.5 million dollars. However, I know why they did it – the size of the sum attracts people and it worked, it was the site’s top read item for much of the day.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Phil is no muppet. He's done a few things here and there. I think he provided an accurate analysis of what had happened and what he's expecting to happen based off the display he'd seen.

As for the general media coverage, you’re probably right there. I’m thinking online only – but it shocked me that SMH.com.au had a now two day old story about McEwen as their main cycling sports story, next to world cup and formula one winners. I would have thought Cadel in yellow was more newsworthy than McEwen saying the crash could cost him $1.5 million dollars. However, I know why they did it – the size of the sum attracts people and it worked, it was the site’s top read item for much of the day.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

I know he is no dill but I didn't think the credit was given to cadel and his team. Others did not have leaders in the finish either and Morabito was one of the last domestiques still up there with Cadel out of all the teams.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Or because professional cycling is not a big sport in Australia? But really ACF, when the Tour ends, invest in pay TV so you can get Eurosport and you won't regret it. Either that or chew up your bandwidth on the computer.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Or because professional cycling is not a big sport in Australia? But really ACF, when the Tour ends, invest in pay TV so you can get Eurosport and you won't regret it. Either that or chew up your bandwidth on the computer.

Fair enough. Yes it is not big in Aus but it is sad that one of our best sportsmen in arguably one of the toughest sports is not getting credit due.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:

+1 for Eurosport, awesome cycling coverage. Shame it's not HD though!

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
this is the key mate, you're dealing with the Aussie media who still fervently believe that AFL and rugby league are the two toughest sports on the planet...

This is the truth of the matter and it's not just the media. I live in Torquay and see the Geelong Advertiser reporting on the upcoming World Championship. The flannelette wearing locals are suggesting via the readers comments section that a 'team' of AFL players should enter the Championships (seriously) as they are clearly the fittest athletes in the world and obviously capable of beating the skinny whimps that are coming to ride.....sigh....:eek:

What chance does Cadel have.....really....

May 22, 2010
Visit site
i think Anderson was just being realistic - he believes Cadel won't last the tour after riding the Giro. he could be proven wrong, but it's not an outrageous point of view. Trevorrow was more positive about Cadel. Tomolaris just recounts obscure facts in a vain attempt to sound like a pundit.

it could be worse people... you could have eddie mcguire so be nice.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:
i think Anderson was just being realistic - he believes Cadel won't last the tour after riding the Giro. he could be proven wrong, but it's not an outrageous point of view. Trevorrow was more positive about Cadel. Tomolaris just recounts obscure facts in a vain attempt to sound like a pundit.

it could be worse people... you could have eddie mcguire so be nice.

Eddie is far better than Tomalaris. What about Bruce MCavaney?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Saddlesaw said:
This is the truth of the matter and it's not just the media. I live in Torquay and see the Geelong Advertiser reporting on the upcoming World Championship. The flannelette wearing locals are suggesting via the readers comments section that a 'team' of AFL players should enter the Championships (seriously) as they are clearly the fittest athletes in the world and obviously capable of beating the skinny whimps that are coming to ride.....sigh....:eek:

What chance does Cadel have.....really....

So Geelong = yokel hicks? Comments like are about as cringeworthy as when I get asked by my co-workers if I'm riding the Tour de France next year.

Greg Johnson said:
Plus, wasn't Tomo talking about BMC when he said about how the 'bondage' in the team has helped this year? :D

Cheers
Greg Johnson

I hope it was a slip of the tongue and not meaning the other thing! :eek:

But hey, who am I to judge.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Anderson is one of the few Oz commentators I will actually listen to. Tomalaris and Guiness are the two biggest clueless muppets ever the grace the screen. Tomalaris is especially inept. You think a decade of covering the great race you'll learn a thing or two and understand the nuances of the sport. Do what I do and mute them when they come on as its too frustrating otherwise.

As for Australian media coverage of the race - who cares?? Get you info on CN and be thankful there's a decent site around.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
For all the coverage that Cadel didn't get....At work today, it seemed every time I turned around, someone said to me, I see Cadel Evans is in Yellow at the tour.:rolleyes:

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't exactly a spectacular move of Evans that netted him the yellow jersey yesterday, he merely hung on in the group of favorites (not even at the front) while the previous jersey and runner up didn't manage. ;)

True, yellow jersey is yellow jersey but cycling is not exactly the most popular sport and besides it's only the first week of the tour.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Perhaps if Paul the Octopus was to slip his tentacles around a Cadel Evans doll and "pick him" as the winner of the Tour, it might precipitate saturation coverage of the event on the mainstream "news" :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pedaaldanser said:
It wasn't exactly a spectacular move of Evans that netted him the yellow jersey yesterday, he merely hung on in the group of favorites (not even at the front) while the previous jersey and runner up didn't manage. ;)

True, yellow jersey is yellow jersey but cycling is not exactly the most popular sport and besides it's only the first week of the tour.

Crashed at the start of the day!!! :mad:

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
It's a good day for sport and Australia;
Cuddles in Yellow
Webber taking the British GP
and
Bangladesh beat the English in the cricket...

Sorry, have to pick you up on that last point. Bangladesh had their first win over Australia when, at least 2005? Let's not even start on the past years England vs Australia results...

Off topic I know but well. He started it.:p
;)

Tomalaris' comments are nothing new. How many years has it been there now? 10 I think. Rupert Guiness is much more insightful and Phil Anderson has been there.....knows it all......... Trevorrow won 3 Sun Tours ? Great Australian champion.......knows the business. SBS coverage is pretty good but the commentary is getting bizarre. Liggett is making more and more mistakes. At one point last night he said they were approaching the top of Alpe D Huez......not this year Phil. The weird thing is that Evans has probably had more publicity on the net for his indiscretions than for his performances which is hardly fair but the world is pretty effed up !

Be interesting to see how Cadel handles the yellow jersey this year. I have never seen him so relaxed.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Eurosport (Australia) doesnt have the Tour this year

TRENDING THREADS