• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Crime Commission investigation finds widespread doping

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not.

By major sporting codes I'm guessing it at least refers to NRL, AFL, Union and possibly Soccer. Might include Cricket too I suppose.

Edit: I will add it definitely would include Cricket in the part about match fixing. Reports suggested the BBL as a likely target. Not sure if Cricket is also targeted for peptides.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
You will have to excuse me, but really?

Aussie rules and all that?

Dave.

It is across many sports and many clubs from what I understand.

It appears to be a joint report with the ACC and ASADA and maybe others.

There is a press conference on now that is announcing the report. It includes Australian Sports Minister Kate Lundy who has mentioned cycling in regards to the Wood Report and Lance Armstrong. It is not clear whether cycling is involved.
A good chance that criminal charges will be laid including against players.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I am watching the press conference which is still on. I missed some of it at the start, not sure exactly when it started, but so far representives from AFL(Aussie Rules Football), NRL(Rugby League), ARU(Rugby Union) and FFA (Soccer). There is no evidence involving the FFA or A-league clubs but it seems to effect the other three sports.
No sign of cricket at the moment.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
250% increase in peptides and hormones have been found at Customs over the past year, I think.

Damian Barrett seemed to hint that NRL was more involved with the drugs side of the investigation than AFL.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Press conference now finished.

Apparently there is evidence of team wide doping programs.

It appears to be mostly AFL and NRL based with the ARU also involved to some smaller extent.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Former ASADA chief executive Richard Ings said today is the blackest day in Australian sport.

I think the same guy can be attributed to saying this about the comparisons with the Armstrong affair. "The difference is Oz threat is current, crosses codes and evolving." I agree with Ron Reed that this makes the doping problem worse than what the Armstrong affair is, considering that was relatively a long time ago.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It is very general report although the ACC knows more specifics about players and codes. Has some interesting statistics about the increase in PED drug importation.

Yes, the full report which the codes and police have seen is much more specific and names names.
Victorian Police press conference on now says the report establishes clear lines of supply of drugs.
Talking about how A-League games are getting huge amounts of money bet on them in Asia which I think is outside the report.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Good to see the same suspicious pointers from cycling are present - like Hird getting training advice from a pharmaceutical sales rep...because sales reps know heaps about training. Like gynecologists.

And players repeating the same lines...Recently retired Essendon onballer Mark McVeigh was adamant the club had done nothing wrong, saying he had taken only vitamins.....you could just change Neil Stephens in for Mark McVeigh and hey presto :p

And you have stories like this on the back page and its actually celebrated! I'm not completely Clinic centric so I'm not sure, is blood spinning as described here for knee repair banned in cycling? Wiki seems to suggest its borderline but not illegal.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...y-knee-treatment/story-e6frf9jf-1226527567665

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
PCutter said:
I'm not completely Clinic centric so I'm not sure, is blood spinning as described here for knee repair banned in cycling? Wiki seems to suggest its borderline but not illegal.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...y-knee-treatment/story-e6frf9jf-1226527567665

This came up the other day after Defoe had the treatment, my understanding is that it is legal in any sport if carried out in a specific way.

I am open to correction on that though as not completely sure.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am enjoying seeing this as sick and twisted as it sounds....I am tired of seeing Cycling as the whipping boy and doping has always been rife in other sports, it's about time it was exposed to all to see.

Although most of the press in Australia in the past has been about these meatheads boozing and beating people up and taking recreational drugs.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
observer said:
im pretty surprised that athletics didn't get a mention, nor tennis.

i guess that they are focussed on team sports.

It is quite possible there are different supply routes for drugs in athletics and other sports. What they have found might be more specific towards NRL and AFL and perhaps ARU.
However I would be extremely surprised if there is not serious problems in other sports.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
observer said:
im pretty surprised that athletics didn't get a mention, nor tennis.

i guess that they are focussed on team sports.

Im not too surprised, have you seen our athletics squad performance? If they're doping they should ask for a refund.

Tennis...I'm sure Sam the Man is trained personally and outside any system so may fall beyond the report scope.

TRENDING THREADS