• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Nationals

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
even tho Gerro has his arm in a sling, they really should just give him the jersey. he has been carrying the nation in Europe for the last decade, save a few results in July by cuddles.

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
blackcat said:
even tho Gerro has his arm in a sling, they really should just give him the jersey. he has been carrying the nation in Europe for the last decade, save a few results in July by cuddles.

Ignore all the domestiques then?

May 28, 2012
Visit site
blackcat said:

The last 3 years maybe, but before 2012 Evans and Rogers were the main men.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Rogers has only won races this year.

tts dont count.

he lost by a bees d!ck to Aitor Gonzalez in Suisse a decade back, but those 2.2 tours in France dont count.

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
blackcat said:
Rogers has only won races this year.

tts dont count.

he lost by a bees d!ck to Aitor Gonzalez in Suisse a decade back, but those 2.2 tours in France dont count.

Only discounting three rainbows are we? Also, Porte had a good enough 2013 that Gerrans didn't carry Australia. P-N GC vs sticking nose out in stage 3 and having a team that are good at TTTs.

Also keep in mind that if he managed to keep in tow of Landis as opposed to crashing on the way to Morzine he might have pulled a Tour (in the end and officially speaking) out of a hat.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
nhowson said:
Only discounting three rainbows are we? Also, Porte had a good enough 2013 that Gerrans didn't carry Australia. P-N GC vs sticking nose out in stage 3 and having a team that are good at TTTs.

Also keep in mind that if he managed to keep in tow of Landis as opposed to crashing on the way to Morzine he might have pulled a Tour (in the end and officially speaking) out of a hat.
yes, the three rainbows in the chrono. When all the best chrono riders are usually riding July, and you will see the best chrono riders win the tt in July in France.

the best chrono riders of his era were Millar, Ullrich, GoncharHonchar, Botero, Armstrong, Landis.

to be the best in those years, you needed to win a TdF tt.

maybe even Bert Grabsch on the bubble. but not Uwe Peschel nor Michael Rich. Rogers might have been on a tier with them.

See, in September, the best riders are riding the roadrace for the rainbow, they dont give a shoot about the timetrial. Ok, it has an element of prestige, and Dodger is still a brilliant rider, and worldbeating pro. no disrespect. I am just doing the devils advocate, Gerro is on a whole nother level. Gerro wins, he is a winner. Rogers is like Hincapie, a brilliant rider, a loyal teammate, and a brilliant pro. But this was not the point i was making.

nhowson said:

I think you mean Rasmussen in 2007. In 2006 he had to ride for Kloden.

Sasquatch said:
Durbridge or Dennis to do the double or a mixture of the combination.
Durbridge and Dennis should go 1-2 in the TT but the RR is wide open.

Porte, Evans, Haas, Hansen, Clarke, Dennis, Meyer, Matthews, Earle, Roe, hell - the Morton bros and Lloyd could even combine and get Jelly Belly a national champ. Then there's avanti and their guys like Van der Ploeg and Budget Forklifts with Bobridge and co. This has the potential to be an even better race than last year.

I'm tipping Simon Clarke to shine in Gerrans' absence and make the podium.

Very hard for Dennis to win as OGE shut down an unfavourable break containing him and better sprinters than him if it's a group (Evans/Clarke), he would need Evans to work all out for him and we all know the likelihood of that happening. Given OGE's relative lack of strength this year they may try and work the race towards Ewan making it up to Earle/Dennis to thin things out so it becomes a battle between Evans/Porte/Meyer/Clarke/Rogers. Best scenario for Dennis is he gets into a big early break which is big enough for OGE to struggle to control but without 2-3 of them in it.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly how I think Dennis would win, Ferminal.

OGE will have a couple riders in the break. Their plan A will be win from a break. Their plan B will be to set up Ewan in a group sprint and their plan C will be for Clarke.

Dennis could get in the early break, and a few OGE riders will be in there. Who will chase? Last year it was OGE. OGE won't chase if they have a strong rider in the break like a Durbridge/Meyer for example. So we could see a break featuring some decent time trialists in one or two of Durbridge/Hepburn/Meyer - possibly Dennis or Flakemore for BMC, possibly Bobridge for Budget. Possibly Meyer from Drapac.

There's a good chance the early break will have massive firepower in it and teams won't be able to chase it down hence why I'm tipping Dennis.

Let's assume it pans out like last year. No one is going to work in a group that features Ewan. So count him out. He won't be winning. No one will drag him to the line. So the people saying Clarke could be onto something.

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't mind who wins it as long as they show the jersey throughout the season. Whether or not Greenedge win the jersey, having Gerrans absent should force the other riders to step up. Either one of their riders wins it and has a good season or they lose and realise they can't just rely on Gerrans all the time, forcing others to step up.

Anyway my 3 tips for the wins are:
Road Race: Simon Clarke, Cadel Evans, Michael Hepburn
TT: Hepburn, Dennis, Porte.

Also I'm curious as to how other teams would design the champion's jersey.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
With OGE's plan C of Clarke, also consider that it was Meyer last year who was the only rider capable of riding with Gerrans, Evans and Porte- he's a good option as well and has a good sprint.

Cam is a good candidate for the early break I think. They will want someone up the road they know can finish the job if the break stays away. They will have one of Clarke or Cam in the early break with Hepburn. Save Durbridge for later if needed to bring attacks/break back.

TRENDING THREADS