• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Back into MTB after 15+ year hiatus

Well, I have a bunch of buddies who ride MTB a lot, and I'm liking the idea of something new(ish) and not getting clobbered by some arse-wipe texting while they're driving, so I'm getting back into MTB after a long road hiatus. I'm in the bay area, so there are tons of options around here and also Tahoe where we spend a lot of time.

Just pulled the trigger on an Ibis Ripley which I found a screaming deal on (2014, X01 Build, Blue) and it should be here in less than a week. Very stoked. Anyone have this bike? I rode one the other day at my LBS, and loved it, and while they were offering a killer deal as well I really wanted to get into the 1x11 X01 rather than the 2x10 XT build. Really smooth, quick and nimble. I actually liked it better than the cheaper and well-decked out Santa Cruz 5010. Found it more maneuverable (surprisingly) and predictable, and just more fun with a lot more zip and stiffness.

Not my bike but the build looks very close.
890946d1399314129-ripley-picture-build-thread-ibisripleyfrontside.jpg

welcome back

i am very similar in that i am now full time on the mtb after many years on the road scene

it's a nice change and one i'm enjoying immensely as you'll read in a few other threads

i don't have that bike
but i would like it

i think you'll have a lot of fun on that ibis
please post back some comments on the 1X11
i'm intrigued

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
welcome back

i am very similar in that i am now full time on the mtb after many years on the road scene

it's a nice change and one i'm enjoying immensely as you'll read in a few other threads

i don't have that bike
but i would like it

i think you'll have a lot of fun on that ibis
please post back some comments on the 1X11
i'm intrigued

Thanks, and yeah will do. Obviously not having ridden a mountain bike in 15 years I won't have much to compare the 1x11 to, but will happily give impressions. Actually not a bad blog post idea, newbie mountain biker reaction to 1x11.

Anyway. Got a 32 front and the back is 11-42. Wondering if I should go 30 and then get a 32 later. Probably doesn't matter, I'll figure it out.

Kind of can't wait 'till it gets here. Feeling like a kid at Christmas.

yeah
it's a lot of fun

i found that for the first few rides i just went out on my own to get the feel dialled in and getting used to very responsive, very accurate hydraulic brakes

plus avoiding the embarrassment of my mates watching me deck it

now riding with a group who are well skilled and can rip the trails
i have found that just like skiing
your performance improves when you hang with those more skilled than yourself
plus you push a bit harder and don't hesitate or drop nuts when you encounter a difficult section

Re:

King Boonen said:
I don't have one but I know people who do and never heard a bad word about them, fantastic bikes.

Stick with the 32, 30-11 would be too spinny on the flat. I'm considering 1x and if I go for it I'll probably run a 34 or 36 with 11-36 at the back.

Thanks! Ordered and on its way. I'll get whatever other chainrings I need as I go along. Appreciate the input.

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
Saaaar-Wheat Bro!!

please enjoy

i like that colour

Yeah, thanks! There was a green/black one locally, but it was XT 2x10 and I like the blue much better. I had a question about the frame and called Ibis, they said I was lucky to find one in blue, they're apparently pretty rare at this point.

Got some decent shoes and looking to take it to Tahoe this weekend. Should be fun!

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
So cool! Welcome back!
For me, from the mountains, MTB more practical, good frame and wheelset is also very important.
I like carbon frame and wheelset, and have a variety of carbon frame.

So Red_Flanders... Fully bitten by the MTB bug? :D

I find I swap between road and MTB and end up spending more time on one than the other (road this year due to me being an idiot...) but every time I get out for a proper ride on my MTB I'm reminded why I love all forms of cycling. There really is nothing better than being out in the hills on a sunny day with a few mates blasting down some steep, rocky trails :D

Re:

King Boonen said:

I find I swap between road and MTB and end up spending more time on one than the other (road this year due to me being an idiot...) but every time I get out for a proper ride on my MTB I'm reminded why I love all forms of cycling. There really is nothing better than being out in the hills on a sunny day with a few mates blasting down some steep, rocky trails :D

Not sure I'm fully bitten yet, but had a great ride in Marin and really enjoying it! No interest in road riding at this point. Lots of skills to brush up on, but I'm riding we'll both up and downhil compared to the folks I've been riding with. Got to get out with some friends and get pushed a bit, but a good couple of shakedown rides have been useful to make sure the bike is set up properly.

Looking forward to pushing things a bit this weekend.

It is really nice to be out on the trails, in the quiet and off the roads. Honestly the people are nicer as well.

Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
King Boonen said:

Not sure I'm fully bitten yet, but had a great ride in Marin and really enjoying it! No interest in road riding at this point. Lots of skills to brush up on, but I'm riding we'll both up and downhil compared to the folks I've been riding with. Got to get out with some friends and get pushed a bit, but a good couple of shakedown rides have been useful to make sure the bike is set up properly.

It is really nice to be out on the trails, in the quiet and off the roads. Honestly the people are nicer as well.

I really struggle with upper body strength when I jump back on the MTB. Also, it's a lot more explosive than road riding so I find good riders can get away from me on the short, steep uphills, but tend to get more tired than me over the course of the ride.

As to the people, I kind of agree and disagree. In general it's easier to find nicer folk on the MTB I think, but you also tend to be more selective in the first place. Road riding generally involves club riding for those of use who are reasonably serious about it. You don't have much choice about who rides with the club or what pace group they choose. MTB is usually just riding with a few people so you can pick and choose more easily.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
red_flanders said:
King Boonen said:

I really struggle with upper body strength when I jump back on the MTB. Also, it's a lot more explosive than road riding so I find good riders can get away from me on the short, steep uphills, but tend to get more tired than me over the course of the ride.

As to the people, I kind of agree and disagree. In general it's easier to find nicer folk on the MTB I think, but you also tend to be more selective in the first place. Road riding generally involves club riding for those of use who are reasonably serious about it. You don't have much choice about who rides with the club or what pace group they choose. MTB is usually just riding with a few people so you can pick and choose more easily.

We're kind of opposites then–I really struggle to gain/keep endurance while power and upper body strength come fairly easily.

I think the differences between road riders and mountain bikers are two-fold. The nature of the sports are different, and the motivations of the riders seem different. In road cycling there is very much a group/pack mentality and riding style, and a strong aesthetic and athletic tie into racing. The group riding requires a very even and fairly high level of pack riding skills, and those who don't have them can cause a lot of trouble and crash you out pretty easily, doing some bodily harm and some real damage to expensive machines. As such, there tends to be a lot of aggressive and vocal corrections of riders perceived to be dangerous. I'm as guilty of this as anyone. There's also this race mentality where I think a lot of people are trying to live out some racing dreams, and as such there's a fair amount (or at least a lot more than in MTB) posturing and aggression. It's just more competitive. And there is traffic to deal with which can get testy as well.

MTB seems to be a group activity, but it's also not based on drafting, so there is more natural spacing between riders, more ride and wait for slower riders to catch up, and more time to pause and appreciate the natural beauty in the trails. Feels more like going skiing with some buddies where you attack a section and regroup. And no cars to avoid. :)

Anyway, really enjoying it.

TRENDING THREADS