• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Back on FS and Lovin' It!

jmdirt said:
For my last season of racing I went back to a hardtail, albeit with 29" wheels (Scott Scale 910). As a retirement gift, my LBS sponsor gave me the bike so I rode it for two more years. I just got a 2016 Scott Spark 910 full boinger...oh yah, I'm having a blast! :D My old body is thanking me already! :D

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/241327009/SCOTT-Spark-910-Bike

I rode that bike when I was test riding a ton. A real standout! I really liked the ability to tune the suspension from the cockpit. Would he's been very happy with that one. Congrats and enjoy! FS is so good now, you gotta love it.

red_flanders said:
jmdirt said:
For my last season of racing I went back to a hardtail, albeit with 29" wheels (Scott Scale 910). As a retirement gift, my LBS sponsor gave me the bike so I rode it for two more years. I just got a 2016 Scott Spark 910 full boinger...oh yah, I'm having a blast! :D My old body is thanking me already! :D

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/241327009/SCOTT-Spark-910-Bike

I rode that bike when I was test riding a ton. A real standout! I really liked the ability to tune the suspension from the cockpit. Would he's been very happy with that one. Congrats and enjoy! FS is so good now, you gotta love it.
The first FS I spent any real time on was a pre-production GF Sugar (several version actually). I had just stepped away from the Trek grassroots team and the GF guys asked me if I wanted to do a little R&D (riding and destroying) on their new FS XC rig (actually the first one I rode had Klein stickers on it). After a few years of Sugars and getting a "real" job (no more being full time racer trash), I got a Yeti ASR-SL demo deal (that bike and I never got along). Then I hooked up with a long-time friend LBS and started a relationship that is better than I could ever hope for. I've had a few Giant Anthems, a few Scott Sparks, and then back to hard tail Scale like I explained above. Obviously its impossible to compare the Sugars to my new Spark, but yah, FS is so good now.

Weerieped

BANNED
Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
My first - had a chemical a few years back. And I have long cycles so we might be in for the long haul with this to be honest

Feel free to pm me and we can ride this out ha

Since I posted this thread five+ years ago I put a lot of hours on that Spark, but last year I got a new Spark big wheel of the trail variety (Scott split the Spark line into Spark RC-race, and Spark-trail). More travel, relaxed geo, wider rims, wider tires, dropper post...really fun!

Its all advantages!

Isn't bfe "bum f*ck Egypt" meaning middle of nowhere? Anyway, there is no way that I would ride a hard tail again, but more power to you if that is what you want to do! :) Unless you have specific fit or riding requirements, 29 is the way to go IMO. If you want a hard tail, why not 29?

TRENDING THREADS