• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Bahrain

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Padun not going to the tour leaves some room for speculation

Nooooo!

Dammit you're right, no Padun.

E4LkxjfWEAUNNRf

This spoils some of the clinic fun tbh, i.e. I was looking forward to more comparisons with the legendary climbing times of the 1990's. But in terms of sport, considering his performance in the Dauphiné it makes absolutely no sense to leave Padun at home... unless Bahrain have decided to fly under the radar again.

You just don't have a guy blow rivals to pieces on the two main mountain stages in the Dauphiné & leave him at home for the Tour de France. Not normal. Pas normal.

Especially when Padun already said he wanted to do the Tour.

Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
Nooooo!

Dammit you're right, no Padun.

E4LkxjfWEAUNNRf

This spoils some of the clinic fun tbh, i.e. I was looking forward to more comparisons with the legendary climbing times of the 1990's. But in terms of sport, considering his performance in the Dauphiné it makes absolutely no sense to leave Padun at home... unless Bahrain have decided to fly under the radar again.

You just don't have a guy blow rivals to pieces on the two main mountain stages in the Dauphiné & leave him at home for the Tour de France. Not normal. Pas normal.

Especially when Padun already said he wanted to do the Tour.
Nooo, I wanted him to go full 2008 Sella.:(
Them not bringing Padun is a bit suspect.

Masnada sounded shocked after the Italian RR: "Colbrelli was just too strong, he almost dropped me on the climbs."
At one point it looked like Sonny was about to drop him for good. Masnada rode like a donkey but I don't think there's a scenario where he could beat Sonny yesterday (unless a crash happened). He was too strong.

And yes, he was always a good climber for such a quick guy, but what he's done post-Covid is something else.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I'm curious if they got a Letter from someone high up to knock their stuff off, or, more charitably, someone at the team didn't like what they saw and thought Padun was a "liability". No way that happens under normal circumstances.

Then again, who knows, maybe he just got caught with the DS's wife or something...

I'm curious if they got a Letter from someone high up to knock their stuff off, or, more charitably, someone at the team didn't like what they saw and thought Padun was a "liability". No way that happens under normal circumstances.

Then again, who knows, maybe he just got caught with the DS's wife or something...

This is the logical assumption but also some people are saying it could be some sleazy contract issue? I’m not sure how but apparently Bahrain wouldn’t need to pay out as much or maybe it keeps his value lower for when his contract ends?

Or the explanation is even "worse", i.e. Bahrain got super excited at how well Padun responded to their new methods this year (aka the same methods applied to Mader, Tratnik, Caruso etc.) & instead of throwing him in at the deep end against insurmountable Slovenian odds (because for example his time trialling might be totally subpar), they're keeping him back, prepping him some more behind the scenes & they're going to unleash an even stronger Padun in either the vuelta or next year's GT's.

Wait & see. Because they might actually think a Tour win with Padun is possible next year (considering his climbing watts), i.e. something worth forgoing stage wins this year just to get a better rider next year.

Reactions: hulkgogan

TRENDING THREADS