• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bani claims team doped him without his knowledge

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
craig1985 said:
Bani says team doped him without his knowledge - cyclingnews.com

I don't mean to be cynical, but haven't we heard this excuse before?

Maybe we have but not from someone so young. If by the time a rider has reached a ProTour team (and the controls of the bio passport) he has already had maybe five years of doping--has been doped during his impressionable formative years--then what hope is there for the advancement of clean pro cycling?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, he was signed by Ivano Fanini for the Amore & Vita team. I trust Fanini's honesty above anyone else's, and Fanini is quite well informed on what's happening in the italian youth scene, so if Fanini trusts him, I will too

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
ruamruam said:
There was a greyhound in Ireland who was found to have EPO in his system after he won a race.

The dog claimed he was doped by his trainer.

If the dopers get to them when they're puppies then what chance is there of ever having clean pro greyhound racing? ;)

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
if he was doping as a junior this is child abuse!

im for life bans- especially for seasoned pros who know everything that they take . all the "i didnt know"-This ****e

but this was a kid. Hopeful, dreamin kid betrayed ? guilty? deserving a second chance?

A

Anonymous

See, on one hand, doping them without their knowledge, clearly wrong..

but...

Eugenio Bani has said that his former team Ambra Cavallini Vangi “forced” him to take medications and that he did not know what they were.

just how do you force someone to take medications? Put them in front of the rider and say take those or you will get nowhere, lie back, let us put this injection in you or you will be out!

And if thats the case, what in hell did he think they where putting into his body, vitamins..?

Id like to beleive the guy, but if you are taking medications, especially if they are forced on you, you have to be suspicious of what they are..

Once a week he was given injections. "They said they were vitamins, were taken out of the refrigerator, already packaged in syringes. I have asked many times what was inside and always reassured me: tonics to regain strength. In the end what should you do? You trust them.”

NOBODY is that naive..

dimspace said:
See, on one hand, doping them without their knowledge, clearly wrong..

Good old Chris Carmichael would inject members of the U.S. national team with dope while lying to them about what was in the injections.

dimspace said:
just how do you force someone to take medications? Put them in front of the rider and say take those or you will get nowhere, lie back, let us put this injection in you or you will be out!

A Postal soigneur said that Vaughters was a little difficult because he would ask what he was being injected into him. The other riders would hand over their arms and let the team doctors inject whatever they wanted. It is probably pretty common.

Of course, a rider would would not be anywhere near a genius to figure out that he was being doped.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
wow...

BroDeal said:
Good old Chris Carmichael would inject members of the U.S. national team with dope while lying to them about what was in the injections.

A Postal soigneur said that Vaughters was a little difficult because he would ask what he was being injected into him. The other riders would hand over their arms and let the team doctors inject whatever they wanted. It is probably pretty common.

Of course, a rider would would not be anywhere near a genius to figure out that he was being doped.

Bro: If you have some links to that info I'd sure like to read up it. If you don't have some type of documented info I'd think you were dangerously close to libel with this post. You might want to give that some thought...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
turnkey303 said:
Bro: If you have some links to that info I'd sure like to read up it. If you don't have some type of documented info I'd think you were dangerously close to libel with this post. You might want to give that some thought...

It is not Libel if it is true.

Carmicheal settled out of court with the riders. They took USA cycling to court and won a settlement of $250,000 each

http://velonews.competitor.com/2000/12/news/strock-speaks_79

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It is not Libel if it is true.

Carmicheal settled out of court with the riders. They took USA cycling to court and won a settlement of $250,000 each

http://velonews.competitor.com/2000/12/news/strock-speaks_79

Yep true enough, I just hadn't heard that before for some reason. Must have been before my time in cycling.

edit: Here's the link to the article where Carmichael is specifically mentioned for anyone else new to it as well: http://velonews.competitor.com/2006/04/news/six-years-later-strock-case-comes-to-court_9763

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
turnkey303 said:

read david walsh's 'From lance to landis' (or whatever it's called), half the book is dedicated to these particular incidents...carmichael reckons they were injecting 'extract of cortisone' or something...the fact that 'extract of cortisone' doesn't exist is neither here nor there! :)....Oh, & although lance was on the same team, same soignies, same coach & was having injections as well....his were only vitamins, ok?

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
asockpuppet said:
read david walsh's 'From lance to landis' (or whatever it's called), half the book is dedicated to these particular incidents...carmichael reckons they were injecting 'extract of cortisone' or something...the fact that 'extract of cortisone' doesn't exist is neither here nor there! :)....Oh, & although lance was on the same team, same soignies, same coach & was having injections as well....his were only vitamins, ok?

Eh I think I'll pass on putting any money in that guy's pocket.

According to Strock he and Lance never had the same coach, soigneur, etc.: "We were staggered as juniors — he was a year older than me and never fell under this coach (Wenzel)." Quote from the VN interview with him but I get your point.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
turnkey303 said:
Eh I think I'll pass on putting any money in that guy's pocket.

According to Strock he and Lance never had the same coach, soigneur, etc.: "We were staggered as juniors — he was a year older than me and never fell under this coach (Wenzel)." Quote from the VN interview with him but I get your point.

He was smart to not want to bring Armstrong into the fight.....but they did have the same coach. Strock settled with Charmicheal, Lance's coach.

turnkey303 said:

Even Lance in 2001 accepted that Carmichael offering settlement before court, was a bad sign. Sunday Times interview with David Walsh.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Yea...

Digger said:
Even Lance in 2001 accepted that Carmichael offering settlement before court, was a bad sign. Sunday Times interview with David Walsh.

I think I'll just go back to complete denial, it's so much easier.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

And before him came Eddie B...who doctored a generation of American Pros. Most of which knew exactly what they were doing before Carmichael was in the picture. CC just continued the tradition for those that didn't kick up too much of a fuss.
And yes, Turnkey; we know people who were doctored.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Doping case Bani reopend, Ban lifted !

Giovedì 28 Gennaio | 10:32 | Corriere dello Sport. Il caso Bani approda al TNA

Reopening of the case of Eugene Bani, the very young (19 years) Tuscan banned for two years due to doping. The chief prosecutor dell'antidoping Coni, Ettore Torri, granted the appeal (a minor at the time) and his parents, has reopened the case and now the TNA (the National Anti-Doping Tribunal) has called for Eugene Bani on March 5.
Bani was found positive for the gonadotropin Carion (a performance-enhancing drugs) in an inspection carried out June 24, 2009 Italian Championship in Imola, was banned for 21 months December 17, 2009. On January 15 he went to Eugene Torri accompanied by their parents: Mom and Dad Mrs. Monica Fabrizio.
The decision to replay the Eugenio Bani case so long after a ruling of disqualification, suggests that it could shed light on a system common in cycling youth. Since this is a boy 18 at the time, his case is intended to act as a watershed.

by Il Corriere dello Sport - Stadio

Full report: http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=26271&tp=n
Also: [Jan, 4~Suspended Bani getting Pro. at A&V-C]

The hand of Fanini goes a long way, Bani can go racing: Amore&Vita-Conrad:confused:

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
No discount, no reduction of sentence

Repubblica.it | 'Bani, niente sconto Squalifica confermata'

Rome - Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - The National Anti-Doping Tribunal, chaired by Francis Plotinus, in the proceedings concerning the request for suspension of disqualification made by the athlete Eugene Bani, noted that with the TNA decision issued December 17, 2009, has already been recognized athlete the benefit of active collaboration with a reduced period of disqualification for 3 months.

The Tribunal found that there were no new facts, having regard to Article 10.5.2 of the WADA Code 2009, rejects the state, the panel said, without prejudice to the right of the athlete to present it again if new facts emerge.

Junior Bani was found positive for gonadotropin (a hormone that stimulates the production of testosterone, the hormone of force) to the category of the Italian championships in June . The young athlete, therefore, must serve for the full 21 months inflicted in the first trial.
More...http://www.repubblica.it/sport/ciclismo/2010/03/10/news/caso_bani_ricorso-2579728/

Once a week he was given injections. "They said they were vitamins, were taken out of the refrigerator, already packaged in syringes. I have asked many times what was inside and always reassured me: tonics to regain strength. In the end what should you do? You trust them.”

Maybe it's the goofy translation, but does anyone use the term "tonics" anymore?

I thought tonics, potions and elixirs went out with carnival sideshows and travelling salesmen.

SLIDE08.JPG

While he's at it, here are some surefire liniments "guaranteed" to work too:

SLIDE07.JPG

Here son, let me grab my "medical bag":

SLIDE01C.JPG

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
screening is the new doping these days if you can screen youre urine and cover up youre blood iregularities then youre fine !..
Well im just thinking thats how the riders probably see it anyways heh!..

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
luigiv said:
screening is the new doping these days if you can screen youre urine and cover up youre blood iregularities then youre fine !..
Well im just thinking thats how the riders probably see it anyways heh!..
no one said it was going to be easy...if it was ..."then everyone would be a champion...... Really just ask youreself is it really what you want? If not then dont waste youre time

TRENDING THREADS