• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso and Modolo smacked around by protesters!

Zoncolan said:

This was essentially reported in la Repubblica as well, with the additional news that Northern League-ist Michelino Davico (the one who provided the idea for the course) said fortunately the protesters didn't ruin the party, even if the "savages were only prevented by the police from doing harm to the riders, while some were nonetheless pushed by them."

To this Paolo Ferrero, the Rifondazione Comunista party secretary and organizer of the protest, replicated: "We contested the event with extreme attention in order to avoid placing the safety of the cyclists and law enforcement in jeopardy. I would respond to Davico that it's indecent that the Federazione Ciclistica Italiana caved in to the will of the Northern League, constructing thereby a sporting event the sole characteristic of which is pure party propaganda. We will continue the contestation throughout the entire duration of the race. The Northern League must get it out of their heads that they can just organize their scandalously provocative events in the belief that they can do so under no threat of protest."

This is not a political forum, however the truth is Italy is starting to implode...there's a lot of unexpressed rage in Italians' minds for the ongoing economical crisis but way more for the political void which is the leit-motiv of these last years. And now that the sand castles are starting to crumble...there you go.

I know, stupids are everywhere, and stupid acts like these have been everywhere before.
But believe me, there are bad times ahead in Italy, you can smell it in the air...

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Where is the Badger when you need him?

Hinault-Paris-NiceSmall-1024x674.jpg

badger1.jpg

hinault2.jpg

The Giro d'Italy unites Italy in a unique way: by cycling round it and showing that it's one big beautiful country.
Even when they arrive once a decade - like they do in Sardinia it is appreciated as a great thing.

Some in La Lega would prefer their bit of Italy (Padania) to split off and become richer - thus they might protest against events that seem to unite Italy. God knows though why they protest at the Giro of Padania - their own local provincial tour???

TourOfSardinia said:
Some in La Lega would prefer their bit of Italy (Padania) to split off and become richer - thus they might protest against events that seem to unite Italy. God knows though why they protest at the Giro of Padania - their own local provincial tour???
The protesters at the Giro di Padania are anti-Lega Nord. Since "Padania" is not a historical term and it was coined by the Lega Nord, they see this race basically as separatist propaganda. And frankly, whether they're right or not to protest against the race itself, they're right about the propaganda bit - how many foreigners were even aware that "Padania" was a thing before this happened?

Problem is that news sources in Italy are hardly neutral either. I don't believe either Repubblica or Giornale.

I still don't understand what happened. So a local, a Lega Nord member, organized this race and because it was a race in one province some left wing people protested?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
Problem is that news sources in Italy are hardly neutral either. I don't believe either Repubblica or Giornale.

I still don't understand what happened. So a local, a Lega Nord member, organized this race and because it was a race in one province some left wing people protested?

That's how I interpreted it, yes.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:

No. The Lega Nord organised the race using their made-up name 'Padania' to promote their xenophobic political agenda, and unsurprisingly this has provoked protests by their political opponents.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
No. The Lega Nord organised the race using their made-up name 'Padania' to promote their xenophobic political agenda, and unsurprisingly this has provoked protests by their political opponents.

Padania isn't more made up than Italy lol

Arnout said:

Then you are a blockhead.

The entire motion was politically based from the outset. It's about fascism and money vs. decency. Nothing more. If there were any dignity to the sport and the riders and organizations that make it up, which there blatantly is not, then such an event would have been boycotted. End of story.

If you can't discern the issues then you are too taken in by the sporting aspect of it, which is where the problem began.

I can only repeat what I have already reported before in another thread:

"Qui la politica non c'entra, siamo venuti per correre." ("Here politics counts for nothing, we have only come to race.") So spoke Ivan Basso, the number one Italian cyclist and the most illustrious participant of the so called Giro di Padania. But as even any Italian child can understand, a manifestation that is called "Giro di Padania" and which has been financed and publicized by exponents of the Northern League is political in the purest state.

To be able to say "Qui la politica non c'entra" one needs a strong dose of hypocrisy, or else has to know nothing, absolutely nothing, about the country in which he lives. Ivan Basso will have to decide for himself in which category he prefers to belong: that of the hypocrites, or that of the imbeciles.

For Ivan Basso the Giro d'Italia and the Giro di Padania are evidently the exact same thing in terms of what the sport glorifies and promotes, even if one symbolically celebrates national unity and solidarity, the other racism and separation. Though for Basso it's only a question of pedaling your bike with bowed head without ever raising it to comprehend where one is going, and why.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Then you are a blockhead.

The entire motion was politically based from the outset. It's about fascism and money vs. decency. Nothing more. If there were any dignity to the sport and the riders and organizations that make it up, which there blatantly is not, then such an event would have been boycotted. End of story.

If you can't discern the issues then you are too taken in by the sporting aspect of it, which is where the problem began.

I can only repeat what I have already reported before in another thread:

"Qui la politica non c'entra, siamo venuti per correre." ("Here politics counts for nothing, we have only come to race.") So spoke Ivan Basso, the number one Italian cyclist and the most illustrious participant of the so called Giro di Padania. But as even any Italian child can understand, a manifestation that is called "Giro di Padania" and which has been financed and publicized by exponents of the Northern League is political in the purest state.

To be able to say "Qui la politica non c'entra" one needs a strong dose of hypocrisy, or else has to know nothing, absolutely nothing, about the country in which he lives. Ivan Basso will have to decide for himself in which category he prefers to belong: that of the hypocrites, or that of the imbeciles.

For Ivan Basso the Giro d'Italia and the Giro di Padania are evidently the exact same thing in terms of what the sport glorifies and promotes, even if one symbolically celebrates national unity and solidarity, the other racism and separation. Though for Basso it's only a question of pedaling your bike with bowed head without ever raising it to comprehend where one is going, and why.
Nicely summed up.

TRENDING THREADS