• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bassons: The most eloquent perspective...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Disappointed, Christophe. You went and took the high/sane road instead of acting out the victim part. You could have had the haters all whipped up into a frenzy around here and eating out of your hand with just a word or two about the horrific comment you had to endure that day. Get a sense of humor - some of us depend upon it for entertainment around here. Your need to state the obvious has keep the hyenas at bay.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd say Bassons is more like BotanyBay\me on the whole 'Dr Phil' thing.

But yes ultimately as in society, as in the peloton, as on forums we all conform to some well known trope and stereotype.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
SpeedWay said:
Disappointed, Christophe. You went and took the high/sane road instead of acting out the victim part. You could have had the haters all whipped up into a frenzy around here and eating out of your hand with just a word or two about the horrific comment you had to endure that day. Get a sense of humor - some of us depend upon it for entertainment around here. Your need to state the obvious has keep the hyenas at bay.

Or maybe some of the "haters" around here actually possess a deeper grasp on some of these issues than some would like to acknowledge. Much of the "hate" is generated from years of frustration born from inaction and perpetuated lies.

Any rational-minded individual--of which there are more here than is often recognized--will embrace Bassons' very sane and sobering assessment. It points us in the direction of truth, transparency...and optimism.

This is the quote from Bassons that caught my attention most:

"That’s why it’s a mistake to fight the war on doping in terms of health – because, if you actually analyse it, doping responds to a need there too, because you can be healthier doing the Tour de France on drugs than without anything.”

Clearly his understanding of what doping represents in terms of the health of the athlete is far more pragmatic and less judgmental than most of the posters on this forum who, with no exposure or practical experience, have reduced this issue to something very black and white.

Skandar Akbar

BANNED
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
What's he doing, though, for the omerta?

Evidently his philosophical detachment is beyond being burdened over such concerns. Or is he so zen as to rise above them?

To me he sounds like the pot and lsd induced flower talk from the 60's. I would be curious if the drug control place he works at requires urine tests for its employees.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
is the frothing at the mouth here at these forums really coming from excitement, or are you guys getting together in dark alleys with your pants around your ankles?

Skandar Akbar

BANNED
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
This is actually a good conversation to have. This whole thread is nothing more than fawning over Bassons and nobody has heard a peep out of him in 10 years. Then he comes on CN and spews a bunch of philosophical BS and he is now the hero. Nothing he said in that interview will have any effect on anything, and if he would've spoken up 10 years ago then maybe things would be better. He took the cowardly way out and has now emerged spewing a bunch of crap while the clinic runs behind him licking it up. Carry on.

Impeccable & flawless statement. At the end of this entire mess, Armstrong is the one whose bitterness, lies & greed are going stay with him, since the rest of the people he offended & mis characterized are beyond those feelings and have found something more profound to carry on with their lives...
hats off to Bassons:)

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Skandar Akbar said:
This is actually a good conversation to have. This whole thread is nothing more than fawning over Bassons and nobody has heard a peep out of him in 10 years. Then he comes on CN and spews a bunch of philosophical BS and he is now the hero. Nothing he said in that interview will have any effect on anything, and if he would've spoken up 10 years ago then maybe things would be better. He took the cowardly way out and has now emerged spewing a bunch of crap while the clinic runs behind him licking it up. Carry on.
You do not know the 'tao'! The stream now flows a path anew, forging itself amongst rocks, while Bassons lays afloat on his raft carrying him forth.

Skandar Akbar said:
Dude, he spoke out at the time and published a book. He's gone on with his life. CN contacted him to ask him because he was mentioned in Kimmage's interview, so he responded. What's wrong with that?

Skandar Akbar

BANNED
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Dude, he spoke out at the time and published a book. He's gone on with his life. CN contacted him to ask him because he was mentioned in Kimmage's interview, so he responded. What's wrong with that?

DUUUDE lol. Man check out those cool takes Bassons laid down on those dudes at CN. Pass the doobie. :cool:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

If Skandar is so ignorant of the facts, then his ridiculous and cynical posts aren't worthy of a response. He's on my Ignore List for good reason (but when quoted, his inane remarks are revealed). If the spirit of this article can't be taken into account here, then he should leave this thread.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Skandar Akbar said:

He 'spoke out' when he wrote a book about his time in the sport.

Also he actually works for the AFLD and visits schools and sports training centres discussing anti-doping and what he has said there has certainly had an effect.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Skandar Akbar said:

God, pipo like you make good pipo like me run mad...
How long you are in cycling?
Bassons DID SPEAK OUT 10 years ago. He HAD TO QUIT because (as FL also found out lately) he had to accept reality: NOTHING HE COULD CHANGE AT THE PSYCHOPATHIC Pro-Cycling-World. HE WAS SPIT OUT by GANGSTERS like Pharmstrong...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Skandar Akbar

Take your BS view, your BS name and your BS picture. You are not welcome here...

OMG, you REALLY MADE ME ANNOYED.

To the Admin: Forgive me for my harsh words. But the truth about this Pos(t)er had to be said.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
This is the quote from Bassons that caught my attention most:

"That’s why it’s a mistake to fight the war on doping in terms of health – because, if you actually analyse it, doping responds to a need there too, because you can be healthier doing the Tour de France on drugs than without anything.”

Clearly his understanding of what doping represents in terms of the health of the athlete is far more pragmatic and less judgmental than most of the posters on this forum who, with no exposure or practical experience, have reduced this issue to something very black and white.

Yes, people are so blinkered.

He's someone I trust 100‰ is working in the best interest of the athletes. I would say, rather like Floyd his argument not to dope is purely based on integrity and honesty. I think many athletes have this issue. Dopers or not.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to Bassons, the interviewer and VN. Great great take on doping, and life.

Such a great grasp of the motivations behind doping. Much much better than most of the anti-doping programs.

Bassons for UCI president?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Skandar Akbar

Take your BS view, your BS name and your BS picture. You are not welcome here...

OMG, you REALLY MADE ME ANNOYED.

To the Admin: Forgive me for my harsh words. But the truth about this Pos(t)er had to be said.

Thanks

No need to get worked up over that guy. Just put him on ignore. The Lancestroturfers are a dime a dozen here.

TRENDING THREADS