• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Battle for 2023-2025 WT licenses

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Funny how Lotto struggle this much considering they have a goldmine at their feet in these small Belgian races that no one really cares about. Things are getting tight!

Well they're struggling cause of their last 2 years (especially Covid year), not cause of this year. They didn't ride all those smaller Belgian races the last 2 years, and if they rode them they send a bad team to them cause their good riders were focussing on bigger races.

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/1562318788866875393?s=20&t=tfjZiKP1U_l3_9OaUESsyA

Lotto-Soudal will not let Arnaud de Lie go to the World Cycling Championships, which will take place in Wollongong, Australia. Priority in the [UCI] points race, (same for Campenaerts and Wellens by the way, Ewan is allowed to go).

More like "De Lie doesn't want to go for a u23 worlds" that's being turned into "LTS forbids keeps his riders from going to worlds". Oh man I love the Belgian press.

I would think De Lie wants to go to U23 worlds instead of riding local Belgian races, though I’m not De Lie, so I don’t know his thought process.

He has been saying that he doesn't really want to go for months now in the Walloon press. He's never been a fan of pros riding u23 races (when he was a u23 rider himself) and now that he's already winning a lot in the pro ranks there's absolutely no reason for him to ride a u23 WC. Yes, before the season started it was a goal but he obviously never thought he would win this easily all season long. And yes the fact that he prefers to stay in the WT and that it's easier to take points in Europe at the same time made the decision even easier.

The fact is that some Flemish cycling journalists are still salty that the Lotto boss doesn't do what they want (do interviews all the time, talk to them every race, give them inside scoops, etc. Basically everything Marc Sergeant did in the past) so they try to make Lotto look bad in every possible way they can. Even if it means making up fake stories, like this one where Lotto Soudal apparently forbids their riders from going to Worlds, which just isn't true at all. The difference between the flemish and walloon press is night and day.

Also hilarious that noone seems to remember that De Lie was Vanthourenhouts 2nd choise (I don't see anyone shitting on Nys for not going to worlds when the parcours actually fits him better than De Lie) and that Vanthourenhout was always pretty outspoken about not wanting pros to take away chances from u23 riders in u23 races. He turned into a complete hypocrite with letting Vermeersch ride it last year and letting Uijtdebroecks being Belgians leader in the Tour de l'Avenir this year.

Reactions: proffate
He has been saying that he doesn't really want to go for months now in the Walloon press. He's never been a fan of pros riding u23 races (when he was a u23 rider himself) and now that he's already winning a lot in the pro ranks there's absolutely no reason for him to ride a u23 WC. Yes, before the season started it was a goal but he obviously never thought he would win this easily all season long. And yes the fact that he prefers to stay in the WT and that it's easier to take points in Europe at the same time made the decision even easier.

The fact is that some Flemish cycling journalists are still salty that the Lotto boss doesn't do what they want (do interviews all the time, talk to them every race, give them inside scoops, etc. Basically everything Marc Sergeant did in the past) so they try to make Lotto look bad in every possible way they can. Even if it means making up fake stories, like this one where Lotto Soudal apparently forbids their riders from going to Worlds, which just isn't true at all. The difference between the flemish and walloon press is night and day.

Also hilarious that noone seems to remember that De Lie was Vanthourenhouts 2nd choise (I don't see anyone shitting on Nys for not going to worlds when the parcours actually fits him better than De Lie) and that Vanthourenhout was always pretty outspoken about not wanting pros to take away chances from u23 riders in u23 races. He turned into a complete hypocrite with letting Vermeersch ride it last year and letting Uijtdebroecks being Belgians leader in the Tour de l'Avenir this year.
Nobody's shitting on De Lie, but the fact of the matter is that he is put in these (mentally) unhealthy circumstances and will automatically feel the pressure or expectations to help his team, whether or not skipping the u23 WCC is the best choice or not. So it's easy to say ''he doesn't want to'' but a few months ago, he actually DID want to. But the situation changed because Lotto is in the gutter.

Nobody's shitting on De Lie, but the fact of the matter is that he is put in these (mentally) unhealthy circumstances and will automatically feel the pressure or expectations to help his team, whether or not skipping the u23 WCC is the best choice or not. So it's easy to say ''he doesn't want to'' but a few months ago, he actually DID want to. But the situation changed because Lotto is in the gutter.

If a "few months ago" is 8 months ago then yeah sure, congrats. You can make stuff up like a flemish journalist all you want, it doesn't make it true. Walloon press literally has an interview with him every single week and he was already pretty sure he didn't want to ride it in May, even tho Vanthourenhout had called him when Nys said no. Flemish press making it seem like Lotto forbids its riders to ride the WC is disgusting, because they simply don't. The only rider who would probably go if it wasn't for the points is Campenaerts. Kron is going if selected (needs to show form tho), Ewan was going but didn't get selected, Wellens already responded that he didn't get a red light (won't be selected anyways but).

Reactions: Sandisfan
what year did you make this list?

De Lie has scalped Cav, Merlier, Girmay, Bennett, Kristoff... strange to pick out the defeat of Demare as his crowning achievement.

I was asked who are the best five pure sprinters - I don't have any of the riders you listed in the top 5 - The strangest thing is I've been very complimentary of De Lie's performances in 2022 and praised him for defeating an in-form Demare.

Israel is now 713 points behind Total (1587 behind LTS) on the yearly ranking, which means it's very unlikely they will be able to get WCs for all WT races next year (only one day races as of right now). With the way Total is racing right now (focussing on the easier races and points with guys like Van Gestel, Simon, Dujardin, Ferron, etc.) I just don't see them catching them anymore. They need some big results (like winning a Canadian GP or Lombardia big). Their best hope might be Lotto Soudal catching Movistar or even better EF, they'll have a way better chance at getting those guaranteed WCs then. I don't think it'll happen as there aren't any Belgian races till the 14th of September, but hey you can hope. Teuns also still needs to make up 142 points to be in their top 10. I have a feeling he will be in there at the end of the week (Plouay), but still that's 142 points that won't count.

That being said, what a season Dries Van Gestel is having, impressive. I thought his podium in Gent Wevelgem was a bit of a fluke, but he's proven otherwise. Has been one of the best riders, maybe even the best after De Lie in those smaller Belgian one day races this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If a "few months ago" is 8 months ago then yeah sure, congrats. You can make stuff up like a flemish journalist all you want, it doesn't make it true. Walloon press literally has an interview with him every single week and he was already pretty sure he didn't want to ride it in May, even tho Vanthourenhout had called him when Nys said no. Flemish press making it seem like Lotto forbids its riders to ride the WC is disgusting, because they simply don't. The only rider who would probably go if it wasn't for the points is Campenaerts. Kron is going if selected (needs to show form tho), Ewan was going but didn't get selected, Wellens already responded that he didn't get a red light (won't be selected anyways but).
Congrats. Now try reading what i wrote.