• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BB30 cranks with DI2

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Getting a new BMC TeamMachine frame with BB30 - and moving my DI2 over to it.

Use the Shimano adapter to run the DA 7900 cranks?

-or-

New BB30 crank set? if new BB30, which?

Worried about shifting performance, stiffness, and of course weight...

Thoughts?

The adapter will not add any real weight and the performance of the shifting will not be effected. As for the stiffness of the cranks there should be no difference from what you are used to. The adaptors do not flex. Buy new cranks if you like but don't expect anything different or lighter except for the contents and mass of your wallet.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I ran an adapter on my Cannondale Super Six before SRAM Red BB30 Cranks were available. I made the change to the SRAM BB30 cranset at a later date & there wasn't really any noticeable difference. I think the new BB30 Crankset was a bit lighter & looks better (very important!).
I would suggest running with an adapter & sticking with the Shimano cranset. Send Shimano an email & tell them to sort their sh*t out & get a BB30 version!!
Enjoy the new bike, it sounds great.

aaronm said:
Getting a new BMC TeamMachine frame with BB30 - and moving my DI2 over to it.

Use the Shimano adapter to run the DA 7900 cranks?

-or-

New BB30 crank set? if new BB30, which?

Worried about shifting performance, stiffness, and of course weight...

Thoughts?

Use the 7900 crank. The 7900 big ring is designed for the Di2 FD, other cranks with less stiff rings, won't perform as well. If BB30-use the Wheels manufacturing adapter. If pressfit BB30, use the Enduro adapter.