• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BB30 Question

Holy, it's hard getting info on this. I've got a 2009 Cannondale Super 6 and it came with Cannondale Si Carbon cranks (the FSA ones) which are failing where the pedal threads. So I'm prolly going to buy Sram Red BB30 cranks. The Red cranks are apparently compatable with a GXP BB case, the Cannondale is just called Cannondale BB30 (thanks, Cannondale).

Question: WTF? I thought the standard is BB30, what's this GXP stuff? Do I need to buy a new bottom bracket or will the Red BB30 cranks work with the existing BB? What's GXP vs what Cannondale puts in there?

Cheers.

hulkgogan said:
Holy, it's hard getting info on this. I've got a 2009 Cannondale Super 6 and it came with Cannondale Si Carbon cranks (the FSA ones) which are failing where the pedal threads. So I'm prolly going to buy Sram Red BB30 cranks. The Red cranks are apparently compatable with a GXP BB case, the Cannondale is just called Cannondale BB30 (thanks, Cannondale).

Question: WTF? I thought the standard is BB30, what's this GXP stuff? Do I need to buy a new bottom bracket or will the Red BB30 cranks work with the existing BB? What's GXP vs what Cannondale puts in there?

Cheers.

Two types of Red cranks. GXP-NON BB30 and Red/BB30. I'd also look at Campagnolo with their BB30 adapter. Better bearings, chainrings.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Actually, before we get too far into discussing replacement cranks, exactly what's wrong with the threads on your current ones? Pedal threads can often be easily repaired with a helicoil, which also has the side benefit of being stronger than the original threads.