• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BBC coverage

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
gooner said:
BBC have been getting complaints about the way some of their presenters are conducting interviews.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tivity-Olympic-interviews-say-spectators.html

Jill Douglas gets criticised for being "insensitive" towards Pendelton?
To my knowledge, Jill knows the track scene pretty well and has a good rapport with many of the athletes, both British and foreign.
She was quite "distant" when interviewing Victoria after the Keirin.
Bottom line? Douglas, being a woman sees straight through Pendleton, the media persona, to what lies underneath.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
for like the 5th time, I switched from the BBC coverage to Sporza (which I can't understand, I just like the way Flemish sounds) just because the announcers were so stupid and irritating. and how has every single team GB athlete had a 'great performance', no matter what place they came in?

Cauberg said:
It's called a linking (or sometimes intrusive) r. Occurs when a word ending in an r which is not normally pronounced is followed by a word beginning with a vowel.

Hope this helps.
argyllflyer said:
I'd have to hear where the commentator in this instance is from, but it was Hugh Porter you mentioned initially and he says 'Africer' because he's a west midlander and that's generally the way they say words ending in 'A'. Someone with 'received pronunciation' would not (in my opinion) turn any 'A' ending word into slang-like 'uh' or 'er'. But yes, if the word following, as noted above, begins with another vowel the ending 'a' is likely to be altered, this will vary from region to region though.
thanks, don't know why I am so anal about something as small and stupid as this, but it is nice to finally get an answer

The gushing over Ennis seems a bit OTT to me. I haven't followed all the hoopla leading up to the Games, so is there some special story behind her or is it just because she was made the face of the Olympics and therefore feels 'more important'?

Jeriko said:
The gushing over Ennis seems a bit OTT to me. I haven't followed all the hoopla leading up to the Games, so is there some special story behind her or is it just because she was made the face of the Olympics and therefore feels 'more important'?

Pretty much. Photogenic and highly marketable. The reaction to her gold is OTT compared to some other sports (even in terms of athletics the other 2 golds yesterday were more impressive). Sadly for me the overblown media hype detracts from what was an outstanding performance.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
Jeriko said:

She was one of the favourites in 2008 but had to withdraw at the last moment due to injury.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Jeriko said:

BBC bigging her up to be their Sports Personality Of The Year; has to be her over Wiggins because athletics is a 'BBC sport' whereas cycling isn't.

Cav won SPOTY last year, BBC can't have a cyclist winning two years in a row.

stampedingviking said:
BBC bigging her up to be their Sports Personality Of The Year; has to be her over Wiggins because athletics is a 'BBC sport' whereas cycling isn't.

Cav won SPOTY last year, BBC can't have a cyclist winning two years in a row.

Nah wiggins will win.

Isnt it put to a vote anyway? bbc tried their best to get some drivers to win a few times in recent years because car racing is their big sell, but thankfully the voting public rejected this.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Nah wiggins will win.

Isnt it put to a vote anyway? bbc tried their best to get some drivers to win a few times in recent years because car racing is their big sell, but thankfully the voting public rejected this.

BBC will do all they can to 'promote' Ennis as the face of the Olympics for the next few months to keep her name fresh in people's minds. Cav won last year because of a large internet campaign, will there be the same appetite for Wiggo over someone like Ennis?

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Nah wiggins will win.

Yes thankfully F1 champion Jenson Button was beaten by err... Ryan Giggs, for god knows what. The public are morons.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
jimbags said:
Yes thankfully F1 champion Jenson Button was beaten by err... Ryan Giggs, for god knows what. The public are morons.

To be fair in that instance the award was seen more of general recognition of being a top class sportsperson for 15+ years then what he achieved that year. I'm a big fan of Jense but Ryan was a worthy winner that year. (We didn't know his seedy lifestyle then)

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Well there's a lifetime achievement award for that.

I can't recall the Sports Personality of the Year award being used as a career award at any other time. The clues in the title.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
jimbags said:
Well there's a lifetime achievement award for that.

I can't recall the Sports Personality of the Year award being used as a career award at any other time. The clues in the title.

Well in 2009 he was the PFA footballer of the year, made his 700th start for Utd, scored his 100th premier league goal, won the league cup, won the premier league, runner up in the Champions league.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Interesting use of the playground colloquialism "grass up" when talking about the other guys complaining about the British athlete in the sailing.

I dont actually know what happened there, just found the words used strange.

I've been following it on the BBC and the NOS, you get 2 one sided pictures that way. If only I spoke Danish i could get all 3 one sided stories. :D

Very gutted for the Dutch guy, went for gold and took a risk instead of settling for bronze/silver and it cost him a podium.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Why is Hugh Porter reading out exactly what the stadium announcer is at exactly the same time at the medal ceremony? He's a mess this Olympics.

TRENDING THREADS