• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BBC News, Sunday, 10pm

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will top the Sport Section

• First British Tour Win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Normandy said:
With its larger TV audience I would normally expect it to be the Open.

However, with everything else being controlled and planned by Sky at the moment, and in the same way the BBC Sports Personailty was fixed for Cav, I would not be surprised if it is the Tour

I feel like a fool for biting, but here goes. How was SPOTY fixed?

Hopefully it will be the Tour making headlines however BBC may decide to put there own televised event up first. With the olympic road race next weekend and G.B expecting another shed load of medals at this years games they may give Wiggo the main headline.

It's good to see Sky giving cycling the headlines after ploughing so much into British cycling recently. In recent years the tour has had very few minutes on Sky sports news however this year Wiggins has been given lots of airtime.

Caruut said:
I feel like a fool for biting, but here goes. How was SPOTY fixed?

It wasn't. Just people who normally didn't care about cycling realising what a great achievement it was for Cav to be world champion and win the green jersey.

Obviously when people in todays world don't get what they want it has to be a fix because they are used to getting everything they want like spoilt little children :rolleyes: :D

Hmmm, its an interesting one and depends very much on what happnes in the golf. If a brit, or Tiger Woods, wins the gold I think that'll take precedence. Wiggins winning would be second (yesterday's stage made the BBC 10 o'clock news) and then the cricket - although we need a few days without rain for that...

Things have changed considerably though. Only a few years ago one man and his dog took notice of cycling and even the dog wasn't that interested. You knew where you were then! Then a few months back the BBC sport front page had as its main story "should hoy or kenny go to the olympics".

Sorry but are all those claiming some other sport will take prescedence serious?

There is no way a brit winning the Tour (evidence of Brit supremacy in sport, and especially with olympics just 5 days away) is not the main story unless they make it the main story on Saturday and make clear that sunday is just a proccession.

Viewing figures on ITV4 have been excellent, over 700,000 for some of the evening highlight shows. Last years final stage pulled in a million viewers, I reckon they'll beat that easily this year.

Pete

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
They confirmed today that it would be shown on both ITV1 and ITV4.

Yesterday ITV's 6.30pm news reported on Stage 17. Didn't watch todays.

Yesterday the BBC's 6pm news had reports on the golf and cricket but not the TDF. Today though they reversed that. There was quite a nice piece on the Tour. I think it will be the top sports news on Sunday as long as a Brit doesn't win the golf. Theres a GP on Sunday too.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I was being ecumenical; there are a lot of Americans on here, although admittedly most still picking their scab in the clinic.

My LA scabs healed years ago. Wait, I don't think I actually ever had them. :p

More Strides than Rides said:
Whabam! Hit where it hurts!

Careful! Let's just hope Wigo's path does not follow that of other Tour winners.

Back on point. A Tour win has to be a greater highlight than a British Open win. Brits have dominated the Open over the years... ho, hum, another Open win in the bag. But a Tour win needs no further explanation.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Wiggins is a disaster for British cyclists!!

Went in to pick up my bike from the shop this morning and had to wait while three "bandwagon jumpers" were shown around the offerings for........mountain bikes. Never, ever had to wait before.

Still, it's nice to ride without your bottom bracket sounding like a cement mixer.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Sorry but are all those claiming some other sport will take prescedence serious?

There is no way a brit winning the Tour (evidence of Brit supremacy in sport, and especially with olympics just 5 days away) is not the main story unless they make it the main story on Saturday and make clear that sunday is just a proccession.

Need to have a look on there today, Cav/le Tour only mentioned as an also ran (main coverage golf surprise, surprise).

JetSet said:
Viewing figures on ITV4 have been excellent, over 700,000 for some of the evening highlight shows. Last years final stage pulled in a million viewers, I reckon they'll beat that easily this year.

Pete
That's just slightly higher than in Norway, even though we are only 5 million people...

The viewing figures in Norway has dropped a whole lot this year though due to the absence of Hushovd and the enslavement of EBH.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I notice a poster reckons it's only 16 days before the greatest cyclist alive returns. Well if you want a tour rider Hinault is still alive and if you want winners then van Looy and Maertens and Kelly are still alive. They probably won't "return" but one of them might still be the greatest cyclist alive.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
"I notice a poster reckons it's only 16 days before the greatest cyclist alive returns. Well if you want a tour rider Hinault is still alive and if you want winners then van Looy and Maertens and Kelly are still alive. They probably won't "return" but one of them might still be the greatest cyclist alive. "

I've a nagging feeling you've forgotten somebody there. Teddy ? Neddy ? Something like that........;)

maltiv said:
That's just slightly higher than in Norway, even though we are only 5 million people...

The viewing figures in Norway has dropped a whole lot this year though due to the absence of Hushovd and the enslavement of EBH.

ITV4 are claiming a 33% increase in viewing figures every year since they won the broadcasting rights. There's also 30,000-40,000 who watch the stages on British Eurosport and more than likely a similar number on Eurosport HD. An upward trend that will hopefully continue. There is huge potential to expand the viewing figures for cycling, for example The men's Wimbledon final had 16.9 million viewers, every F1 race shown on the BBC gets 5-6 million.

Pete

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:
Wiggins is a disaster for British cyclists!!

Went in to pick up my bike from the shop this morning and had to wait while three "bandwagon jumpers" were shown around the offerings for........mountain bikes. Never, ever had to wait before.

Still, it's nice to ride without your bottom bracket sounding like a cement mixer.

Well I suspect this is tongue in cheek but if your bike shop stays open because of the bandwagon jumpers providing extra customers rather than closing due to lack of custom, I'd say that was quite the opposite of "a disaster". Queueing at your bike shop is better than having no bike shop to queue at, no?

Perhaps Sky's marginal gains will provide some marginal gains for the economy.