• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

begining mtb'er

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
guys,

lately been riding bush most eekends, and want to know should i buy a pair of clip in shoes or should i just use normal pedals? at the moment i have a them plastic toe clip things but they seem to not do much. the terrain can be very full on (hard to walk on let alone ride, steep & rocky/ cliffs)

just chasing thoughts on shoes/ pedals etc... pro/cons?

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Definately get some clipless pedals and shoes.

They will take a few rides to get used to. Be sure to practice with them on the easiest trails you ride before moving on to more technical terrain.

The advantages are many.

I like shimano SPD pedals and ride in Specialized Comp Mountain shoes. Both deliver good performance without breaking the bank.

I highly recommend getting shoes that have a buckle over the top part of your foot. They hold the foot much better than velcro.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
hea lad. get some clipless and do your apprenticeship

all shoes now are good. ignore bling- soul less

lean up a wall clip in an out until u are board. then it will be second nature and you will use 'safety pedals' (well thats what i cal them! better contact with machine and more control cross country)

keep to your experience level. try to go harder and faster on less technical stuff first - to up your skill and response level before trying ANYTHING dangerous.

enjoy it

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Find some riders that are better than you and you'll learn more riding and talking with them than you can here. Good luck and throw out your toe clips and go clipless. Toe clips can be very dangerous as they are unpredictable getting out of. You are better off with flats or spds/similar.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd recomend the big red shimano's if you are new and concerned, lots of platform, double sided nice!
1, loosen the springs right off first...
2, No technical trails till you are confident!
3, learn to pedal through obstacles...

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
windnwheels said:
I'd recomend the big red shimano's ..., lots of platform, double sided nice!

The red Shimano DX pedals were discontinued a fair while ago so may be hard to find :(

Shimano now do the PD-M647 as the DX clipless pedal. the new pedal has a lighter composite body instead of the alloy body of the red version and also as the newer binder design that clears mud and dirt better. I'd personally avoid the M545 and M424 pedals as they still have the older mud-sucking binders.

Crank Bros do a pedal called the "Mallet" which is a bit chunkier again but although it was aimed squarely at the DH/FR market makes a good "all-mountain" pedal.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Cleat Allignment

Make sure you get some help in aligning the cleats and don’t over tightening when you are beginning. Once comfortable with stopping and starting, get some help on cleat alignment to ensure you are not going to bring on any injuries. It’s probably best to visit a bike store you trust.

There are some pointers on how to align the cleats in the article here http://www.xinqiwen.com The article is for a road bike the principles are the same.

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I thought we might be able to use one of these so I thought I would make one. Just come on here and introduce yourself.
Hi...
I am Ricky. I love video games, movies, and the other stuff most people like. I also play sports. I am looking forward to a great community.Now you introduce yourself.

TRENDING THREADS