• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ben Healy is not another Benny Hill but excels in hilly terrain

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well he has had little or no support in Amstel , La Flethce and particularly at LBL from the team....Everyone else MIA ...I know Chaves was therabouts at La Fletche but everywhere else Healy was riding alone

Healy had to expend so much energy in positioning alone that it is not wonder he cant sprint although sprinting is not his strong suite

He seems like a tough little *** who can TT ...I quite fancy him as the new Thomas De Gendt

But he can TT pretty well so maybe a GC recruit depends on what he is like over 3 weeks . But I hope not as there are too many riders vying for 8th place in a Grand Tours

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's not Jeff Healey neither :cool:
He's able to see moments and seizes them using his capabilities.
Regarding L-B-L I don't think he could've done much different.
His high cadance soft pedaling and seemingly endless stamina to me seems to suit very high mountain acents much better than puncheur classics.

Two months ago I didn't know anything about him
His almost imperceptible entrance as a blind passenger has amazed me just as much as Vingegaard's apperance in his first Tour de Pologne.

They are probably a bit better with numbers than with words.
They would need some funky numbers to juggle with in order to conclude Healy can podium the Giro. Feel free to look up his best climbing results on halfway decent climbs against decent opposition. Lost 11+ minutes to G. Martin in the queen stage of Tour de l'Ain '22. Lost 11+ minutes to Evenepoel on Gaustatoppen in Norway '22. Lost 7+ minutes to Higuita in the queen stage of Romandie '22. Basically their conclusion is based on his increased points (due to results in hilly races) and some TT results. So i'm not convinced they are better with numbers.

Unless by "podium in Rome" they mean he is going to contest the sprint on the final day and finish top 3.

Last edited:
  • Wow
They would need some funky numbers to juggle with in order to conclude Healy can podium the Giro. Feel free to look up his best climbing results on halfway decent climbs against decent opposition. Lost 11+ minutes to G. Martin in the queen stage of Tour de l'Ain '22. Lost 11+ minutes to Evenepoel on Gaustatoppen in Norway '22. Lost 7+ minutes to Higuita in the queen stage of Romandie '22. Basically their conclusion is based on his increased points (due to results in hilly races) and some TT results. So i'm not convinced they are better with numbers.

Unless by "podium in Rome" they mean he is going to contest the sprint on the final day and finish top 3.

I think their point is that 'first good GC result' is difficult to predict, generally. And that some riders have come out of more of a nowhere than Healy going into the Giro, this year, and done a good GC.

I have really not paid attention to him before March and was a little surprised at how good his TTing is.

Yet, I don't think he will be able to podium...

The difference between the 2022 and '23 versions of Healy is so immense that it doesn't make sense to use past results as a reference. But with a lot more proven GC riders on the start list, I also very much doubt he'll be able to podium, but stranger things have happened. However there's also a chance that his form has peaked, and he'll be far from his best in three weeks time.

If I were him, I'll target a stage win, and then we'll if he can develop into a GC threat in the future. But if he has the legs, then he should of course just go for it now, cause who knows if he will ever get back to such a level again.

Just goes to show that you can deduce almost anything using statistics. If they (PCS) threw in some other variables, like, having ever completed a grand tour, I guess the numbers would come out different.
A great website is the spurious correlations one:

number-people-who-drowned-by-falling-into-a-swimming-pool_number-of-films-niclas-cage-appeared-in.png

where you can clearly see that the number of pool deaths depends on how many movies Nicolas Cage appears in.

Last edited:
All your examples are from 2022 and Healy has clearly reached another level this spring, because based on his 2022 results you wouldn't have predicted him finishing 2nd in AGR o 4th in LBL either.

Not saying he's gonna be a GC threat, it's a very long shot, but we have very little data of how he's gonna perform on long climbs after he has made his big progress. Statistically, most of the guys who finish high in LBL are able to pull off at least one good GT during their career sooner or later, but he could be one of the exceptions, of course.

All your examples are from 2022 and Healy has clearly reached another level this spring, because based on his 2022 results you wouldn't have predicted him finishing 2nd in AGR o 4th in LBL either.

Not saying he's gonna be a GC threat, it's a very long shot, but we have very little data of how he's gonna perform on long climbs after he has made his big progress. Statistically, most of the guys who finish high in LBL are able to pull off at least one good GT during their career sooner or later, but he could be one of the exceptions, of course.
It's like saying a guy you don't know could win the Giro. That means there is no argument to be made against him winning the Giro, except that it's bloody unlikely regardless.
He was bad at mountain climbs, he improved at hilly climbs, so now he will be a worldbeater at mountain climbs.

I'm agreeing that PCS analysis has very little substance, I just found your examples to be similar in that regard.
My examples are based on actual real world performances of this same rider of the last year. They are the only examples there are, there simply are no other MT climbs he did any more recent. Unlike PCS, i did not "wish" for them to have happened, they actually did. They are also not cherrypicked, they are the hardest mountain stages Healy did most recently. I am not leaving out any better results to build my case. This year, he did Coppi/Bartali and wasn't even able to beat Schmid on a parcours with 5k climbs. How on earth is he going to podium the Giro?

Reactions: lemon cheese cake