• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ben O'Connor: Baby face becomes conqueror

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Think it's somewhat telling that we're framing 8th of the GC group as strong. Contarary to when he first got the 5 minute advantage when the assumption was 'if he doesn't have a bad day he wins'
I maintain it was stupid to give him 5min. 5th-8th consistently may have been enough from there with only just over 2 weeks to go, but he also would be better than 8th if he didn't keep trying to follow roglic when he surges, sucked in every time.

But it's also true he had already lost quite a bit of time in that first steep finish.

Reactions: RJH
I maintain it was stupid to give him 5min. 5th-8th consistently may have been enough from there with only just over 2 weeks to go, but he also would be better than 8th if he didn't keep trying to follow roglic when he surges, sucked in every time.

But it's also true he had already lost quite a bit of time in that first steep finish.
I would have been of that opinion at the time, they (Bora) could quite easily have given him just 4 minutes in stage 6 knowing that they could reel him in quite quickly in the stages ahead. But then they would have had to defend the red jersey for much longer which by itself may have taken its toll on Bora and Roglic would have been marked by every other rider in the race. By allowing O'Connor such an advantage it meant that he became the new barometer. It was as much of a mistake by Movistar and the other GC teams given the fact that they might not get the time back before Sunday.

I don't think O'Connor can win the race from this position unless Roglic crashes or suffers a racing incident but he still has a decent chance of finishing second which I think would be a great result for him.

Reactions: Cookster15 and RJH
Under the circumstances, another 2-3 days in the red jersey is probably the best one can hope for. Not a bad run. Everything will probably have to line up to get a spot on the podium.
Odds right now at 4 to 7 that he podiums, which implies a better chance at getting on the podium than not.

Odds for podium:
Roglic 1 to 14 (ie bet 14, get your original 14 back plus 1)
Mas 2 to 7 (bet 7, get your original 7 plus 2)
OConnor 4 to 7
Carapaz 2 to 1
Skjelmose 11 to 2
Landa 7 to 1

O’Conner is being sold short by the pathetic Australian sporting media. Only the ABC is reporting his feats. Lazy journalists for Australian media outlets just doing mindless copy and paste of AFL and Rugby League. You would hope at least one or two would actually do some proper journalism to inform the Australian public. Watch as they wake up when O’Conner gives away the jersey. Hopefully he seals a podium spot.

O’Conner is being sold short by the pathetic Australian sporting media. Only the ABC is reporting his feats. Lazy journalists for Australian media outlets just doing mindless copy and paste of AFL and Rugby League. You would hope at least one or two would actually do some proper journalism to inform the Australian public. Watch as they wake up when O’Conner gives away the jersey. Hopefully he seals a podium spot.

He's been getting regular coverage on RSN through Matt Keenan.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's been getting regular coverage on RSN through Matt Keenan.
But how many Australians access their sports news via RSN? I think RSN was created for horse racing? Personally I’ve never been there.

Another Google search on O’Conner today returns nothing outside of the ABC. Where are the major newspapers? Fox Sports? Surely it’s worth an online story? One less AFL, Rugby League, cricket, “Raygun” or even F1 story nobody will miss.

But how many Australians access their sports news via RSN? I think RSN was created for horse racing? Personally I’ve never been there.

Another Google search on O’Conner today returns nothing outside of the ABC. Where are the major newspapers? Fox Sports? Surely it’s worth an online story? One less AFL, Rugby League, cricket, “Raygun” or even F1 story nobody will miss.
NBC=Peacock in US market. Plenty of support and interviews with Ben.

NBC=Peacock in US market. Plenty of support and interviews with Ben.
Great. So possibly better known in America than Oz.

Despite winning 2 of the three GTs, leading the 3rd after 17 stages, a men’s elite world title and various monuments and classics we are back to the level of public ignorance of cycling in Australia that existed when Phil Anderson first put the sport on the map in a beer commercial 🙄

• Wow

I don't know why you are surprised! If it's not afl, rugby, cricket or horse racing no one cares here, unless it's an Olympic gold medal event for Aus!

I'm surprised we get as much live coverage here by sbs as we do, it's really very good and since we lost gcn I am very grateful.

Cycling is a fringe sport here, even if we are successful at it - the TDF being the only exception, that gets still media if an Aussie does something of note. Still 95% of people wouldn't have a clue who Pogacar is.

Australia was winning back to back Ironman world championships for years and no one cared. It's like that I guess, which you might identify with as you also may not care 😅

Last edited:
That was 2010, and included Porte in the youth jersey; when Evans was in pink they didn’t have the KOM or points, ie never the 3 main jerseys.

It’s a good stat, but it falls just short.
Lloyd won both KOM and combativity in 2010.

uazytUmTnBFVsTa5cGXXo6-320-80.jpg