• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bernard Kohl - "Not possible..."

never tested positive

“I was tested 200 times during my career, and 100 times I had drugs in my body,” he said. “I was caught, but 99 other times, I wasn’t. Riders think they can get away with doping because most of the time they do. Even if there is a new test for blood doping, I’m not even sure it will scare riders into stopping. The problem is just that bad.”

http://www.businessinsider.com/lance-armstrong-doping-tour-de-france-2010-10#ixzz11UWXC48L

Just highlights what anyone with two surviving brain cells has always known. One clean rider can't beat 188 doped riders, especially not in three weeks riding over 3000 km.

I thought the UCI-WADA-Keystone Cops analogy was particularly apropos.

Of course we only have Kohl's own word that he was tested 200 times... and that he actually had stuff in his blood/urine half the time... and we don't know how many of those tests showed something suspicious.

I seem to remember a discussion about whether some other athlete was or wasn't "the most tested in the world"...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Kohl's comments are not illuminating for anyone who finished top 20 (if not top 30, 40 , 50 or who got to the end) of a GT, which i think is pretty much how i feel and i reckon most intelligent cycling fans read the sport.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
Just highlights what anyone with two surviving brain cells has always known. One clean rider can't beat 188 doped riders, especially not in three weeks riding over 3000 km.

I thought the UCI-WADA-Keystone Cops analogy was particularly apropos.

Yep, yet you still have all these idiots with zero racing experience on these forums arguing who is clean and who is not. :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Thankfully for Kohl he was a vegetarian, otherwise he would have tested positive more often.

Kohl says that you can't win the Tour clean. That much is true given that this year you would have been up against Contador, Menchov, Schleck. However, if everyone was clean then somebody clean would win.

When asked in 2009 by a journalist: "Can you assure us that you've never taken any banned performance-enhancing products, nor used any banned methods, and can you take this opportunity to make a strong statement for clean cycling?"

Beefcake Contador replied: "I'm available 365 days a year, which is something I accept with good grace for the sport I love. I will continue to have this attitude."

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Kohl's comments are not illuminating for anyone who finished top 20 (if not top 30, 40 , 50 or who got to the end) of a GT, which i think is pretty much how i feel and i reckon most intelligent cycling fans read the sport.

It goes beyond that, anyone who has raced or race at elite amateur /semi pro or even elite junior level reads his comments and goes: "No **** Kohl ...duh...":eek:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
It goes beyond that, anyone who has raced or race at elite amateur /semi pro or even elite junior level reads his comments and goes: "No **** Kohl ...duh...":eek:

I agree that Kohl's point is obvious, but to you really think he should be ridiculed for saying something that no other professional cyclist is saying?

Basso, Millar, and other "reformed dopers" aren't saying anything remotely like that.

Wallace said:
I agree that Kohl's point is obvious, but to you really think he should be ridiculed for saying something that no other professional cyclist is saying?

Basso, Millar, and other "reformed dopers" aren't saying anything remotely like that.

I think he's the first doper to admit to 24/7/365 doping. From what i have read all the other got into a really dark place and only doped once and got caught. Oh, and they had their worst results while they were doped all their wins were clean.

JRTinMA said:
I think he's the first doper to admit to 24/7/365 doping. From what i have read all the other got into a really dark place and only doped once and got caught. Oh, and they had their worst results while they were doped all their wins were clean.

Basso did not even get to that dark place. He was only thinking about doping. Luckily he was caught before he doped;)

If it wasn't for the pesky AFLD Kohl would be riding today on a big contract and passing dope tests like they were going out if fashion. If he was cheeky he'd even be posting his passport online as an example of a clean rider.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
At this speed, he's right. It is impossible. You need to go back to when the peloton would ride along at 25mph, as opposed to 30; Or when Hinault and Lemond rode up Alpe d'Huez in 48 minutes, as opposed to the sub-40 norm of today.

weird, as this year's tour was won at just over 24 miles per hour...39.8 something for an average speed...just over 24 mph that for total of course...but what is your point?