• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Beryl Burton - Reg Harris !

Ok my learned friends these two great British cyclists were both prominent racing cyclists as I was growing, so my simple question to all of you is " were they as good as I perceived them to be " or was I guilty of being fooled at a young age.
Just like LA fooled many of us years later.

blessings

beryl b will always remain one of my greatest cycling heros.............i believe
that she was always 100% honest

i know less about reg...............being more professional he might have resorted to low octane boosters but in the absence of any evidence.......i'm guessing clean too

Mark L

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Try this thread.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=19589

hondated said:
In retrospect I now think that it was stupid of me to ask such an inane question and has someone has mentioned in their response to the question she is not here to defend herself so I have decided to with draw the question and apologise for even asking it in the first place and by doing so besmirching her and all of her achievements.

Seems I had too much spare time over Christmas.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
hondated said:
Ok Fair cop TWH but I still cannot help but wonder !

Well you could simply read Reg Harris's autobiography. Harris stated that he knew that some other competitors took amphetamines, so he thought he'd give them a try. He got injected at one track meet, but didn't think it did much good. I think his normal drug of choice was cognac. This was in the 1950s, were drugs even banned then?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
That's the report I read in an old cycling magazine donated to the club back in the day. Lots of traffic. And something about him riding out in amongst it as much as he could.

Yes the allegation was that Engers used to have a following car, and it would hold back traffic and let it through in batches in order to assist him as much as possible. Of course this was not proved at the RTTC enquiry.

A futher point of interest is that this was possibly the first ever British record where the rider used a skin-suit, Dave Lloyd told me he'd supplied one to Alf.

TRENDING THREADS