• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best All Rounder of the past 20 years

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best all rounder of past 20 years

• Other(please specify who)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
if that is the list we have to choose the best all-arounder from, how can it be anybody except Sean Kelly? looking over to see him on the start line (in his prime) of any race, from PR to a TdF stage, is more intimidating than anybody else on that list

To be considered an all rounder you should be able to climb, sprint and also be reasonable at TT. From currently active riders I would certainly include Gilbert and Cancellara ahead of Samu (even if I like Samu better). I voted for Bettini btw. But in five years time there will only be one contender for a poll like this, and that is of course EBH;)

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Armstrong: won a classic, world champion, 7 time tour champion, 22(?) stage wins. The best tter of his era and only Pantani could match his climbing ability in 099 and 2000. You could make an argument for Indurain too, and I think he's pretty even with him but he wasn't the best climber of his era and was much too conservative and did he win a classic?

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
jordan5000 said:
Armstrong: won a classic, world champion, 7 time tour champion, 22(?) stage wins. The best tter of his era and only Pantani could match his climbing ability in 099 and 2000. You could make an argument for Indurain too, and I think he's pretty even with him but he wasn't the best climber of his era and was much too conservative and did he win a classic?

He won San Sebastian in 1990, and was also 2nd i believe in the 1995 Duitama Worlds. I included him on the basis of his TT and GC skills, but also due to the fact that he showed that he had some one day potential, and from what I heard he had a fairly good sprint as well.

To everyone else: I get it, I shouldn't have included Samu in the poll, and there are other changes people might want to. You don't need to point this out again. Please just debate on the other names on the list, and add others such as Di Luca or Bartoli to the discussion.

scullster46 said:
He won San Sebastian in 1990, and was also 2nd i believe in the 1995 Duitama Worlds. I included him on the basis of his TT and GC skills, but also due to the fact that he showed that he had some one day potential, and from what I heard he had a fairly good sprint as well.

He also came 2nd in the 1993 worlds.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
And was undoubtedly stronger than Armstrong there.

If he was stronger he would have won, no excuses, no crying the better man won that day. Remind me, how many mountain stages did the Big Mig win?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jordan5000 said:
If he was stronger he would have won, no excuses, no crying the better man won that day. Remind me, how many mountain stages did the Big Mig win?

Lol, you don't understand cycling if you really think that is the case. The strongest doesn't always win. No one had heard of Armstrong in 1993, so they didn't react to when he attacked. If Big Mig attacked they'd have all been on his wheel right away. No way was Armstrong the strongest there :) Besides, Big Mig's world medal table speaks for it self. It's better than that of Armstrong's.

Guess what, Big Mig was also the strongest in 1995 when he got second behind Olano :)

El Pistolero said:
Lol, you don't understand cycling if you really think that is the case. The strongest doesn't always win. No one had heard of Armstrong in 1993, so they didn't react to when he attacked. If Big Mig attacked they'd have all been on his wheel right away. No way was Armstrong the strongest there :) Besides, Big Mig's world medal table speaks for it self. It's better than that of Armstrong's.

Guess what, Big Mig was also the strongest in 1995 when he got second behind Olano :)
Armstrong was the US champ and had won a stage of the Tour that year, among other good results. People definitely knew him back then, although you're right, he wasn't a favourite and Indurain was probably the strongest that day.

RE Armstrong not being the best all-rounder, it's worth noting that he wasn't ever a truly dominant all-rounder. He went from one day races to GTs, but never did both extremely well at the same time, in the same season.

Contrast with Kelly's '84 season:
1st Paris-Roubaix
1st LBL
5th TdF; 2nd points classification

I think that's what a real all-rounder looks like: stones, Ardennes, GT. I'm not saying guys like Armstrong (and The Cricket and Ulle) couldn't get results of Kelly's calibre in all types of races all year long in the same season, but I am saying that he (they) didn't.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Armstrong was the US champ and had won a stage of the Tour that year, among other good results. People definitely knew him back then, although you're right, he wasn't a favourite and Indurain was probably the strongest that day.

Bit of an overstatement on my side. But It remains true that they didn't see Armstrong as a threat, so they gave him some free time. A little bit too much free time, but it wouldn't be the first time that happened in cycling ;)

If Indurain made the same move as Armstrong everyone would have been on his wheel.

TRENDING THREADS